James

Default wiring confusion/ouside light

Hi,

I have had some good response from this newsgroup before, so I hope someone
can help me understand this.

The objective is to fit an additional outside light, a lantern style one
with PIR. I want to avoid complicated wiring if possible.

Currently my house has two outside lights, one near the garage, one at the
side of the house, near the kitchen. I've traced the wiring of these lights,
and this is what I have found:

- Outside switch below the garage light, there appears to be a piece of 2
core cable running from this to the actual garage light
- Outside switch below the garage light, there appears to be a piece of 2
core cable running from this to the house fuse box
- Outside switch below the garage light, there appears to be a 2 + E cable
running from this, outside the house, back into the kitchen where it
terminates into a switch.
- From the garage light to the light at the side of the house, there is a
piece of what appears to be 2 core cable

The outside garage light switch is a single weatherproof switch. The kitchen
light switch has 2 switches, and a red light (like a typical shower switch
has). One of these switches controls the kitchen inside light, the other
controls the outside light.

It appears to me that there is a loop circuit between the outside lights, I
have no idea whether this is normal or 'best practice' etc.. Either the
outside switch or the kitchen one (for the outside light) switch both lights
off. This is not a problem that I cannot control them independently.

The red light on the kitchen switch never lights up, and I have no idea of
the purpose of this. I have taken the face panel off the kitchen switch and
it appears as if both the kitchen light switch and the outside one have a 3
cables (+, -, E) wired up. I'm assuming that one of these must be the 2 + E
cable that comes into the kitchen wall about 70cm above this switch, the
other is obviously the wiring for the inside kitchen light (there is also
another switch at the other side of the kitchen that controls the same
inside light).

The red light has a positive and negative cable attached. This appears to go
into the wall cavity.

I want to fix the new outside light round the corner from the side wall
light. The most obvious place for a switch is where the existing red light +
2 switch panel is. Based on the information I have provided here, what is
the most likely way I can wire a new switch, or make use of the wires in the
red light + 2 switch panel? (if I have to buy new switches, that is not an
issue)

Also it would be nice if I could turn the new light off independently of the
existing two.

Thanks,

James

BigWallop

"James" wrote in message
Hi,

I have had some good response from this newsgroup before, so I hope

someone
can help me understand this.

The objective is to fit an additional outside light, a lantern style one
with PIR. I want to avoid complicated wiring if possible.

snipped

Thanks,

James

Try looking through the wiring schemes on this site:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...d_switches.htm

Light switch wiring [email protected] UK diy 6 May 8th 05 09:12 PM
Light Bulb Phil UK diy 18 March 27th 05 05:50 PM
Installing light fixture - wiring question Dona Home Repair 4 November 16th 04 07:37 AM
wiring light swiches robert horsey UK diy 4 October 3rd 04 07:38 PM
Light bulb malfunction Oldylocks Home Repair 12 February 5th 04 01:51 PM