Posted to alt.home.repair
John F.

Default Propane Stove: Pilot Light Won't Stay Light Testing Thermopile

The pilot light on my propane cast iron stove won't stay light.It is an
Empire Comfort/American Hearth product. I found a Troubleshootingt mfg.
guide on line and it advises to test thermopile MVolt and gas valve MV
readings. MY question is: what kind of electrical tester do I need to
measure up to 325 millivolts or more. Is there an inexpensive and easy to
use model? Thanks. John

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

John F. wrote:
The pilot light on my propane cast iron stove won't stay light.It is
an Empire Comfort/American Hearth product. I found a
Troubleshootingt mfg. guide on line and it advises to test thermopile
MVolt and gas valve MV readings. MY question is: what kind of
electrical tester do I need to measure up to 325 millivolts or more.
Is there an inexpensive and easy to use model? Thanks. John

Usually they are so cheap, they are just replaced not tested.

Today most digital multi-meters will do the job.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

"John F." wrote:

The pilot light on my propane cast iron stove won't stay light.It is an
Empire Comfort/American Hearth product. I found a Troubleshootingt mfg.
guide on line and it advises to test thermopile MVolt and gas valve MV
readings. MY question is: what kind of electrical tester do I need to
measure up to 325 millivolts or more. Is there an inexpensive and easy to
use model? Thanks. John

They probably run about $30 so it probably isn't a bad idea to have
one around for when one fails. But before I replaced it, I'd give
the area a shot with some compressed air.

I replaced mine fhe first two seasons--- Then, 5 yrs or so ago,
someone told me about the compressed air and I haven't replaced one
since.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"John F." wrote:

The pilot light on my propane cast iron stove won't stay light.It is
an Empire Comfort/American Hearth product. I found a
Troubleshootingt mfg. guide on line and it advises to test thermopile
MVolt and gas valve MV readings. MY question is: what kind of
electrical tester do I need to measure up to 325 millivolts or more.
Is there an inexpensive and easy to use model? Thanks. John

They probably run about $30 so it probably isn't a bad idea to have
one around for when one fails. But before I replaced it, I'd give
the area a shot with some compressed air.

Good point. Dust or misalignment can keep the thermocouple from
becoming hot enough to work.

I replaced mine fhe first two seasons--- Then, 5 yrs or so ago,
someone told me about the compressed air and I haven't replaced one
since.

Jim

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
John F.

Found a local stove guy opened on a Sunday who had acomparable thermopile
to mine. Interestingly the old one tested to almost half a volt indicating
it was good. Bought the new one anyway ($39.00) and installed it. She
fired up right away. SoI guess the test isn't the final answer. Thanks
again for input.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"John F." wrote:

[...]

Gas fireplace won't light Paul Stivers Home Repair 9 September 19th 12 03:23 AM
Funny:How many forum members does it takes to change a light bulb? Paul UK diy 3 December 21st 05 11:05 AM
Changing a light bulb on R.C.M Tom Gardner Metalworking 24 June 6th 04 12:58 AM
O-T light bulb Fuddzy Woodworking 2 January 15th 04 04:43 PM
Boiler pilot light went out David Hearn UK diy 6 October 26th 03 11:54 PM