Posted to uk.d-i-y
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default Pilot light off in summer?

Unbeliever wrote:
Uncle Peter wrote:
Anyone turn the pilot light of their boiler or gas fire off in summer?

Of course, it goes off every time it has ignited the gas burner - doesn't
yours do that then?

It struck me it would cost a lot of gas over the year (and from what
I've read it's anything from £25 to £90 a year).

It would only cost that if the pilot light was left on all the time, now
because mine only lights up when the electronic igniter turns the gas on and
that little blue spark thing does it job and sets the gas alight it save me
a lot of cash. Dont yours do that then?

Then I found this! "With the pilot off, there are still trace
amounts of gas molecules in the burner and pilot tubes of your
fireplace. The gas companies add a chemical called Mercaptan to the
gas which gives it that lovely odor we all know. Spiders are
attracted to the smell of the Mercaptan and will sometimes build webs
in the pilot and burner tubes when the flow of gas is off. So when
you go to turn on your fireplace in the early fall or late summer, it
will not work, and you will have to call you local installer to come
service the unit. This will cost money."

A load of Yankee ******** (not a Yank are you Uncle Peter?) If you are, then
that would explain many things about you. As for spiders building their webs
there,

If not spiders then wasps will lay their eggs in there (with a spider
for food)and seal off jet with mud

when the sparky thing or a match lights the pilot light that will set
fire to the webs and the spiders making the gas easier to light after afer
its couple of weeks rest in this country and that will stop the installer
having to come and service it. I've just thought of something, doesnt an
installer fit the gas thingy - it must be bloody expensive where you live
then to have to have a new gas boiler fitted every year just because your
too dumb to call out gas service engineer rather than an installer?

Uncle Peter, I've refrained from getting involved with your idiotic attempts
at posting as if you are an illiterate, but you have given me such a smile
at this latest load of ******** of yours I couldn't resist responding. Thank
you