Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Pilot light off in summer?

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 21:31:13 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 19:15:10 -0000, Unbeliever
wrote:

Uncle Peter wrote:
Anyone turn the pilot light of their boiler or gas fire off in summer?

Of course, it goes off every time it has ignited the gas burner -
doesn't
yours do that then?

It struck me it would cost a lot of gas over the year (and from what
I've read it's anything from £25 to £90 a year).

It would only cost that if the pilot light was left on all the time,
now
because mine only lights up when the electronic igniter turns the gas
on
and
that little blue spark thing does it job and sets the gas alight it
save
me
a lot of cash. Dont yours do that then?

The only spark thing on mine is manual, and used to light the pilot
light
if I've turned it off. The pilot remains on 24/7 ready to ignite the
burner when the boiler decides to run.

Then I found this! "With the pilot off, there are still trace
amounts of gas molecules in the burner and pilot tubes of your
fireplace. The gas companies add a chemical called Mercaptan to the
gas which gives it that lovely odor we all know. Spiders are
attracted to the smell of the Mercaptan and will sometimes build webs
in the pilot and burner tubes when the flow of gas is off. So when
you go to turn on your fireplace in the early fall or late summer, it
will not work, and you will have to call you local installer to come
service the unit. This will cost money."

A load of Yankee ******** (not a Yank are you Uncle Peter?) If you are,
then
that would explain many things about you. As for spiders building their
webs
there, when the sparky thing or a match lights the pilot light that
will
set
fire to the webs and the spiders making the gas easier to light

Maybe,

No maybe about it.

depends how thick the web in the pipe is.

There can be no web in the pipe, no spider can get thru the pilot jet.

Oh.

Gas isn't that high a pressure.

The gas pressure is irrelevant. Even if that silly myth was true,
and it can't be given that only dinosaurs even have a pilot jet
at all anymore, any web anywhere near the pilot jet would
soon be burnt off as soon as the jet lights.

Unless it blocked the jet

Webs can't do that.

and no gas got out.