Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Michael

Default lighting gas pilot light

The pilot light on my natural gas furnace appears to have gone out -
there's no flame, and when the thermostat signals the furnace to go
on, there's a lot of clicking but no fire lighting.

Can I just strike a match and relight the pilot? Is there any danger,
like an explosion of gas that's been leaking? The furnace room (about
8 feet square) doesn't smell of gas.

Thanks,
Michael

On 30 Oct 2003 13:05:25 -0800, someone wrote:

The pilot light on my natural gas furnace appears to have gone out -
there's no flame, and when the thermostat signals the furnace to go
on, there's a lot of clicking but no fire lighting.

Are you sure it has a pilot light? Lots of clicking sounds like
electric ignition.

-v.
user

On 30 Oct 2003 13:05:25 -0800, Michael wrote:
The pilot light on my natural gas furnace appears to have gone out -
there's no flame, and when the thermostat signals the furnace to go
on, there's a lot of clicking but no fire lighting.

Can I just strike a match and relight the pilot? Is there any danger,
like an explosion of gas that's been leaking? The furnace room (about
8 feet square) doesn't smell of gas.

If it's clicking, you probably have a piezo igniter, and not a pilot light.