Posted to alt.home.repair
Simon

Default Plastic over windows to protect?

I have a smallish backyard, 90 x 60 feet. It is a bit tight for kids playing
back there. Last summer one of the expensive insulated glass windows got
broken. I'd like to put some sort of plastic panel, as a storm window, to
help protect them. I don't open these windows and I don't need them as an
emergency egress as there is a side window and an outside door in the room.
The windows are about 40 inches square. What do I need and how should I go
about installing.
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Simon wrote:
I have a smallish backyard, 90 x 60 feet. It is a bit tight for kids
playing back there. Last summer one of the expensive insulated glass
windows got broken. I'd like to put some sort of plastic panel, as a
storm window, to help protect them. I don't open these windows and I
don't need them as an emergency egress as there is a side window and
an outside door in the room. The windows are about 40 inches square.
What do I need and how should I go about installing.
Thanks

Make a frame, add the plastic panels and get some of the hardware from
the hardware store to install them.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Simon wrote:
I have a smallish backyard, 90 x 60 feet. It is a bit tight for kids playing
back there. Last summer one of the expensive insulated glass windows got
broken. I'd like to put some sort of plastic panel, as a storm window, to
help protect them. I don't open these windows and I don't need them as an
emergency egress as there is a side window and an outside door in the room.
The windows are about 40 inches square. What do I need and how should I go
about installing.
Thanks

You could put up window screens. They may not look as odd as a piece of
plastic.

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

Go to plastics store and compare thin polycarbonate (Lexan) to Plexiglas.
It is much stronger (ever try to shatter a CD) and you can use a thinner
piece so the cost may not be a lot different.

"Simon" wrote in message
I have a smallish backyard, 90 x 60 feet. It is a bit tight for kids
playing back there. Last summer one of the expensive insulated glass
windows got broken. I'd like to put some sort of plastic panel, as a storm
window, to help protect them. I don't open these windows and I don't need
them as an emergency egress as there is a side window and an outside door
in the room. The windows are about 40 inches square. What do I need and how
should I go about installing.
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
JohnR66

"Simon" wrote in message
I have a smallish backyard, 90 x 60 feet. It is a bit tight for kids
playing back there. Last summer one of the expensive insulated glass
windows got broken. I'd like to put some sort of plastic panel, as a storm
window, to help protect them. I don't open these windows and I don't need
them as an emergency egress as there is a side window and an outside door
in the room. The windows are about 40 inches square. What do I need and how
should I go about installing.
Thanks

A few ways to tackle:
1) Look for a storm window kit. See if they have tempered glass. Tempered
should handle most impacts well.

2) Acrylic plastic panel. Has many trade names such as Lucite and Plexiglas.
It must go into a channeled frame. Channel must give some expansion room.
Don't screw it direct to the window frame. Screws are a stress point and it
may crack around the holes. You have to clean it with water (no Windex!) and
a soft cotton cloth to keep it clear. Forget the thin acrylic at the
hardware stores. You need 1/8" thick for your size.

3) Polycarbonate. Lexan is a trade name. It is the toughest of all, but it
has a softer surface than acrylic and scratches easy. It will also haze in
the sunlight and it is very expensive. Home Depot sells both acrylic and
Lexan (sorry about the plug).

If your up to building frames, acrylic is probably your best bet.
John

Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Daly

On 5-Mar-2006, "JohnR66" wrote:

3) Polycarbonate. Lexan is a trade name. It is the toughest of all, but it
has a softer surface than acrylic and scratches easy. It will also haze in
the sunlight and it is very expensive. Home Depot sells both acrylic and
Lexan (sorry about the plug).

If you go with polycarbonate, there are UV resistant versions specifically made
for use in applications like this. One side is treated and goes to the outside.

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair
John

Jeff wrote:
Go to plastics store and compare thin polycarbonate (Lexan) to Plexiglas.
It is much stronger (ever try to shatter a CD)

If you try breaking a CD with your hands, it's like the CD just explodes.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 22:07:05 GMT, John wrote:

Jeff wrote:
Go to plastics store and compare thin polycarbonate (Lexan) to Plexiglas.
It is much stronger (ever try to shatter a CD)

If you try breaking a CD with your hands, it's like the CD just explodes.

You can cut one with scissors. That's what I do with AOL CDs.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Jeff wrote:
Go to plastics store and compare thin polycarbonate (Lexan)
to Plexiglas.
It is much stronger (ever try to shatter a CD)

If you try breaking a CD with your hands, it's like the CD just
explodes.

You can cut one with scissors. That's what I do with AOL CDs.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I use 'em for target practice - good peripheral, nice sized
center hole for 30 yards. Misses are easy to see.

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Living in an MDF universe Paul Hays Woodworking 19 April 11th 05 12:41 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
adding on to our house - which windows? Michele Home Ownership 4 September 11th 03 05:38 AM
Replacement Plastic Windows for Sun Room jwbeaty Home Ownership 0 August 7th 03 12:57 AM