Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
mc mc is offline

Default Plastic bags to protect items in attic

For years we used plastic garbage bags to protect items stored in our attic,
but it has become obvious that garbage bags are designed to disintegrate
with age. (Plastic bags in the attic turn into piles of small shreds of
brittle white plastic.)

This is good for the landfill but not good for the attic. Can someone
suggest a different kind of bag to use?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Fri, 28 Dec 2007 17:11:51 -0500 from mc
:
For years we used plastic garbage bags to protect items stored in our attic,
but it has become obvious that garbage bags are designed to disintegrate
with age. (Plastic bags in the attic turn into piles of small shreds of
brittle white plastic.)

This is good for the landfill but not good for the attic. Can someone
suggest a different kind of bag to use?

I would at least look at the "space bags" sold at Wal-mart and other
big-box retailers. Somewhere n the package or at the manufacturer's
Web sit you ought to be able to find what storage conditions they're
rated for.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

For years we used plastic garbage bags to protect items stored in our attic,
but it has become obvious that garbage bags are designed to disintegrate
with age. (Plastic bags in the attic turn into piles of small shreds of
brittle white plastic.)

I'm not a plastics engineer but I have many "garbage" bags
over 15 years old that are as good as new.
It depends on the type of plastic, thickness, etc.
I suspect the huge "contractor's trash bags" sold at
Lowe's Depot may fare better.

I would at least look at the "space bags" sold at ...

"Zip Lock" now sells HUGE bags to complete with those for storage.
Beyond Linens & things ought to have them in the closet/storage ideas section.

Or get industrial "drum liners".
Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 17:11:51 -0500, "mc"
wrote:

For years we used plastic garbage bags to protect items stored in our attic,
but it has become obvious that garbage bags are designed to disintegrate
with age. (Plastic bags in the attic turn into piles of small shreds of
brittle white plastic.)

This is good for the landfill but not good for the attic. Can someone
suggest a different kind of bag to use?

Heat isn't likely good for anything you store up there. Also,
compressing attic insulation isn't at all good for your heating bills.
Add to all that, anything burnable up there is a real bad idea, and
you should consider getting rid of stuff you only want bad enough to
keep in the attic.
Posted to misc.consumers.house
mc mc is offline

"Chris Hill" wrote in message

Heat isn't likely good for anything you store up there. Also,
compressing attic insulation isn't at all good for your heating bills.
Add to all that, anything burnable up there is a real bad idea, and
you should consider getting rid of stuff you only want bad enough to
keep in the attic.

You haven't seen my attic. Wood floor. Ventilation.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
mc mc is offline

"mc" wrote in message
. ..
"Chris Hill" wrote in message

Heat isn't likely good for anything you store up there. Also,
compressing attic insulation isn't at all good for your heating bills.
Add to all that, anything burnable up there is a real bad idea, and
you should consider getting rid of stuff you only want bad enough to
keep in the attic.

You haven't seen my attic. Wood floor. Ventilation.

I should add that my attic -- which is plenty big enough to walk around
in -- was designed to be finished off into a second story; part of it has
been; the rest of it may one day be. In the meantime it's not a bad place.