Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Taylor[_2_] Bill Taylor[_2_] is offline

Default Phone.

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 15:28:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 09/10/2014 12:28, Bill Taylor wrote:
On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 11:09:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

My trusty old Nokia N95 is giving up the ghost. Doesn't appear to be
the battery - which is original.

I'm on PAYG so will have to pay full price for a replacement.

I'd like a new one with at least as good a stills camera and also an
FM radio. The rest I assume will be ok with any modern phone.

I've got a 'thing' against Apple products.

Moto G? Camera's OK and the radio works. Was £90 seems to be a bit
more now.

+1 (despite not really liking smartphones)

Moto G battery life on standby with a few calls is well over a week -
though considerably less if you enable it as a wifi hotspot or run
animated games. Screen is clear and sound is pretty good.

Needs headphones plugged in to be an FM radio.

Looked at some reviews and they seems a bit lukewarm about the camera. I
probably use that more than the phone. Needing headphones for the radio is
fine.

That's the trouble with questions like this. You never really know
what the expectations are. For my use the camera is perfectly fine.
I.e. the odd snapshot or record if I don't have a proper camera with
me. It's got a fixed, fairly wide focal length lens, lots of pixels
and some compression artifacts but it seems to take reasonbly well
exposed not terribly over sharpened or over saturated pictures.

Some ofhe Nokia Lumia phones get rave reviews of their cameras, and
seem reasonably priced.