Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Phone.

RJH wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

My trusty old Nokia N95 is giving up the ghost.
Doesn't appear to be the battery - which is original.

What's the symptoms ?

I'm on PAYG so will have to pay full price for a replacement.

I'd like a new one with at least as good a stills camera and also
an FM radio. The rest I assume will be ok with any modern phone.

I've got a 'thing' against Apple products.

Most who don’t like Apple products hardly ever have too
much bad to say about the high end Samsung Galaxys S*s.
Get one with plenty of memory, I got a 16G phone when
I replaced the N95 8GB a couple of years ago now, assuming
that since I never ran out of space on the N95, double that,
which was the minimum I could buy would be fine.

In fact I use it rather differently with the podcasts from our
national radio broadcaster that I listen to when walking for
exercise because the replacement downloads the podcasts
for the programs that I am interested in automatically
rather than manually as I did with the N95, so there is a
hell of a lot more on the phone that I get to choose from.

Even tho you don’t like Apple products, its worth considering
the 6 plus because it has a much better camera than the N95.
Very large phone tho, too big for a phone IMO.

I've got a standard 6, and, has to be said, a wonderful piece of hardware
engineering and software design.

Dunno, an absolutely classic example of form over function
in some areas, particularly being so thin when it makes a lot
more sense to be as thick as it needs to be so the battery
lasts for a week of normal use between charges. It actually
only does a day between charges and doesn’t even manage
that if you have everything on, GPS, wifi, bluetooth and make
some reasonable length phone calls.

But it's a ridiculous bauble, really. Far too much money,

Yeah, the high end smartphones are considerably overpriced.

and if I hadn't invested in apps (especially the maps, which work)

I use the free ones, mostly google maps.

I'd go for a Moto G.

I'd go for a Nexus 5 if I wasn’t prepared to pay for a high end smartphone.

I'm not entirely clear whether the OP wants or needs a smartphone,

It appears to be mostly for the camera although he may
well do other stuff that he hasn’t mentioned as well.

I personally use mine for everything when out and about
and will be getting a 6 once Apple Pay is available where
I buy most stuff. I have wanted to **** the cards off for a
long time now. Much more convenient to just wave the
phone at the terminal in the selfcheckout than fart around
with cards. Its going to be interesting to see how quickly
they get the loyalty cards into the phone too.

and whether battery life is an issue, but my guess is that the Moto G
could work. 4G might even dispense with the FM radio fixation ;-)

I just have mine update the podcasts using
my home wifi before I head out of the house.

I don’t listen to anything live, not even TV anymore, I watch it
recorded instead but don’t watch the TV on the phone, just
the radio podcasts when walking for exercise or when going
some distance in the car.