Posted to uk.d-i-y
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default Pilot light off in summer?

Unbeliever wrote:
Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 19:15:10 -0000, Unbeliever
wrote:
Uncle Peter wrote:
Anyone turn the pilot light of their boiler or gas fire off in
summer?

Of course, it goes off every time it has ignited the gas burner -
doesn't yours do that then?

It struck me it would cost a lot of gas over the year (and from what
I've read it's anything from £25 to £90 a year).

It would only cost that if the pilot light was left on all the time,
now because mine only lights up when the electronic igniter turns
the gas on and that little blue spark thing does it job and sets the
gas alight it save me a lot of cash. Dont yours do that then?

The only spark thing on mine is manual, and used to light the pilot
light if I've turned it off. The pilot remains on 24/7 ready to
ignite the burner when the boiler decides to run.

The you really are an idiot allowing the pilot light to burn in such a
manner, only idiots with little knowledge do that these days with the cost
of gas the way it is - and you fall into that group!

You may be the idiot here, a few years ago heaters and burners were
designed with permanently on pilots which were not designed to be turned
on and off at will (usually fairly complicated action)It was never done
except in cases of prolonged absences.There would be many of these
heating devices still in existence.

Then I found this! "With the pilot off, there are still trace
amounts of gas molecules in the burner and pilot tubes of your
fireplace. The gas companies add a chemical called Mercaptan to the
gas which gives it that lovely odor we all know. Spiders are
attracted to the smell of the Mercaptan and will sometimes build
webs in the pilot and burner tubes when the flow of gas is off. So
when you go to turn on your fireplace in the early fall or late
summer, it will not work, and you will have to call you local
installer to come service the unit. This will cost money."

A load of Yankee ******** (not a Yank are you Uncle Peter?) If you
are, then that would explain many things about you. As for spiders
building their webs there, when the sparky thing or a match lights
the pilot light that will set fire to the webs and the spiders
making the gas easier to light

Maybe, depends how thick the web in the pipe is. Gas isn't that high
a pressure.

Who's talking about gas pressure? A match will burn a spider's web alone and
when the pilot fires up, then the spider will also fry!

after afer
its couple of weeks rest in this country and that will stop the
installer having to come and service it. I've just thought of
something, doesnt an installer fit the gas thingy - it must be
bloody expensive where you live then to have to have a new gas
boiler fitted every year just because your too dumb to call out gas
service engineer rather than an installer?

That was a quote from a website, hence the " marks. I never said
anything about an installer or engineer.

Then it shows your incapability to comprehend the information that you read
before re-posting it.

Uncle Peter, I've refrained from getting involved with your idiotic
attempts at posting as if you are an illiterate, but you have given
me such a smile at this latest load of ******** of yours I couldn't
resist responding. Thank you

Your English above is terrible. "after afer its couple of weeks rest"

A touch of the Kettle calling the old saucepan black with just a smidgeon of
hypocrisy on your part is rather obvious with the lack of your command of
the English in your posts - and (from a previous thread) your parrots could
teach you a thing or two about language usage.

Still laughing at you old son and enjoying it, so carry on posting the
drivel, only keep the foul language down.