Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default plastic coin bags

Where can you get those plastic bags
that the banks use for the various coins
(1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p & 50p) ?
Will the banks give non-commercial
customers a supply of them ?

Jim Hawkins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 19:34:18 +0000, Jim Hawkins wrote:

Where can you get those plastic bags that the banks use for the various
coins (1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p & 50p) ?
Will the banks give non-commercial customers a supply of them ?

Yep. Just go in and ask nicely.

If you've been collecting coppers up, they want 'em bagged to cash in
anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hawkins wrote:
Where can you get those plastic bags
that the banks use for the various coins
(1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p & 50p) ?
Will the banks give non-commercial
customers a supply of them ?

Our bank ( Bank of Scotland, Currie) has them just lying out (well in a
display thing but...) and you just help yourself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 19:34:18 +0000, Jim Hawkins wrote:

Where can you get those plastic bags that the banks use for the various
coins (1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p & 50p) ?
Will the banks give non-commercial customers a supply of them ?

Yep. Just go in and ask nicely.

Yep, but if you ask for lots they might dread you bringing them back all
at once, at peak time ...

If you've been collecting coppers up, they want 'em bagged to cash in
anyway.

Nah, find a branch with a coin counter (like the coinstar ones in
supermarkets but without the 10% deduction).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andy
Burns escribió:

Nah, find a branch with a coin counter (like the coinstar ones in
supermarkets but without the 10% deduction).

8.9%.

I dump coppers and 5ps in Coinstar, my local HSBC branch are happy to
take the rest if I bag 'em up correctly (and they'll give out the bags
on request).

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2013 20:26, Andy Burns wrote:

If you've been collecting coppers up, they want 'em bagged to cash in
anyway.

Nah, find a branch with a coin counter (like the coinstar ones in
supermarkets but without the 10% deduction).

Branch finder
http://www.cashincoins.co.uk/

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim Hawkins
writes
Where can you get those plastic bags
that the banks use for the various coins
(1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p & 50p) ?
Will the banks give non-commercial
customers a supply of them ?

Ask your local friendly sub postmaster - and support his office :-)

I have just retired as a sub postmaster, and kept most of the village
supplied with coin bags, which I obtained, without charge, from Post
Office Ltd.

Just don't take 'em back to the PO, full of pennies, and expect him to
smile whilst counting them.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim Hawkins wrote:
Where can you get those plastic bags that the banks use for the
various coins (1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p & 50p) ? Will the banks give
non-commercial customers a supply of them ?

My bank (Barclays) just gives me a handful if I ask nicely. The
local branches weigh the bagged-up coins to check they contain the
correct amount. Even so, I don't take too many in at once.

The last time I did this, I vaguely remember they wanted the money
paid into my account rather than exchanged for a fistful of fivers.
Possibly under some nosy government guidelines to make it easy
to track what I spend on Internet cryptography, drugs, arms, drink
and loose women...not necessarily in that order...
--
Dennis Davis
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian C wrote:
On 27/10/2013 20:26, Andy Burns wrote:

If you've been collecting coppers up, they want 'em bagged to
cash in anyway.

Nah, find a branch with a coin counter (like the coinstar ones in
supermarkets but without the 10% deduction).

Branch finder
http://www.cashincoins.co.uk/

Useful to know but might not be that useful. Depends on where you
live.

There's no bank with a coin counter within 5 miles of where I live.
I can go 15 miles and find a branch of HSBC with a coin counter...I
don't bank with HSBC...
--
Dennis Davis
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dennis Davis wrote:
Possibly under some nosy government guidelines to make it easy
to track what I spend on Internet cryptography, drugs, arms, drink
and loose women...not necessarily in that order...

It's a better combination than internet women and loose cryptography

More likely, if they process it as a customer deposit it counts as a transaction under their daily workload targets; if they just swap the money it takes them time which their manager will wonder what they've spent doing.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Nah, find a branch with a coin counter (like the coinstar ones in
supermarkets but without the 10% deduction).

My local Tesco self-scan tills require coins to be fed in individually, but IIRC Morrisons (or Asda?) tills have a small hopper you can pour the money into.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C :
On 27/10/2013 20:26, Andy Burns wrote:

If you've been collecting coppers up, they want 'em bagged to cash in
anyway.

Nah, find a branch with a coin counter (like the coinstar ones in
supermarkets but without the 10% deduction).

Branch finder
http://www.cashincoins.co.uk/

As my bank (First Direct) has no branches AFAIK, not very useful. But
interesting.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2013 19:34, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Where can you get those plastic bags
that the banks use for the various coins
(1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p & 50p) ?
Will the banks give non-commercial
customers a supply of them ?

Jim Hawkins

Yes. Just ask them for some and they will give you a handful.

They take a dim view of you turning up with a large bag of mixed change.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 23:09:36 +0000, Mike Barnes wrote:

As my bank (First Direct) has no branches AFAIK

It has hundreds. They say "HSBC" on the front.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 October 2013 20:26:24 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

coin counter (like the coinstar ones in supermarkets but with 10% deduction)

are like ursury aren't they. Why do people give money away like that and why is such ursury permitted?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer put finger to keyboard:

On Sunday, 27 October 2013 20:26:24 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

coin counter (like the coinstar ones in supermarkets but with 10%
deduction)

are like ursury aren't they. Why do people give money away like that and
why is such ursury permitted?

I give away money like that, gladly. I don't mind paying for the service
because I no longer have to count up and bag up hundreds of 1p, 2p, 5p and
10p coins.

Anything larger gets used as normal, or bagged up and taken to the bank.

I did boggle at the lady in front of me who tipped in £160 worth of mixed
coins, with £1 coins being the most common (she showed me the receipt).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2013 11:17, Scion wrote:
Weatherlawyer put finger to keyboard:

On Sunday, 27 October 2013 20:26:24 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

coin counter (like the coinstar ones in supermarkets but with 10%
deduction)

are like ursury aren't they. Why do people give money away like that and
why is such ursury permitted?

Usury is charging excessive interest on a loan like the delightful Wonga
and its ilk. This is just normal ripoff Britain overcharging.

I give away money like that, gladly. I don't mind paying for the service
because I no longer have to count up and bag up hundreds of 1p, 2p, 5p and
10p coins.

If you have to do it regularly then make or buy a simple coin sorter.
(by size and thickness) it orders them 5p, 1p, £1, 10p, 20p, 2p, 50p, £2

Anything larger gets used as normal, or bagged up and taken to the bank.

I did boggle at the lady in front of me who tipped in £160 worth of mixed
coins, with £1 coins being the most common (she showed me the receipt).

I can't see why anyone would ever do this. It takes only a few minutes
to sort even large amounts of loose change. I did exactly this job for
our village hall yesterday with the takings from our Halloween Quiz.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 11:58:34 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

I did boggle at the lady in front of me who tipped in £160 worth of
mixed coins, with £1 coins being the most common (she showed me the
receipt).

I can't see why anyone would ever do this.

Indolence, with a slight side-order of "haven't bothered reading the
small print", mainly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian :
On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 23:09:36 +0000, Mike Barnes wrote:

As my bank (First Direct) has no branches AFAIK

It has hundreds. They say "HSBC" on the front.

I know that HSBC and First Direct are under the same ownership, but I'm
not sure that First Direct customers' accounts are serviced at HSBC
branches.

I will try bunging some coins in a machine next time I'm near a suitable
branch, but with more optimism than confidence.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian put finger to keyboard:

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 11:58:34 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

I did boggle at the lady in front of me who tipped in £160 worth of
mixed coins, with £1 coins being the most common (she showed me the
receipt).

I can't see why anyone would ever do this.

Indolence, with a slight side-order of "haven't bothered reading the
small print", mainly.

Or possibly thinking that 8% is quite a small number. And it is, compared
to the Wonga loan APR.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2013 09:50, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Sunday, 27 October 2013 20:26:24 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

coin counter (like the coinstar ones in supermarkets but with 10% deduction)

are like ursury aren't they. Why do people give money away like that and why is such ursury permitted?

The thing that got me about Coinstar was that they offer to send the
money to a charity. And still charge almost exactly the same amount.
Plus they make it non-viable for any but a few charities to actually get
signed up with them at all.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim Hawkins" wrote in message

Where can you get those plastic bags
that the banks use for the various coins
(1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p & 50p) ?
Will the banks give non-commercial
customers a supply of them ?

Jim Hawkins

https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/Di...Money-Machine/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

coin counter (like the coinstar ones in supermarkets

are like ursury aren't they. Why do people give money away like that and why is such ursury permitted?

Actually on the odd ocasion when I've tasked my nephews to count a chunk
of change for me, I gave them 10%

The thing that got me about Coinstar was that they offer to send the
money to a charity. And still charge almost exactly the same amount.

I always wondered about that, presumably the donation is made in their
name, not yours, so is gives them corporation tax relief?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mike Barnes
writes

I know that HSBC and First Direct are under the same ownership, but I'm
not sure that First Direct customers' accounts are serviced at HSBC
branches.

They are.

HSBC branches are also happy to take bagged coins, weigh them, and pay
them into my First Direct account.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Scion
writes

Or possibly thinking that 8% is quite a small number. And it is, compared
to the Wonga loan APR.

8.9%. It's worth paying to not to have to count coppers and 5p coins,
but anything bigger I bag and take into a branch.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , polygonum
writes

The thing that got me about Coinstar was that they offer to send the
money to a charity. And still charge almost exactly the same amount.

How do you think they pay for the machines, the staff to service and
empty them, and the rent payable to the store?

If you don't like them, don't use them.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Scion
writes

Or possibly thinking that 8% is quite a small number. And it is, compared
to the Wonga loan APR.

8.9%. It's worth paying to not to have to count coppers and 5p coins,
but anything bigger I bag and take into a branch.

Since I found out the the supermarket self checkouts can accept large
quantities of coins (and allow you to top up by notes/credit card if
necessary), I've not found any need for those machines.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 29 October 2013 09:27 Mike Tomlinson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article , polygonum
writes

The thing that got me about Coinstar was that they offer to send the
money to a charity. And still charge almost exactly the same amount.

How do you think they pay for the machines, the staff to service and
empty them, and the rent payable to the store?

The store could cover those costs (and own the machine) to increase footfall
which is an accepted marketing technique.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2013 09:25, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Scion
writes

Or possibly thinking that 8% is quite a small number. And it is, compared
to the Wonga loan APR.

8.9%. It's worth paying to not to have to count coppers and 5p coins,
but anything bigger I bag and take into a branch.

Erm. This is UK DIY! Why not make yourself a simple coin sorter?

It isn't exactly rocket science - a few holes or slots in a piece of
wood and a simple track to roll the coins down. You can buy coin sorters
that are Heath Robinson battery powered but it isn't worth it. I can do
it almost as quickly with a heap of change on a table. YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-10-29, Tim Watts wrote:
On Tuesday 29 October 2013 09:27 Mike Tomlinson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article , polygonum
writes

The thing that got me about Coinstar was that they offer to send the
money to a charity. And still charge almost exactly the same amount.

How do you think they pay for the machines, the staff to service and
empty them, and the rent payable to the store?

The store could cover those costs (and own the machine) to increase
footfall which is an accepted marketing technique.

They *could*, but why should they?

Which bit of "increase footfall" passed you by?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-10-29, Tim Watts wrote:
On Tuesday 29 October 2013 09:27 Mike Tomlinson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article , polygonum
writes

The thing that got me about Coinstar was that they offer to send the
money to a charity. And still charge almost exactly the same amount.

How do you think they pay for the machines, the staff to service and
empty them, and the rent payable to the store?

The store could cover those costs (and own the machine) to increase
footfall which is an accepted marketing technique.

They *could*, but why should they?

Which bit of "increase footfall" passed you by?

Supermarkets are not stupid. If they thought they would make more money
by offering free coin counting, they would.

Or it just hasn't occurred to them yet.

These are the people who will have special offers selling below cost[1] on
the basis that once in the door, the customer is likely to do a load of
other shopping at the same time, leading to a net profit increase.

[1] I knew someone who worked for ASDA once. Apparantly, they make as much
profit investing their cash float[2] as they do in "honest profit".

[2] The float that occurs due to the customer paying on the spot, but the
suppliers being on 3 mont, 6 month or longer settlement terms.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum put finger to keyboard:

On 28/10/2013 09:50, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Sunday, 27 October 2013 20:26:24 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

coin counter (like the coinstar ones in supermarkets but with 10%
deduction)

are like ursury aren't they. Why do people give money away like that
and why is such ursury permitted?

The thing that got me about Coinstar was that they offer to send the
money to a charity. And still charge almost exactly the same amount.
Plus they make it non-viable for any but a few charities to actually get
signed up with them at all.

The ones I've seen charge no commission at all if you opt to donate to
charity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2013 19:15, polygonum wrote:
On 28/10/2013 09:50, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Sunday, 27 October 2013 20:26:24 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

coin counter (like the coinstar ones in supermarkets but with 10%
deduction)

are like ursury aren't they. Why do people give money away like that
and why is such ursury permitted?

The thing that got me about Coinstar was that they offer to send the
money to a charity. And still charge almost exactly the same amount.
Plus they make it non-viable for any but a few charities to actually get
signed up with them at all.

Are you sure?
Last time I looked you could donate to charity but coinstar still took
their percentage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2013 14:29, Scion wrote:
polygonum put finger to keyboard:

On 28/10/2013 09:50, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Sunday, 27 October 2013 20:26:24 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

coin counter (like the coinstar ones in supermarkets but with 10%
deduction)

are like ursury aren't they. Why do people give money away like that
and why is such ursury permitted?

The thing that got me about Coinstar was that they offer to send the
money to a charity. And still charge almost exactly the same amount.
Plus they make it non-viable for any but a few charities to actually get
signed up with them at all.

The ones I've seen charge no commission at all if you opt to donate to
charity.

Which ones are those?

I found out about Coinstar because I noticed the charity option. Thought
a small charity I like to help might be able to get its supporters to
donate that way. The commission and the fact that the company was not
exactly helpful about setting it up made it non-viable. So one that
doesn't charge and might be willing to help in setting things up would
be of interest.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2013 14:59, dennis@home wrote:
On 28/10/2013 19:15, polygonum wrote:
On 28/10/2013 09:50, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Sunday, 27 October 2013 20:26:24 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

coin counter (like the coinstar ones in supermarkets but with 10%
deduction)

are like ursury aren't they. Why do people give money away like that
and why is such ursury permitted?

The thing that got me about Coinstar was that they offer to send the
money to a charity. And still charge almost exactly the same amount.
Plus they make it non-viable for any but a few charities to actually get
signed up with them at all.

Are you sure?
Last time I looked you could donate to charity but coinstar still took
their percentage.

That is what I said. Coinstar charge almost exactly the same amount even
if the recipient is a charity.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 28 October 2013 14:30:25 UTC, Mike Barnes wrote:

I know that HSBC and First Direct are under the same ownership, but I'm
not sure that First Direct customers' accounts are serviced at HSBC
branches.

They are, although there are some oddities in the required process sometimes e.g. when buying foreign currency I (as a FirstDirect account holder) had to let them perform what appeared to be a rather convoluted process to do so as compared to a 'native' HSBC account holder.

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes

On 2013-10-29, Tim Watts wrote:
On Tuesday 29 October 2013 09:27 Mike Tomlinson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article , polygonum
writes

The thing that got me about Coinstar was that they offer to send the
money to a charity. And still charge almost exactly the same amount.

How do you think they pay for the machines, the staff to service and
empty them, and the rent payable to the store?

The store could cover those costs (and own the machine) to increase
footfall which is an accepted marketing technique.

They *could*, but why should they?

Which bit of "increase footfall" passed you by?

The bit that said the increase would be little above zero if at all and
not worth the hassle.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 27/10/2013 19:34, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Where can you get those plastic bags
that the banks use for the various coins
(1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p & 50p) ?
Will the banks give non-commercial
customers a supply of them ?

Jim Hawkins

Yes. Just ask them for some and they will give you a handful.

They take a dim view of you turning up with a large bag of mixed change.

So dim they will refuse to accept it - had a blazing row in Nat West to
prove it :-)
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2013 20:51, polygonum wrote:
[...]

Oh, I thought you were making the same mistake a lot of people that use
it for the first time and think just the commission goes to charity not
the actual coins you put in.
Sorry.