Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Phone.

My trusty old Nokia N95 is giving up the ghost. Doesn't appear to be the
battery - which is original.

I'm on PAYG so will have to pay full price for a replacement.

I'd like a new one with at least as good a stills camera and also an FM
radio. The rest I assume will be ok with any modern phone.

I've got a 'thing' against Apple products.

--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 11:09:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

My trusty old Nokia N95 is giving up the ghost. Doesn't appear to be the
battery - which is original.

I'm on PAYG so will have to pay full price for a replacement.

I'd like a new one with at least as good a stills camera and also an FM
radio. The rest I assume will be ok with any modern phone.

I've got a 'thing' against Apple products.

Moto G? Camera's OK and the radio works. Was £90 seems to be a bit
more now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My trusty old Nokia N95 is giving up the ghost. Doesn't appear to be the
battery - which is original.

I'm on PAYG so will have to pay full price for a replacement.

I'd like a new one with at least as good a stills camera and also an FM
radio. The rest I assume will be ok with any modern phone.

I've got a 'thing' against Apple products.

Moto G? Camera's OK and the radio works. Was £90 seems to be a bit
more now.

+1 (despite not really liking smartphones)

Moto G battery life on standby with a few calls is well over a week -
though considerably less if you enable it as a wifi hotspot or run
animated games. Screen is clear and sound is pretty good.

Needs headphones plugged in to be an FM radio.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My trusty old Nokia N95 is giving up the ghost. Doesn't appear to be
the battery - which is original.

I'm on PAYG so will have to pay full price for a replacement.

I'd like a new one with at least as good a stills camera and also an
FM radio. The rest I assume will be ok with any modern phone.

I've got a 'thing' against Apple products.

Moto G? Camera's OK and the radio works. Was £90 seems to be a bit
more now.

+1 (despite not really liking smartphones)

Moto G battery life on standby with a few calls is well over a week -
though considerably less if you enable it as a wifi hotspot or run
animated games. Screen is clear and sound is pretty good.

Needs headphones plugged in to be an FM radio.

Looked at some reviews and they seems a bit lukewarm about the camera. I
probably use that more than the phone. Needing headphones for the radio is
fine.

--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 15:28:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That's the trouble with questions like this. You never really know
what the expectations are. For my use the camera is perfectly fine.
I.e. the odd snapshot or record if I don't have a proper camera with
me. It's got a fixed, fairly wide focal length lens, lots of pixels
and some compression artifacts but it seems to take reasonbly well
exposed not terribly over sharpened or over saturated pictures.

Some ofhe Nokia Lumia phones get rave reviews of their cameras, and
seem reasonably priced.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My trusty old Nokia N95 is giving up the ghost. Doesn't appear to be the
battery - which is original.

I'm on PAYG so will have to pay full price for a replacement.

I'd like a new one with at least as good a stills camera and also an FM
radio. The rest I assume will be ok with any modern phone.

I've got a 'thing' against Apple products.

Carphone Warehouse sold me an unlocked Samsung PAYG phone at a very
reasonable price when I produced an old PAYG Sim. I avoided the £10
charge for a new PAYG SIM.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
My trusty old Nokia N95 is giving up the ghost. Doesn't appear to
be the battery - which is original.

I'm on PAYG so will have to pay full price for a replacement.

Looks like you can still get new ones via Amazon. Priced 150 to 200
quid.

Or:

http://www.refurb-phone.com

will sell you a grade A refurbished N95 for 90 quid.

And look on the bright side, you've already got a spare battery :-)

I've never dealt with www.refurb-phone.com.

Did get a new Nokia 3110 from an Amazon re-seller for a friend who
managed to drive over his existing one. This was a few months ago.
So far the replacement Nokia has avoided car tyres...
--
Dennis Davis
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dennis Davis wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
My trusty old Nokia N95 is giving up the ghost. Doesn't appear to
be the battery - which is original.

I'm on PAYG so will have to pay full price for a replacement.

Looks like you can still get new ones via Amazon. Priced 150 to 200
quid.

Or:

http://www.refurb-phone.com

Although the N95 was very good in its day, I'd like something that
improves on its weaker points. For example, it won't work on BT Fone - no
software. And a touch screen keypad would be easier to use than its small
keys.

Perhaps I should start from the other end since it may seem I want
something cheap.

What phone has as good a stills camera as the N95?

--
*I used up all my sick days so I called in dead

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What phone has as good a stills camera as the N95?

Nokia 1520

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
wrote:

[...]

On the Nokias, you need the headphones plugged in as they are
also the FM aerial, but you don't have to listen through them.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2014 13:36, Martin Brown wrote:
Needs headphones plugged in to be an FM radio.

Which is why I use digital (iPlayer) and don't need any form of headphones.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote

My trusty old Nokia N95 is giving up the ghost.
Doesn't appear to be the battery - which is original.

What's the symptoms ?

I'm on PAYG so will have to pay full price for a replacement.

I'd like a new one with at least as good a stills camera and also
an FM radio. The rest I assume will be ok with any modern phone.

I've got a 'thing' against Apple products.

Most who don’t like Apple products hardly ever have too
much bad to say about the high end Samsung Galaxys S*s.
Get one with plenty of memory, I got a 16G phone when
I replaced the N95 8GB a couple of years ago now, assuming
that since I never ran out of space on the N95, double that,
which was the minimum I could buy would be fine.

In fact I use it rather differently with the podcasts from our
national radio broadcaster that I listen to when walking for
exercise because the replacement downloads the podcasts
for the programs that I am interested in automatically
rather than manually as I did with the N95, so there is a
hell of a lot more on the phone that I get to choose from.

Even tho you don’t like Apple products, its worth considering
the 6 plus because it has a much better camera than the N95.
Very large phone tho, too big for a phone IMO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My trusty old Nokia N95 is giving up the ghost. Doesn't appear to be the
battery - which is original.

I'm on PAYG so will have to pay full price for a replacement.

I'd like a new one with at least as good a stills camera and also an FM
radio. The rest I assume will be ok with any modern phone.

I've got a 'thing' against Apple products.

I bought my better half a Motorola Moto G SIM-free from Amazon. Not
expensive, seems to meet your needs.

Battery life better than my Samsung Galaxy S2. The Moto E

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moto-4GB-SIM...artphone-Black

is cheaper still, and still pretty good, it seems:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05...id_smartphone/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Taylor
writes
On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 15:28:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I've got a Moto G 4G - camera the same as the G I assume, I'd agree that
the camera is a bit so so, certainly compared to quite a lot of other
smartphone cameras (though maybe not at it's price level? - it's one of
the things it's easy to trim on the budget). But as you say, it depends
on expectations. I've no idea what photos from the camera on the N95 are
like.

I can send you some sample pics if you want dave.

Didn't know it had an FM radio though, not something I ever really use.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Taylor" wrote in message
On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 15:28:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

But are stuck with Windows Phone which means there are
**** all apps for them compared with android phones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Dennis Davis wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
My trusty old Nokia N95 is giving up the ghost. Doesn't appear to
be the battery - which is original.

I'm on PAYG so will have to pay full price for a replacement.

Looks like you can still get new ones via Amazon. Priced 150 to 200
quid.

Or:

http://www.refurb-phone.com

Although the N95 was very good in its day, I'd like something that
improves on its weaker points. For example, it won't work on BT Fone - no
software. And a touch screen keypad would be easier to use than its small
keys.

Perhaps I should start from the other end since it may seem I want
something cheap.

What phone has as good a stills camera as the N95?

Any of the high end samsungs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote
Martin Brown wrote

Needs headphones plugged in to be an FM radio.

Which is why I use digital (iPlayer) and don't need any form of
headphones.

Yeah, me too, and you can listen to it whenever
you like instead of when they broadcast it too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Perhaps I should start from the other end since it may seem I want
something cheap.

What phone has as good a stills camera as the N95?

my daughter has a Nokia Lumia 1020 fantastic camera but windows os
you did not make any preference to the operating system ;(

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2014 21:29, Rod Speed wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

[...]

I've got a standard 6, and, has to be said, a wonderful piece of
hardware engineering and software design.

But it's a ridiculous bauble, really. Far too much money, and if I
hadn't invested in apps (especially the maps, which work) I'd go for a
Moto G.

I'm not entirely clear whether the OP wants or needs a smartphone, and
whether battery life is an issue, but my guess is that the Moto G could
work. 4G might even dispense with the FM radio fixation ;-)

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

[...]

Dunno, an absolutely classic example of form over function
in some areas, particularly being so thin when it makes a lot
more sense to be as thick as it needs to be so the battery
lasts for a week of normal use between charges. It actually
only does a day between charges and doesn’t even manage
that if you have everything on, GPS, wifi, bluetooth and make
some reasonable length phone calls.

But it's a ridiculous bauble, really. Far too much money,

Yeah, the high end smartphones are considerably overpriced.

and if I hadn't invested in apps (especially the maps, which work)

I use the free ones, mostly google maps.

I'd go for a Moto G.

I'd go for a Nexus 5 if I wasn’t prepared to pay for a high end smartphone.

I'm not entirely clear whether the OP wants or needs a smartphone,

It appears to be mostly for the camera although he may
well do other stuff that he hasn’t mentioned as well.

I personally use mine for everything when out and about
and will be getting a 6 once Apple Pay is available where
I buy most stuff. I have wanted to **** the cards off for a
long time now. Much more convenient to just wave the
phone at the terminal in the selfcheckout than fart around
with cards. Its going to be interesting to see how quickly
they get the loyalty cards into the phone too.

and whether battery life is an issue, but my guess is that the Moto G
could work. 4G might even dispense with the FM radio fixation ;-)

I just have mine update the podcasts using
my home wifi before I head out of the house.

I don’t listen to anything live, not even TV anymore, I watch it
recorded instead but don’t watch the TV on the phone, just
the radio podcasts when walking for exercise or when going
some distance in the car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 00:59:00 +0100, RJH wrote:

4G might even dispense with the FM radio fixation ;-)

*If* you have reliable 4G coverage, Dave might have but if he is
anywhere near a place where people congregate the words "reliable"
and "fast" won't apply whilst the people are present.

Surprised Dave doesn't want DAB rather than FM. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
4G might even dispense with the FM radio fixation ;-)

*If* you have reliable 4G coverage, Dave might have but if he is
anywhere near a place where people congregate the words "reliable"
and "fast" won't apply whilst the people are present.

I'm not clear if using 4G is free? I'm on PAYG, as I simply don't use my
mobile much as a phone.

Surprised Dave doesn't want DAB rather than FM. B-)

Battery consumption, obviously.

--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
I'm not entirely clear whether the OP wants or needs a smartphone, and
whether battery life is an issue, but my guess is that the Moto G could
work. 4G might even dispense with the FM radio fixation ;-)

I suppose the N95 is a smart phone of a sort, and I do use some of those
facilities occasionally - but I'm not the typical modern phone user.

But I thought I emphasised that I do want decent camera performance - and
the Moto G appears to be distinctly average in this respect.

I'm not really worried about how I get a live radio feed. But obviously FM
is free. I don't want to pay for it on PAYG.

--
*A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
4G might even dispense with the FM radio fixation ;-)

*If* you have reliable 4G coverage, Dave might have but if he is
anywhere near a place where people congregate the words "reliable"
and "fast" won't apply whilst the people are present.

I'm not clear if using 4G is free? I'm on PAYG, as I simply don't use my
mobile much as a phone.

No, it's charged in the same way as3G mobile access is

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
4G might even dispense with the FM radio fixation ;-)

*If* you have reliable 4G coverage, Dave might have but if he is
anywhere near a place where people congregate the words "reliable"
and "fast" won't apply whilst the people are present.

I'm not clear if using 4G is free? I'm on PAYG, as I simply don't use my
mobile much as a phone.

No, it's charged in the same way as3G mobile access is

Not sure I've ever used that either - is it free?

--
*Who is this General Failure chap anyway - and why is he reading my HD? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 14:49:23 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No, it's charged in the same way as3G mobile access is

Not sure I've ever used that either - is it free?

Entirely dependant on your tarrif.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 14:49:23 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No, it's charged in the same way as3G mobile access is

Not sure I've ever used that either - is it free?

Entirely dependant on your tarrif.

Not quite sure what it is. Has been PAYG for ages.

--
*A fool and his money can throw one hell of a party.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 17:37:43 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No, it's charged in the same way as3G mobile access is

Not sure I've ever used that either - is it free?

Entirely dependant on your tarrif.

Not quite sure what it is. Has been PAYG for ages.

You'll have to ask your provider.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
I'm not entirely clear whether the OP wants or needs a smartphone, and
whether battery life is an issue, but my guess is that the Moto G could
work. 4G might even dispense with the FM radio fixation ;-)

I suppose the N95 is a smart phone of a sort, and I do use some of those
facilities occasionally - but I'm not the typical modern phone user.

I'm not sure what typical means. I do a couple of texts and calls a day,
couple of pics, bit of maps, and lots of faffing about - mainly news apps.

The maps I have are the proper OS maps when I'm out and about, preloaded
on the phone. I have about £100 worth. But obviously that's not for
everyone.

But I thought I emphasised that I do want decent camera performance - and
the Moto G appears to be distinctly average in this respect.

Indeed. My guess is that the Moto G's camera would be a step up from the
Nokia. I like what I read about the rest of the phone - fast processor,
half decent battery, and crucially a good screen. Like an iphone at 1/4
of the price.

I'm not really worried about how I get a live radio feed. But obviously FM
is free. I don't want to pay for it on PAYG.

Can't say I blame you. Low use PAYG can be had very cheap - I think
Vodaphone?

I pay £10 or so a month with a Tesco account. If money was an issue I'd
find another way. And TBH I think I'd be glad to be rid of the phone and
(especially) text.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
In article ,
RJH wrote:
I'm not entirely clear whether the OP wants or needs a smartphone,
and whether battery life is an issue, but my guess is that the Moto G
could work. 4G might even dispense with the FM radio fixation ;-)

I suppose the N95 is a smart phone of a sort, and I do use some of
those facilities occasionally - but I'm not the typical modern phone
user.

I'm not sure what typical means. I do a couple of texts and calls a day,
couple of pics, bit of maps, and lots of faffing about - mainly news
apps.

I probably make one or two calls and texts a week - and receive about the
same. My 'generation' is more landline based.

The maps I have are the proper OS maps when I'm out and about, preloaded
on the phone. I have about £100 worth. But obviously that's not for
everyone.

The inbuilt maps on the N95 have been fine when I've needed them. Which is
not often, compared to using the satnav in the car.

But I thought I emphasised that I do want decent camera performance -
and the Moto G appears to be distinctly average in this respect.

Indeed. My guess is that the Moto G's camera would be a step up from the
Nokia.

From what I've read it seems to be considerably inferior. Up with which I
will not put. ;-)

I like what I read about the rest of the phone - fast processor,
half decent battery, and crucially a good screen. Like an iphone at 1/4
of the price.

I'm not really worried about how I get a live radio feed. But
obviously FM is free. I don't want to pay for it on PAYG.

Can't say I blame you. Low use PAYG can be had very cheap - I think
Vodaphone?

Yes - I spend under £100 a year.

I pay £10 or so a month with a Tesco account. If money was an issue I'd
find another way. And TBH I think I'd be glad to be rid of the phone and
(especially) text.

Looks like I may have to pay out the thick end of 500 quid if I want a
decent camera - in one of the top of the range Samsungs.

--
*Proofread carefully to see if you any words out or mispeld something *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
The inbuilt maps on the N95 have been fine when I've needed them. Which is
not often, compared to using the satnav in the car.

Google Maps generally does me for satnav - having live traffic for free
is really handy.

Indeed. My guess is that the Moto G's camera would be a step up from the
Nokia.

From what I've read it seems to be considerably inferior. Up with which I
will not put. ;-)

Care to point us in the direction of the comparisons? I have a Sony
Ericsson C905 which was a high-end cameraphone of its day, but is utterly
trounced by the other phones I have, which are a Galaxy Nexus (the Moto G of
2012, though at a higher price) and a Note 2.

Can't say I blame you. Low use PAYG can be had very cheap - I think
Vodaphone?

Yes - I spend under £100 a year.

Have a look at Three's 321 tariff: 3p/min, 2p/text, 1p/MB
No monthly commitment, so if you don't use it you don't pay.

I pay £10 or so a month with a Tesco account. If money was an issue I'd
find another way. And TBH I think I'd be glad to be rid of the phone and
(especially) text.

Looks like I may have to pay out the thick end of 500 quid if I want a
decent camera - in one of the top of the range Samsungs.

I think you've have substantial inflation about what you mean by a 'decent'
camera. Looking at N95 pictures with today's eyes makes me distinctly
'meh': they're nothing to write home about. If you really need a top-end
phone, try one from a year or two ago. For example, the Galaxy S3 is about
120 quid these days.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Looks like I may have to pay out the thick end of 500 quid if I want a
decent camera - in one of the top of the range Samsungs.

If the camera is your main feature, why not the Nokia 1020 or, what I
have as a work phone, the 1520? The 1020 is well under 1020 SIM-free. Or
the new 830 (still much less than 500). The 1520 manages to take some
amazingly good photos in difficult conditions (huge contrast between
very bright and very dark, very close, etc.). Unfortunately the Lidl
fisheye adaptor doesn't quite reach to the lens with its clip mechanism! :-)

I wouldn't choose a Nokia only because of the limited apps, but I am
very impressed by their cameras, and their Drive+ GPS is pretty good.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
In article ,
RJH wrote:
[...]

From what I've read it seems to be considerably inferior. Up with which I
will not put. ;-)

I like what I read about the rest of the phone - fast processor,
half decent battery, and crucially a good screen. Like an iphone at 1/4
of the price.

I'm not really worried about how I get a live radio feed. But
obviously FM is free. I don't want to pay for it on PAYG.

Can't say I blame you. Low use PAYG can be had very cheap - I think
Vodaphone?

Yes - I spend under £100 a year.

I pay £10 or so a month with a Tesco account. If money was an issue I'd
find another way. And TBH I think I'd be glad to be rid of the phone and
(especially) text.

Looks like I may have to pay out the thick end of 500 quid if I want a
decent camera - in one of the top of the range Samsungs.

I recently picked up a Sony Eriksson W995 for £25. I can see the screen
without glasses, so texting outdoors is nice and easy. Decent camera and
allegedly it's a Walkman too (I wouldn't know)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 23:45:05 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Looks like I may have to pay out the thick end of 500 quid if I want a
decent camera - in one of the top of the range Samsungs.

As you are like me and don't change phones very often or break them.
It might be worth looking at what you can get on contract with the
phone "free". 2 years at £10/month = £240 for service and new phone
and as you are then on contract an option for cheap free "upgrade" in
two years or drop back to PAYG.

That is what I did for the last phone change. No.1 Daughter couldn't
get her head around it and was saying thay PAYG would be cheaper for
my low use. Probably correct as plain monthly expenditure but I'd
have to have coughed up £200 for the phone I wanted and pay the
running costs.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

snip

Looks like I may have to pay out the thick end of 500 quid if I want a
decent camera - in one of the top of the range Samsungs.

Looking at it in a bit more depth, it seems that the Moto G's camera may
be not much - if any - better than your current camera, so point taken
on the Moto.

So it's down to reviews and anecdote. And it'd be remiss not to point
out that the operator plays no small part:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...amera-vs-dslr/

:-)

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2014 09:11, Dave Liquorice wrote:
That is what I did for the last phone change. No.1 Daughter couldn't
get her head around it and was saying thay PAYG would be cheaper for
my low use. Probably correct as plain monthly expenditure but I'd
have to have coughed up £200 for the phone I wanted and pay the
running costs.

Yes, but...

With PAYG you can switch phone companies whenever you want. With
contracts there always seems to be a much better deal available the
month after you sign up, sometimes from the same provider. And if
reception proves to be poor in an area where it is important to you,
then you can switch to make the best of what signals are available.

Get a SIM-free phone so no painful or expensive unlocking procedure.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 23:45:05 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Looks like I may have to pay out the thick end of 500 quid if I want a
decent camera - in one of the top of the range Samsungs.

As you are like me and don't change phones very often or break them.
It might be worth looking at what you can get on contract with the
phone "free". 2 years at £10/month = £240 for service and new phone
and as you are then on contract an option for cheap free "upgrade" in
two years or drop back to PAYG.

That is what I did for the last phone change. No.1 Daughter couldn't
get her head around it and was saying thay PAYG would be cheaper for
my low use. Probably correct as plain monthly expenditure but I'd
have to have coughed up £200 for the phone I wanted and pay the
running costs.

Interesting - I'll look into it. Thanks Dave.

--
*The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:
I think you've have substantial inflation about what you mean by a
'decent' camera. Looking at N95 pictures with today's eyes makes me
distinctly 'meh': they're nothing to write home about. If you really
need a top-end phone, try one from a year or two ago. For example, the
Galaxy S3 is about 120 quid these days.

Perhaps I should say what I'm basing it on. Normally pictures taken of
cars at a classic car show - so not low light conditions. Many of those I
see on the same forum I post mine to are considerably inferior to mine.
And I doubt many have such an old phone as mine. So I sort of assumed the
average modern phone doesn't have as good a camera as the N95. I could of
course be totally wrong.
There are also some excellent pics taken on a proper camera to use as a
base line. I know the person who takes them - but most of the others are
from phones.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

My trusty old Nokia N95 is giving up the ghost. Doesn't appear to be
the battery - which is original.

I'm on PAYG so will have to pay full price for a replacement.

I'd like a new one with at least as good a stills camera and also an
FM radio. The rest I assume will be ok with any modern phone.

I've got a 'thing' against Apple products.

I have a similar requirement, just wanting to add a camera facility to
my already minimalist mobile 'phone needs. One question: If I get a
'phone that offers Facebook and Twitter sharing, such as the Nokia 225,
can it also download direct to a PC? I ask, as I once had a company cell
'phone in the US that could not, its pictures could only be e-mailed.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

My trusty old Nokia N95 is giving up the ghost. Doesn't appear to be
the battery - which is original.

I'm on PAYG so will have to pay full price for a replacement.

I'd like a new one with at least as good a stills camera and also an
FM radio. The rest I assume will be ok with any modern phone.

I've got a 'thing' against Apple products.

I have a similar requirement, just wanting to add a camera facility to
my already minimalist mobile 'phone needs. One question: If I get a
'phone that offers Facebook and Twitter sharing, such as the Nokia 225,
can it also download direct to a PC? I ask, as I once had a company cell
'phone in the US that could not, its pictures could only be e-mailed.

I simply plug the N95 into the PC via its USB socket and backup everything.
Also handy for sending a text message etc from it using a proper keyboard.
;-)

--
*If you don't pay your exorcist you get repossessed.*