Posted to uk.d-i-y
Uncle Peter[_2_] Uncle Peter[_2_] is offline

Default Pilot light off in summer?

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 13:40:47 -0000, Farmer Giles wrote:

On 12/01/2015 21:31, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 19:45:42 -0000, Farmer Giles wrote:

On 12/01/2015 08:54, harryagain wrote:
"Farmer Giles" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 11/01/2015 21:21, Unbeliever wrote:
Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 20:47:13 -0000, Unbeliever
wrote:
Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 19:22:37 -0000, Unbeliever
wrote:
Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 17:35:47 -0000, Bob Eager
wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 17:29:09 +0000, Mick wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news Anyone turn the pilot light of their boiler or gas fire off in
summer?

Never had a pilot light!

I'd be interested to know what proportion of new boilers have
them...

I've never had a new boiler. I take it they start with an
electric spark like modern cookers? I've never known a cooker
sparker to wear out, so I guess the boilers don't either?

Well you are not that knowledgeable are you really? Petrol cars
have "sparkers" AKA spark plugs, and if you drive, then you know
that they wear out quite regularly - so why wouldn't those used on
boilers and cookers be any different?

You are a little tinker aren't you with your teasing little
idiocies? It's great to see that you really enjoy being laughed
at or
the
butt of many jokes and obscenities.

I'm currently laughing at you, as you don't seem to realise that a
car spark plug operates 1000s of times a minute. Your boiler
doesn't start that many times in a day.

You have yet to realise that the principle is the same and erosion
occurs at the tips of both.

My boiler fires up quite often during the day and the boiler igniter
has been replaced on several occasions due spark erosion at the tip.

Never mind, you'll still be laughed at and be the butt of jokes and
abuse simply because of your idiocies while you still continue to
post as you do.

"Quit often" is probably say thirty times a day. If you drive your
car for half an hour each day, that's 45000 sparks from each plug a
day. So your boiler spark plug should last 1500 times longer than
your car spark plug.

I doubt it old son - I drive a diesel and to the best of my knowledge,
the
don't have spark plugs. They do have four glow plugs though, and while
you're spouting inane statistics, I wonder if you could tell me how
many
times they fire per cycle of a four stroke engine, per cylinder?

Glow plugs only operate when the ignition is first switched on to
heat up
the cylinder, they don't 'fire' after that. In fact they don't fire at
all, just heat up and 'glow' for a short time.

Glow plugs vapourise the fuel in the inlet manifold to make starting
easier
when cold.

Nonsense.

I believe you are correct. I thought they warmed the diesel to make it
thinner, so the INJECTORS could vapourise it.

No, the glow plugs do their work AFTER the fuel has been vapourised and
injected into the combusion chamber.

I see, so there's nothing in the average car diesel engine to combat very cold ambient temperatures. You'd think they could have a diesel pipe heater.

--
An American tourist asks an Irishman:
"Why do Scuba divers always fall backwards off their boats?"