Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Supermarket Plastic bags

The government wants to introduce a charge for plastic bags. I have
never seen the point of this, it is not as if I see lots of empty bags
lying about or on beaches.

The bags we collect get used at least twice. Once to take goods from
the supermarket and once as pedal bin liners.

Where I live the council gives me plastic bags to put my rubbish in. I
use two per week, one clear bag for paper etc, and one black bag for
general rubbish. I am sure that the amount of plastic in these bags far
exceeds that in the supermarket bags.

Do we really need this legislation?

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2014 13:20, Michael Chare wrote:
The government wants to introduce a charge for plastic bags. I have
never seen the point of this, it is not as if I see lots of empty bags
lying about or on beaches.

No, they're all dumped in the flippin' canal, wrapping themselves round
my propeller, leading to an "entertaining" few minutes up to my elbow in
freezing cold water disentangling them. Another popular end use is for
wrapping up dog sh1t and hanging it on the hedges where people walk
their dogs and children. :-/

The bags we collect get used at least twice. Once to take goods from
the supermarket and once as pedal bin liners.

Good, as long as the bags are disposed of sensibly at the end of life.
They can and do kill many animals both on land and in the water when
they end up "in the wild".

Where I live the council gives me plastic bags to put my rubbish in. I
use two per week, one clear bag for paper etc, and one black bag for
general rubbish. I am sure that the amount of plastic in these bags far
exceeds that in the supermarket bags.

The difference being that the council bags are all, in theory, collected
by the council and disposed of safely or recycled as new ones.

Do we really need this legislation?

Yes. Although it would be better if the proceeds were collected as a tax
and ring fenced for environmental improvement.

Incidentally, paper bags buried a century ago are still intact, as are
newspapers, in many dumps, and the new, improved, plastic bags that
"biodegrade" in a few months all degrade into tiny plastic spheres which
get ingested by plankton and so by other animals that eat the plankton.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Williamson" wrote in message
On 04/06/2014 13:20, Michael Chare wrote:
The government wants to introduce a charge for plastic bags. I have
never seen the point of this, it is not as if I see lots of empty bags
lying about or on beaches.

Incidentally, paper bags buried a century ago are still intact, as are
newspapers, in many dumps, and the new, improved, plastic bags that
"biodegrade" in a few months all degrade into tiny plastic spheres which
get ingested by plankton and so by other animals that eat the plankton.

--

Plastic bags being made of plastic contain a high % of carbon. So if they
end up in landfill or wherever and don't degrade they act as a carbon store.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Michael
Chare writes
The government wants to introduce a charge for plastic bags. I have
never seen the point of this, it is not as if I see lots of empty bags
lying about or on beaches.

The bags we collect get used at least twice. Once to take goods from
the supermarket and once as pedal bin liners.

Where I live the council gives me plastic bags to put my rubbish in. I
use two per week, one clear bag for paper etc, and one black bag for
general rubbish. I am sure that the amount of plastic in these bags far
exceeds that in the supermarket bags.

Do we really need this legislation?

Not here. Our council now accepts these plastic bags for recycling. Had
it been introduced 5 or 10 years ago then I would have agreed with it
but it's a solution for yesterdays problem
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jethro_uk
writes
On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 13:20:29 +0100, Michael Chare wrote:

The government wants to introduce a charge for plastic bags. I have
never seen the point of this, it is not as if I see lots of empty bags
lying about or on beaches.

The bags we collect get used at least twice. Once to take goods from
the supermarket and once as pedal bin liners.

Where I live the council gives me plastic bags to put my rubbish in. I
use two per week, one clear bag for paper etc, and one black bag for
general rubbish. I am sure that the amount of plastic in these bags far
exceeds that in the supermarket bags.

Do we really need this legislation?

We have 2 collapsible boxes which we carry in the car. Come shop time, we
unfold one, put it in trolley, load, unload onto conveyor belt, and
reload at the other end.

I can load the box faster than the checkout operator can scan (they have
started an *every* item must be scanned regime at Sainsburys).
Additionally I have noticed that before, when they would throw stuff down
the conveyor as fast as possible in the hope of causing a mini pile up,
when I start loading, they deliberately switch the conveyor off.

Remember the days before bar codes when they had to pick up each item
look at the price labels and key in the value?
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2014 14:30, Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

Alas, you don't see any cardboard boxes at the checkout these days.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2014 13:34, John Williamson wrote:

Another popular end use is for
wrapping up dog sh1t and hanging it on the hedges where people walk
their dogs and children. :-/

The holes they put in the bags have their uses.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote:
[...]

there were plenty at Cobham Sainsburys this morning, although they are the
one that brought in fruit. Most of then others have been replaced by shrink
wrap.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
Alas, you don't see any cardboard boxes at the checkout these days.

I see lots of *wine* boxes, but they are of limited use.

They tend to be expensive, unless you actually want the wine :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
The government wants to introduce a charge for plastic bags. I have
never seen the point of this, it is not as if I see lots of empty bags
lying about or on beaches.

The bags we collect get used at least twice. Once to take goods from
the supermarket and once as pedal bin liners.

Where I live the council gives me plastic bags to put my rubbish in. I
use two per week, one clear bag for paper etc, and one black bag for
general rubbish. I am sure that the amount of plastic in these bags far
exceeds that in the supermarket bags.

Do we really need this legislation?

Since this idea was announced I have saved all my bags, and I have
economised on my re-use of them. I now have approx 1 trillion. I use
them for:
Bagging used incontinence products
Bagging soiled underwear on its way to the wash or the bin
Bagging mass-produced meals for freezing
Collecting clothes from hospital patient for washing at home, and the
return trip
Making up bags of chicken food
Storing confidential paperwork until I have a bonfire
Collecting scraps of wire etc in the workshop for eventual recycling by
Mr Scrapman
Sandwiches

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

Let's hope you don't get your meals and your incontinence products muddled
up.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote in message
o.uk...
The government wants to introduce a charge for plastic bags. I have never
seen the point of this, it is not as if I see lots of empty bags lying
about or on beaches.

it aint the bags that are the real problem its the excessive plastic
packaging round foodstuffs mr kipling for example

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2014 13:20, Michael Chare wrote:
The government wants to introduce a charge for plastic bags. I have
never seen the point of this, it is not as if I see lots of empty bags
lying about or on beaches.

The bags we collect get used at least twice. Once to take goods from
the supermarket and once as pedal bin liners.

Where I live the council gives me plastic bags to put my rubbish in. I
use two per week, one clear bag for paper etc, and one black bag for
general rubbish. I am sure that the amount of plastic in these bags far
exceeds that in the supermarket bags.

Do we really need this legislation?

We had the change a couple of years back in Wales .... makes total
sense, avoids hundreds of thousands of carrier bags going into landfill.

We just use "Bag for Life" and take them with us to shop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2014 16:07, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 04/06/2014 13:20, Michael Chare wrote:
The government wants to introduce a charge for plastic bags. I have
never seen the point of this, it is not as if I see lots of empty bags
lying about or on beaches.

The bags we collect get used at least twice. Once to take goods from
the supermarket and once as pedal bin liners.

Where I live the council gives me plastic bags to put my rubbish in. I
use two per week, one clear bag for paper etc, and one black bag for
general rubbish. I am sure that the amount of plastic in these bags far
exceeds that in the supermarket bags.

Do we really need this legislation?

We had the change a couple of years back in Wales .... makes total
sense, avoids hundreds of thousands of carrier bags going into landfill.

We just use "Bag for Life" and take them with us to shop.

I am not normally a fan of the Yanks, but why cannot our supermarkets
used paper sacks into which you can pack your shopping as they do?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

Hopefully not in that order. :-)

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 16:32:02 +0100, Broadback wrote:

The bags we collect get used at least twice. Once to take goods

from
the supermarket and once as pedal bin liners.

A decent weekly shop yields over half a dozen supermarket bags. Don't
get through anything like that number of bags.

Where I live the council gives me plastic bags to put my rubbish

in. I
use two per week, one clear bag for paper etc, and one black bag

for
general rubbish.

Our council supllied bag takes us a fornight to fill. Only goes out
with the recycling collection every two weeks. All it contains is
plastic wrappings, everything else goes to recycling or the compost
heap.
We just use "Bag for Life" and take them with us to shop.

Half dozen of the check "laundry" bags a number of years ago, still
going strong and have at three or four times the capacity of a
freebie supermarket bag. As they are fairly rigid and rectangular
they sit nicely together in the boot.

I am not normally a fan of the Yanks, but why cannot our supermarkets
used paper sacks into which you can pack your shopping as they do?

No handles so no carrying 2 or 3 in each hand. The give way if they
get damp.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Jun 2014 13:58:42 +0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk wrote:

Alas, you don't see any cardboard boxes at the checkout these

days.

Stuff still comes in boxes but now it tends to be a display box as
well so is of liitle use once one end and top have been removed.

I see lots of *wine* boxes, but they are of limited use.

I find that they are of a consistent size and proportion they are far
better than than some random selection. The size is OK, if storing
books or papers you don't want anything much bigger or it gets too
heavy.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Jun 2014 14:40:23 +0100, bert wrote:

Remember the days before bar codes when they had to pick up each item
look at the price labels and key in the value?

Labels? Do you not remember the round purple price stamp?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2014 16:15, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 15:59:05 +0100, Tomin Dotsson wrote:

"Michael Chare" mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote in message
o.uk...
The government wants to introduce a charge for plastic bags. I have
never seen the point of this, it is not as if I see lots of empty bags
lying about or on beaches.

it aint the bags that are the real problem its the excessive plastic
packaging round foodstuffs mr kipling for example

The worst are those rigid plastic moulded containers that have been heat-
sealed. You get things like strimmer reels in them. They're a menace to
open (you need a sharp knife, and hope it doesn't slip). They leave
lethally sharp edges (you could cut a throat with one), and they refuse
to be reduced in size.

I know the ones you mean - it's cheap and easy to pack, and a pain to undo.

I've noticed a growing number of companies using cardboard for
packaging, and they're getting quite good with it - some pretty fancy
shapes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, June 4, 2014 5:32:15 PM UTC+1, Clive George wrote:
On 04/06/2014 16:15, Jethro_uk wrote:

The worst are those rigid plastic moulded containers that have been heat-
sealed. You get things like strimmer reels in them. They're a menace to
open (you need a sharp knife, and hope it doesn't slip). They leave
lethally sharp edges (you could cut a throat with one), and they refuse
to be reduced in size.

I know the ones you mean - it's cheap and easy to pack, and a pain to undo.

I remember a friend complaining she'd bought a special tool to open those - which came packed in...you've guessed it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"John Williamson" wrote in message
On 04/06/2014 13:20, Michael Chare wrote:
The government wants to introduce a charge for plastic bags. I have
never seen the point of this, it is not as if I see lots of empty bags
lying about or on beaches.

Incidentally, paper bags buried a century ago are still intact, as are
newspapers, in many dumps, and the new, improved, plastic bags that
"biodegrade" in a few months all degrade into tiny plastic spheres which
get ingested by plankton and so by other animals that eat the plankton.

--

Plastic bags being made of plastic contain a high % of carbon. So if they
end up in landfill or wherever and don't degrade they act as a carbon
store. Keeping carbon out of the environment is a good thing isn't it?

Only compared with not getting it out of the ground in the first place.
Ideally they should be recycled.
I dunno why anyone should want plastic supermarket bags.
We have permanent cloth bags and never use them.
Using plastic bags is just idleness and ****wittery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
[...]

It's turned off by a photocell automatically as the goods get to the
cashier.
How else could the system work?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:
On 04/06/2014 13:20, Michael Chare wrote:
The government wants to introduce a charge for plastic bags. I have
never seen the point of this, it is not as if I see lots of empty bags
lying about or on beaches.

The bags we collect get used at least twice. Once to take goods from
the supermarket and once as pedal bin liners.

Where I live the council gives me plastic bags to put my rubbish in. I
use two per week, one clear bag for paper etc, and one black bag for
general rubbish. I am sure that the amount of plastic in these bags far
exceeds that in the supermarket bags.

Do we really need this legislation?

We had the change a couple of years back in Wales .... makes total
sense, avoids hundreds of thousands of carrier bags going into landfill.

We just use "Bag for Life" and take them with us to shop.

So presumably you buy bin liners and put those into landfill?

We have a holder specially designed for the supermarket carrier bags so
ours get re-used for waste at minimal cost.

Is this legislation really key to the UK survival from its economic
problems FFS
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2014 16:32, Broadback wrote:
[...]

I have seen an argument (not sure how valid it is) that paper bags are
even worse than plastic for the environment since they are much heavier
to transport in bulk (use more diesel etc)

--
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2014 14:40, bert wrote:
In message , Jethro_uk
writes
On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 13:20:29 +0100, Michael Chare wrote:

Remember the days before bar codes when they had to pick up each item
look at the price labels and key in the value?

In the early 80's Kwik Save didn't used to have any prices on the
products (shelf edge only), staff had to memorise prices (very
occasionally they would have to ask someone on the next till or look
them up).

Kwik Save didn't have as many lines as Tesco but it was probably getting
on for as many as the current Aldi/Lidl. (Kwik Save occupied the same
part of the market as Aldi/Lidl do now - I wonder what happened to them.

--
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 18:18:03 +0100, news wrote:

Kwik Save occupied the same part of the market as Aldi/Lidl do now - I
wonder what happened to them.

They went titsup in 2007, but were relaunched in 2012.
http://www.kwiksave.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2014 18:13, news wrote:
[...]

They also decompose to generate methane in landfill, unless they are
burnt, which at least has the benefit of not releasing any fossil carbon
into the atmosphere.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they also use more energy and make more
pollution in the manufacturing process.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2014 18:01, Bob Minchin wrote:
Rick Hughes wrote:
[...]

No, it's a sop to the Green lobby. There are,though, some reasonably
good reasons for bags to be charged for.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2014 18:01, Bob Minchin wrote:

So presumably you buy bin liners and put those into landfill?

We don't need bin liners. All the waste away from the kitchen is dry or
sufficiently non-icky to not be a problem. The compost bin/bucket gets
nearly all the icky stuff. A bit goes in the main kitchen bin, which
gets tipped into the wheelie bin and doesn't seem to get icky at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 16:43:02 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Rick Hughes
wrote:

On 04/06/2014 13:20, Michael Chare wrote:
The government wants to introduce a charge for plastic bags. I have
never seen the point of this, it is not as if I see lots of empty
bags lying about or on beaches.

The bags we collect get used at least twice. Once to take goods from
the supermarket and once as pedal bin liners.

Where I live the council gives me plastic bags to put my rubbish in.
I use two per week, one clear bag for paper etc, and one black bag
for general rubbish. I am sure that the amount of plastic in these
bags far exceeds that in the supermarket bags.

Do we really need this legislation?

We had the change a couple of years back in Wales .... makes total
sense, avoids hundreds of thousands of carrier bags going into
landfill.

We just use "Bag for Life" and take them with us to shop.

We already do that *without* the legislation.

BTW, is this going to apply to bags used by supermarkets for their
on-line shopping deliveries? We get one a month from Sainsbury's and
they usually use 10-15 bags - many more than needed actually. That could
add a quid to that shop.

Ocado collect all of theirs for recycling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:

Let's hope you don't get your meals and your incontinence products muddled
up.

My cooking tastes like **** anyway.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-06-04, Clive George wrote:

On 04/06/2014 16:15, Jethro_uk wrote:

The worst are those rigid plastic moulded containers that have been heat-
sealed. You get things like strimmer reels in them. They're a menace to
open (you need a sharp knife, and hope it doesn't slip). They leave
lethally sharp edges (you could cut a throat with one), and they refuse
to be reduced in size.

Never mind the throad, it's the other hand (especially the thumb)
that's holding the packaging that I worry about. And quite often, the
products are packed so they meander around inside the plastic pack so
that it's difficult to avoid either stabbing yourself or damaging the
contents.

I know the ones you mean - it's cheap and easy to pack, and a pain to undo.

I've noticed a growing number of companies using cardboard for
packaging, and they're getting quite good with it - some pretty fancy
shapes.

Yes. Good for them --- cardboard is easy to open & easy to recycle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-06-04, John Williamson wrote:

On 04/06/2014 18:01, Bob Minchin wrote:

So presumably you buy bin liners and put those into landfill?

We have a holder specially designed for the supermarket carrier bags so
ours get re-used for waste at minimal cost.

We use carrier bags in the bathroom bin, but we are still getting free
ones at a sufficient rate.

Is this legislation really key to the UK survival from its economic
problems FFS

No, it's a sop to the Green lobby. There are,though, some reasonably
good reasons for bags to be charged for.

AIUI, countries/regions that have imposed carrier bag charges have
discovered a decline in litter afterwards as a pleasant side effect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-06-04, Clive George wrote:

On 04/06/2014 18:01, Bob Minchin wrote:

So presumably you buy bin liners and put those into landfill?

We don't need bin liners. All the waste away from the kitchen is dry or
sufficiently non-icky to not be a problem. The compost bin/bucket gets
nearly all the icky stuff. A bit goes in the main kitchen bin, which
gets tipped into the wheelie bin and doesn't seem to get icky at all.

I don't know how you manage that. When we first got a reasonably
well-sealed pedal bin some years ago, I thought it could be used
baglessly, but it turned out to be a smelly mess after a while. We
have used bags since then. (And yes, I put food waste as such in the
worm bin, but icky packaging still has to go in the (bag-lined)
kitchen bin.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-06-04, Clive George wrote:

On 04/06/2014 18:01, Bob Minchin wrote:

So presumably you buy bin liners and put those into landfill?

We don't need bin liners. All the waste away from the kitchen is dry or
sufficiently non-icky to not be a problem. The compost bin/bucket gets
nearly all the icky stuff. A bit goes in the main kitchen bin, which
gets tipped into the wheelie bin and doesn't seem to get icky at all.

I don't know how you manage that. When we first got a reasonably
well-sealed pedal bin some years ago, I thought it could be used
baglessly, but it turned out to be a smelly mess after a while. We
have used bags since then. (And yes, I put food waste as such in the
worm bin, but icky packaging still has to go in the (bag-lined)
kitchen bin.)

I don't know how people don't manage it :-)

Maybe we don't have that much icky packaging on our food? Obviously dry
food packaging such as one gets pasta in isn't an issue. Cheese and meat
have some, with meat potentially being the worst, but IME there's really
not that much ick there and one can nest packaging (eg put something
manky inside a cereal bag). Tins and bottles get washed out and go in
the recycling.

It's a fairly big bin, and we don't lean on stuff to make it go in -
easier to tip it into the wheelie bin if you don't.

Maybe not having it sealed actually helps? We don't keep a lid on it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2014 13:20, Michael Chare wrote:
The government wants to introduce a charge for plastic bags. I have
never seen the point of this, it is not as if I see lots of empty bags
lying about or on beaches.

The bags we collect get used at least twice. Once to take goods from
the supermarket and once as pedal bin liners.

Where I live the council gives me plastic bags to put my rubbish in. I
use two per week, one clear bag for paper etc, and one black bag for
general rubbish. I am sure that the amount of plastic in these bags far
exceeds that in the supermarket bags.

Do we really need this legislation?

We use a picnic coolbag for our shopping - and some woven nylon
re-usable bags for things that don't fit. It is good to have the
reassurance that the food doesn't warm up too much on the way home.

--
Rod

plastic coin bags Jim Hawkins UK diy 74 November 1st 13 09:39 PM
OT Supermarket Trolleys mark UK diy 63 April 10th 09 02:05 PM
Plastic bags to protect items in attic mc Home Ownership 5 December 29th 07 04:54 PM
Where buy Clear Plastic Bags for Dust Collector? trs80 Woodworking 19 April 16th 07 02:12 AM
Making different sized plastic bags for storing stuff. Possible? Mike UK diy 3 January 2nd 07 09:46 AM