Posted to alt.home.repair

Default find out your phone number by dial several numbers on the phone.

I need to replace a phone line from the NID to my home.
The NID outside my home(5-story) has about 12 phone lines connect to
it.
I don't want to dissconnect my neighbour's phone line when replacing
it.

Last week, when verizon(NY) came to my workplace and did some repair.
I saw them just connect a test tool and dial several numbers on the
phone to retrieve the number that belong to that line.
I saw they also successfully retrieve it using a regular phone.

Does anyone know what number to press in order to retrieve the phone
number?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think they are different from phone company to phone company but
what works where i live is 959-9833.
then it reads the phone number your calling from back to you in a
computer automated voice.
cheers

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 9:24 pm, wrote:
I need to replace a phone line from the NID to my home.
The NID outside my home(5-story) has about 12 phone lines connect to
it.
I don't want to dissconnect my neighbour's phone line when replacing
it.

Last week, when verizon(NY) came to my workplace and did some repair.
I saw them just connect a test tool and dial several numbers on the
phone to retrieve the number that belong to that line.
I saw they also successfully retrieve it using a regular phone.

Does anyone know what number to press in order to retrieve the phone
number?

Try 9580 (4 digits)
Or if that does not work, just call your cell phone and the caller ID
will show you what number it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to replace a phone line from the NID to my home.
The NID outside my home(5-story) has about 12 phone lines connect to
it.
I don't want to dissconnect my neighbour's phone line when replacing
it.

Last week, when verizon(NY) came to my workplace and did some repair.
I saw them just connect a test tool and dial several numbers on the
phone to retrieve the number that belong to that line.
I saw they also successfully retrieve it using a regular phone.

Does anyone know what number to press in order to retrieve the phone
number?

In Western NY, dialing 611 does the trick. If I recall, it was 511 in NYC.
Try one of these.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om,
Mikepier wrote:

just call your cell phone and the caller ID
will show you what number it is.

This is the best/easiest method.

ANI (Automatic Number Identification) equipment access varies from telco to
telco and, in recent years, changes quarterly. The old standby, static "958"
doesn't work much anymore.
--

JR

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Redelfs wrote:

(cellphone) This is the best/easiest method.

ANI (Automatic Number Identification) equipment access varies from telco to
telco and, in recent years, changes quarterly. The old standby, static "958"
doesn't work much anymore.

telcos are also removing it because it's never available
when their techs need it. it was never intended to be a
public service. some offices only had one playback device
for the entire office.

-- larry/dallas
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 9:24 pm, wrote:
I need to replace a phone line from the NID to my home.
The NID outside my home(5-story) has about 12 phone lines connect to
it.
I don't want to dissconnect my neighbour's phone line when replacing
it.

Last week, when verizon(NY) came to my workplace and did some repair.
I saw them just connect a test tool and dial several numbers on the
phone to retrieve the number that belong to that line.
I saw they also successfully retrieve it using a regular phone.

Does anyone know what number to press in order to retrieve the phone
number?

Slightly OT, but when I was a teenager in NYC, there used to be a
number you could call and it would ring your phone back.

My parents hassled me less if I had a valid reason to go out, so I
would dial the number, answer my phone and then tell my parents
something like "That was Russ. We're going bowling. See ya later."

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

when I was a teenager in NYC, there used to be a
number you could call and it would ring your phone back.

My parents hassled me less if I had a valid reason to go out, so I
would dial the number, answer my phone and then tell my parents
something like "That was Russ. We're going bowling. See ya later."

Oh, wow. Deja vu. I recall doing that a couple of times waaaaay back when.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 22:09:52 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Oct 21, 9:24 pm, wrote:
I need to replace a phone line from the NID to my home.
The NID outside my home(5-story) has about 12 phone lines connect to
it.
I don't want to dissconnect my neighbour's phone line when replacing
it.

Last week, when verizon(NY) came to my workplace and did some repair.
I saw them just connect a test tool and dial several numbers on the
phone to retrieve the number that belong to that line.
I saw they also successfully retrieve it using a regular phone.

Does anyone know what number to press in order to retrieve the phone
number?

Slightly OT, but when I was a teenager in NYC, there used to be a
number you could call and it would ring your phone back.

There used to be one of those here, before they put in the ESS
switching. Its original function had to do with party lines (which is
how I found out about it) but it was useful from any line.

Sometimes I've wished it still worked. I'd call the operator and she
refused to do it. Of course, now I have a cell phone and can use that.

My parents hassled me less if I had a valid reason to go out, so I
would dial the number, answer my phone and then tell my parents
something like "That was Russ. We're going bowling. See ya later."

Sometimes for fun I'd call my grandmother in the other room when the
paper came. She knew and answered with "Jimmy Carter's residence".

BTW, it seemed strange that most local calls required 5 digits then,
but if you wanted to call someone on your party line it took 10
digits.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

I need to replace a phone line from the NID to my home.
The NID outside my home(5-story) has about 12 phone lines connect to
it.
I don't want to dissconnect my neighbour's phone line when replacing
it.

Depends on your location and your local phone company. But be careful, in
some places, the phone wires for an apartment belong to the landlord
(building owner.) In one community I lived in, municipal law requires
landlord to hire a phone guy, for reason of neighbor's phone you mentioned
above. (If you live in a Condo situation, I have no clue about who owns
what.)

Also, most only use one pair of lines for their home land lines, and most
cables are 2 or 4 pairs, there is the chance an unsavory person could tap
into a neighbor's phone line and record all conversations. Another reason
for phone guy in multi-tennent building.

Last week, when verizon(NY) came to my workplace and did some repair.
I saw them just connect a test tool and dial several numbers on the
phone to retrieve the number that belong to that line.
I saw they also successfully retrieve it using a regular phone.

Does anyone know what number to press in order to retrieve the phone
number?

So lets say, some unsavory person wanted to know the unlisted number of a
someone they were stalking. Then all they would need do is go to the
outside NID, connect onto the line, dial this secret number and get the
private phone number of the person they were stalking? Then this unsavory
person could harass by making phone calls all night long. That is one of
several reasons why the Phone Company doesn't want the general public to
know that number.

Go to Radio shack, or your local big orange retail giant (BORG) and get a
line tracer toner. Disconnect the phones in your apartment, connect the
toner, and trace the line back to the NID. Last I checked, the toner and
tracer were about $25.00.

Phil

Posted to alt.home.repair

In our part of Virginia, you would dial 211 and a voice would tell you the
number.

That was pretty important because the installer had no idea of your number
when he connected the wiring!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I always used 811 until Verizon gave that number to Miss Utility, the
service you call before you dig up the ground.

"John Gilmer" wrote in message
In our part of Virginia, you would dial 211 and a voice would tell you the
number.

That was pretty important because the installer had no idea of your number
when he connected the wiring!

Telephone will not dial out--the kind of phone with no AC power [email protected] Home Repair 63 February 1st 07 03:26 AM
2 phones numbers on 1 phone line (4-wire) BETA-32 Home Repair 19 December 1st 06 05:54 PM
Cordless Phone GE 26970ge2-a stuck in dial mode vs. tone me e Home Ownership 2 December 4th 05 12:51 PM
Freud phone number??? CNT Woodworking 40 May 20th 05 06:31 PM
4C Collets Revisited and a name and phone number Gunner Metalworking 5 January 26th 04 10:34 PM