Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Phone.

In article ,
RJH wrote:
In article ,
RJH wrote:
I'm not entirely clear whether the OP wants or needs a smartphone,
and whether battery life is an issue, but my guess is that the Moto G
could work. 4G might even dispense with the FM radio fixation ;-)

I suppose the N95 is a smart phone of a sort, and I do use some of
those facilities occasionally - but I'm not the typical modern phone
user.

I'm not sure what typical means. I do a couple of texts and calls a day,
couple of pics, bit of maps, and lots of faffing about - mainly news
apps.

I probably make one or two calls and texts a week - and receive about the
same. My 'generation' is more landline based.

The maps I have are the proper OS maps when I'm out and about, preloaded
on the phone. I have about £100 worth. But obviously that's not for
everyone.

The inbuilt maps on the N95 have been fine when I've needed them. Which is
not often, compared to using the satnav in the car.

But I thought I emphasised that I do want decent camera performance -
and the Moto G appears to be distinctly average in this respect.

Indeed. My guess is that the Moto G's camera would be a step up from the
Nokia.

From what I've read it seems to be considerably inferior. Up with which I
will not put. ;-)

I like what I read about the rest of the phone - fast processor,
half decent battery, and crucially a good screen. Like an iphone at 1/4
of the price.

I'm not really worried about how I get a live radio feed. But
obviously FM is free. I don't want to pay for it on PAYG.

Can't say I blame you. Low use PAYG can be had very cheap - I think
Vodaphone?

Yes - I spend under £100 a year.

I pay £10 or so a month with a Tesco account. If money was an issue I'd
find another way. And TBH I think I'd be glad to be rid of the phone and
(especially) text.

Looks like I may have to pay out the thick end of 500 quid if I want a
decent camera - in one of the top of the range Samsungs.

I recently picked up a Sony Eriksson W995 for £25. I can see the screen
without glasses, so texting outdoors is nice and easy. Decent camera and
allegedly it's a Walkman too (I wouldn't know)