Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT-ish B&Q automated checkout

I daren't go into B&Q if I am feeling at all out of sorts.

I know I will end up in trouble.

They don't person the row of tills any more, just have one attendant on
the four station automated checkout.

So you have to use the damn thing.

It is voiced by some kind of neurotic harpy with the vindictive timing so
that just as you are lifting the next item out of your trolley, she whines
about you putting the next item through the till.

After a few items I fell like continually shouting

"Shut the **** up!!!!!!!!"

One day..........

"Please swipe the next article"

"14 pound sledge hammer"

"No"

"Ouch!"

"Stop that!!"

"Grrrrkkkkkk"

On a related note, if they can't get enough footfall through a massive
store/warehouse/hanger to keep the tills busy then the can't be making a
profit on the stock they hold.

As with HomeBase, their days must surely be numbered.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 16:13, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
[...]

Or they want to make more profit than they do. Reducing staffing by one
person in every store for every hour they are open, assuming adult
minimum wage, will save them around £10 million a year.

As with HomeBase, their days must surely be numbered.

The usual indicator is when there is noticeably less stock on the shelves.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/13 16:13, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I daren't go into B&Q if I am feeling at all out of sorts.

I know I will end up in trouble.

They don't person the row of tills any more, just have one attendant on
the four station automated checkout.

So you have to use the damn thing.

I went into Marks early one day last week and having filled my
mini-trolley, found a queue at the DIY tills "Because the manager has
decided not to open the checkouts." I guess until 9:00AM ! On getting
home I emailed Customer Services and told them it was ridiculous and I
wouldn't be going back unless they had a checkout available. Within 15
minutes I had a reply saying that the local management team had been
contacted and thanks for letting them know. I actually haven't been into
B&Q since they were introduced. As a *choice* they are fine and with a
few items I will use them but if enough people complained and voted with
their feet perhaps they would at least maintain the option.
It should be about what the customer wants, though I can see them
eventually adding a surcharge for use of a checkout!

Andy C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 16:38:09 +0100, Andy Cap wrote:

[...]

To be clear, I'm not at all against automated checkouts - when properly
implemented they can be very good and fast.

It is just that the voice and the timings on the B&Q checkout are
immensely irritating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

It is noticable in my local Tesco that there is often heavy useage of the
staffed
'Basket' checkout, despite all the self service tills being free.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
Reducing staffing by one person in every store for every hour they are
open, assuming adult minimum wage, will save them around £10 million a
year.

Saved me a bit of cash, too.

Last time I took SWMBO there for her to look at the potted plants or
something, I picked up a bag of stainless bolts thinking they would do
for the electric winch. Got to the checkout to find no staff, just a
machine. They must have had to carry the bolts back to the shelf, and I
came home and bought them for 25% of the price off ebay.

In my current paint quest, I have been actively ignoring all those
saying to me "Everyone else just goes to B & Q and buys it off the
shelf".
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 16:48, Tahiri wrote:
[...]

Obviously good Trade Unionists, who realise that if they use the
self-service tills they are stealing the jobs of other people.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, April 12, 2013 4:48:27 PM UTC+1, Tahiri wrote:
[...]

A checkout girl in sainsbury asked me to use one of those automated tills and I said that's OK I'd rather to stay in this queue and she asked me why, so I said I don;t want to see you loose your job, and a look of shock came over her face.

Yes I can see a time when no staff are in supermarkets simnilar to train stations at night.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 16:38, Andy Cap wrote:
On 12/04/13 16:13, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I daren't go into B&Q if I am feeling at all out of sorts.

I know I will end up in trouble.

They don't person the row of tills any more, just have one attendant on
the four station automated checkout.

So you have to use the damn thing.

I don't mind them all that much. Often quicker than queuing.

I went into Marks early one day last week and having filled my
mini-trolley, found a queue at the DIY tills "Because the manager has
decided not to open the checkouts." I guess until 9:00AM ! On getting
home I emailed Customer Services and told them it was ridiculous and I
wouldn't be going back unless they had a checkout available. Within 15

M&S clearly have a death wish. The last three stores I have been in had
the new layout designed by someone who must have severe difficulties
comprehending the world around them. In one there is no way for people
to get to the quick service tills because the long queues for the main
tills and people trying to get into the shop bar the way. In another the
main down escalator to the food hall dumps you on the exit side behind
the checkouts and everybody then has to fight their way out.

B&Q since they were introduced. As a *choice* they are fine and with a
few items I will use them but if enough people complained and voted with
their feet perhaps they would at least maintain the option.
It should be about what the customer wants, though I can see them
eventually adding a surcharge for use of a checkout!

Quite possibly as the people are a variable cost that can be eliminated
and replaced by robotics. Same is happening in libraries too.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David.WE.Roberts wrote:
To be clear, I'm not at all against automated checkouts - when
properly implemented they can be very good and fast.

It is just that the voice and the timings on the B&Q checkout are
immensely irritating.

They can't possibly be more irritating that the ones they have in Morrisons,
as soon as you start scanning, it starts squawking, 'put the item in the
baaag' beep 'put the item in the baaag' beep 'put the item in the baaag' -
there's not a fraction of a second between the beep of the barcode and the
incessant drone of the most hideous voice you've ever heard - imagine Janet
Street-Porter holding her nose....I can't believe there were choices and
someone at head office decided, 'ah, that's the one'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 12, 4:48*pm, "Tahiri" wrote:
[...]

If you are buying spirits someone has to take the security thing off
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 17:23, Phil L wrote:
David.WE.Roberts wrote:
To be clear, I'm not at all against automated checkouts - when
properly implemented they can be very good and fast.

It is just that the voice and the timings on the B&Q checkout are
immensely irritating.

They can't possibly be more irritating that the ones they have in Morrisons,
as soon as you start scanning, it starts squawking, 'put the item in the
baaag' beep 'put the item in the baaag' beep 'put the item in the baaag' -
there's not a fraction of a second between the beep of the barcode and the
incessant drone of the most hideous voice you've ever heard - imagine Janet
Street-Porter holding her nose....I can't believe there were choices and
someone at head office decided, 'ah, that's the one'

Why not? If the voice is annoying enough, you will get through the
process faster, making room sooner for someone else to pay them.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tahiri wrote:
It is noticable in my local Tesco that there is often heavy useage of
the staffed 'Basket' checkout, despite all the self service tills being
free.

I tend to use those as a first choice. Actually doing something makes the
time pass faster than waiting while someone else does it. I'm obviously
good at ignoring nagging women. ;-)

--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
It is noticable in my local Tesco that there is often heavy useage of
the staffed 'Basket' checkout, despite all the self service tills
being free.

Obviously good Trade Unionists, who realise that if they use the
self-service tills they are stealing the jobs of other people.

Bit like the mines "I'd rather have no job at all than work there"

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I find B & Q's offers rather surprising. Three times now I've been told
at the till that items have a 3 for 2 offer, and there's been no
indication on the shelves. On Weds (OAP day) I bought six different
items (all vaguely paint related) and got two of them free, then got 10%
off for being old. This meant that I spent £45 less than I thought I was
going to.

In Dec I bought some Christmas tree lights that were marked up at £49,
but at the till they were £33.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 16:42, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

It is just that the voice and the timings on the B&Q checkout are
immensely irritating.

It's Sainsburys who get up my nose. Each and every bottle of wine comes
with an "authorisation needed" message. Surely one would do and much
less loudly. Anyone would think I drink too much.

Another Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/13 16:13, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
As with HomeBase, their days must surely be numbered.

One of the stores I rarely frequented after I discovered proper builders
merchants.

And would not miss one jot.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 17:23, Phil L wrote:
it starts squawking, 'put the item in the
baaag' beep 'put the item in the baaag' beep 'put the item in the baaag' -
there's not a fraction of a second between the beep of the barcode and the
incessant drone of the most hideous voice you've ever heard - imagine Janet
Street-Porter holding her nose....I can't believe there were choices and
someone at head office decided, 'ah, that's the one'

It's deliberate. it's to make you pack faster to make room for the next
customer. It's the same with "eat in" take-away food outlets. The seats
are just about comfortable for 10 minutes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 17:13, whisky-dave wrote:

A checkout girl in sainsbury asked me to use one of those automated tills and I said that's OK I'd rather to stay in this queue and she asked me why, so I said I don;t want to see you loose your job, and a look of shock came over her face.

Some supermarkets in the UK have adopted the policy of any staff member
doing every job from cleaning floors,shelf stacking and on busy times
operating the tills (including managers/supervisors).

The big supermarkets would probably save 10s millions by simply stopping
silly card and voucher schemes at the tills which add 1 minute for every
customer (or on my recent trips to Tesco - 5 minutes per customer)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 19:07, alan wrote:
On 12/04/2013 17:23, Phil L wrote:
it starts squawking, 'put the item in the
baaag' beep 'put the item in the baaag' beep 'put the item in the
baaag' -
there's not a fraction of a second between the beep of the barcode and
the
incessant drone of the most hideous voice you've ever heard - imagine
Janet
Street-Porter holding her nose....I can't believe there were choices and
someone at head office decided, 'ah, that's the one'

It's deliberate. it's to make you pack faster to make room for the next
customer. It's the same with "eat in" take-away food outlets. The seats
are just about comfortable for 10 minutes.

If they want us through faster, handle the tills as quickly as Lidl do.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 19:34, polygonum wrote:
On 12/04/2013 19:07, alan wrote:
On 12/04/2013 17:23, Phil L wrote:
it starts squawking, 'put the item in the
baaag' beep 'put the item in the baaag' beep 'put the item in the
baaag' -
there's not a fraction of a second between the beep of the barcode and
the
incessant drone of the most hideous voice you've ever heard - imagine
Janet
Street-Porter holding her nose....I can't believe there were choices and
someone at head office decided, 'ah, that's the one'

It's deliberate. it's to make you pack faster to make room for the next
customer. It's the same with "eat in" take-away food outlets. The seats
are just about comfortable for 10 minutes.

If they want us through faster, handle the tills as quickly as Lidl do.

That would mean importing more East Europeans to operate them.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 19:46, Nightjar wrote:
On 12/04/2013 19:34, polygonum wrote:
On 12/04/2013 19:07, alan wrote:

Annoying voice at self serve checkout
It's deliberate. it's to make you pack faster to make room for the next
customer. It's the same with "eat in" take-away food outlets. The seats
are just about comfortable for 10 minutes.

If they want us through faster, handle the tills as quickly as Lidl do.

That would mean importing more East Europeans to operate them.

They're all British at our local one. And they're *fast* on the till.
The fastest I've suffered there is one of the managers. He can scan it
faster than I can throw it into the trolley, never mind stacking it.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 12/04/13 16:13, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
As with HomeBase, their days must surely be numbered.

One of the stores I rarely frequented after I discovered proper builders
merchants.

And would not miss one jot.

I discovered builders' merchants before I ever went in B & Q.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Another Dave
writes
On 12/04/2013 16:42, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

It is just that the voice and the timings on the B&Q checkout are
immensely irritating.

It's Sainsburys who get up my nose. Each and every bottle of wine comes
with an "authorisation needed" message. Surely one would do and much
less loudly. Anyone would think I drink too much.

Another Dave

Try wine boxes, earplugs and sunglasses
--
Nick (=----)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 19:07, alan wrote:

Annoying voice at self serve checkout
It's deliberate. it's to make you pack faster to make room for the next
customer. It's the same with "eat in" take-away food outlets. The seats
are just about comfortable for 10 minutes.

If they want us through faster, handle the tills as quickly as Lidl do.

That would mean importing more East Europeans to operate them.

They're all British at our local one. And they're *fast* on the till.
The fastest I've suffered there is one of the managers. He can scan it
faster than I can throw it into the trolley, never mind stacking it.

That's a 'me too' for our local Aldi. All British and shifting things
off the conveyor belt faster than we can get them into a trolley. We end
up just sliding them across the desk area and letting them fall into the
trolley.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 19:07, alan wrote:

[...]

You've been watching me for hints, haven't you? :-)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 17:23:16 +0100, Phil L wrote:

David.WE.Roberts wrote:
To be clear, I'm not at all against automated checkouts - when
properly implemented they can be very good and fast.

It is just that the voice and the timings on the B&Q checkout are
immensely irritating.

They can't possibly be more irritating that the ones they have in Morrisons,
as soon as you start scanning, it starts squawking, 'put the item in the
baaag' beep 'put the item in the baaag' beep 'put the item in the baaag' -
there's not a fraction of a second between the beep of the barcode and the
incessant drone of the most hideous voice you've ever heard - imagine Janet
Street-Porter holding her nose....I can't believe there were choices and
someone at head office decided, 'ah, that's the one'

I use Morrisons but I won't use those damned machines. Part of the reason
(other than I hate them) is that I use a rucsack that weighs about 1.5kg -
for some reason the machine nags me, but I'm not using carrier bags except
occasionally. I sometimes walk the last 2 miles home and the rucsack is just
a tad better than 15kg of shopping in placcy bags.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David.WE.Roberts wrote:
[...]

When first installed, they seemed better than JS or Tesco. But they have
deteriorated severely. The lit note accepting slot is no longer lit (on
any of them). The coin accepting trough takes what seems like a minute
for each coin - if it accepts it. The display amount left lags by ages.
Most often half of them are not fully operational - cash only, card
only, or broken. And they seem to be even less well attended than the
others.

I hate them ALL.

The only supermarkets which are regularly acceptable to me are Lidl and
Waitrose (obviously, we do not have branches of every UK supermarket).

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 21:05, Nick wrote:
In message , Another Dave
writes
On 12/04/2013 16:42, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

It is just that the voice and the timings on the B&Q checkout are
immensely irritating.

It's Sainsburys who get up my nose. Each and every bottle of wine
comes with an "authorisation needed" message. Surely one would do and
much less loudly. Anyone would think I drink too much.

Another Dave

Try wine boxes, earplugs and sunglasses

try a cash and carry and buy a crate ;-)

DAMHIK

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 12/04/13 16:13, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I daren't go into B&Q if I am feeling at all out of sorts.

I know I will end up in trouble.

They don't person the row of tills any more, just have one attendant on
the four station automated checkout.

So you have to use the damn thing.

It is voiced by some kind of neurotic harpy with the vindictive timing so
that just as you are lifting the next item out of your trolley, she whines
about you putting the next item through the till.

After a few items I fell like continually shouting

"Shut the **** up!!!!!!!!"

I agree. I gave up on B&Q shortly after they introduced the automated
check-out.
I don't miss them. I am in central London and the nearest B&Q is at Park
Royal, if I can be bothered to go that far its only another quarter mile
to Wickes, and I have three branches of Leyland SDM within walking
distance.

The local Waitrose has introduced some automated checkouts, last time I
was invited to use one I told them, if I wanted that sort of service I
would be shopping at Tesco.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman writes:

They must be struggling;

Landlord deal saves B&Q's Athlone store

B&Q Ireland's Athlone store has been given a reprieve after the company
managed to negotiate a better rent deal with its landlord.

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=16516

All of B&Q in Ireland (6 stores, IIRC) is in serious trouble,
but it's a separate company.

I've been to Athlone many times (I have a customer there),
but I hadn't noticed there was a B&Q there.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 22:21, djc wrote:

The local Waitrose has introduced some automated checkouts, last time I
was invited to use one I told them, if I wanted that sort of service I
would be shopping at Tesco.

I think it would sound better if you said "Asda", provided it doesn't
stick in your throat. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 21:38:56 +0100, PeterC wrote:

I use Morrisons but I won't use those damned machines. Part of the
reason (other than I hate them) is that I use a rucsack that weighs
about 1.5kg - for some reason the machine nags me,

Isn't the first question it asks "Are you using your own bags?"

I don't like the automated checkouts either so don't use 'em muchbut
fairly sure that is what the Tesco ones ask. Works for me but then I'm
not usinga 1.5 kg rucsack...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

djc :
The local Waitrose has introduced some automated checkouts, last time I
was invited to use one I told them, if I wanted that sort of service I
would be shopping at Tesco.

My response was similar when they started asking me whether I wanted one
of their "loyalty" cards.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 22:24:34 +0100, polygonum wrote:

The local Waitrose has introduced some automated checkouts, last time
I was invited to use one I told them, if I wanted that sort of service
I would be shopping at Tesco.

I think it would sound better if you said "Asda", ...

Or Morrisons.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 16:54, Bill wrote:
In message , Nightjar
writes
Reducing staffing by one person in every store for every hour they are
open, assuming adult minimum wage, will save them around £10 million a
year.

Saved me a bit of cash, too.

Last time I took SWMBO there for her to look at the potted plants or
something, I picked up a bag of stainless bolts thinking they would do
for the electric winch. Got to the checkout to find no staff, just a
machine. They must have had to carry the bolts back to the shelf, and I
came home and bought them for 25% of the price off ebay.

I can do far better than that -

B&Q: "Self Tapping Screw AVF-860119 Pack Of 25 (W)3.5mm x (L)12mm" £5.68

Local hardware shop 32 of the same screws, 23 pence!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Don't know about that, not noticed there being nobody on ours, though its
usually a young Asian who has no reall interest in doing the job.
I wonder if they will be automating their security so that robot guards
come and grab you if you try to leave without paying?

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2013 00:48, SteveW wrote:
On 12/04/2013 16:54, Bill wrote:
In message , Nightjar
writes
Reducing staffing by one person in every store for every hour they are
open, assuming adult minimum wage, will save them around £10 million a
year.

Saved me a bit of cash, too.

Last time I took SWMBO there for her to look at the potted plants or
something, I picked up a bag of stainless bolts thinking they would do
for the electric winch. Got to the checkout to find no staff, just a
machine. They must have had to carry the bolts back to the shelf, and I
came home and bought them for 25% of the price off ebay.

I can do far better than that -

B&Q: "Self Tapping Screw AVF-860119 Pack Of 25 (W)3.5mm x (L)12mm" £5.68

Local hardware shop 32 of the same screws, 23 pence!

SteveW

B&Q mortice latch £5.47, Toolsatan £0.70!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 23:00, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 22:24:34 +0100, polygonum wrote:

The local Waitrose has introduced some automated checkouts, last time
I was invited to use one I told them, if I wanted that sort of service
I would be shopping at Tesco.

I think it would sound better if you said "Asda", ...

Or Morrisons.

IMHO Morrisons are much better than poncy, over priced, nancy boy Waitrose.

Waitrose is full of Malcolm & Cressida Wright-Prat types.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Page wrote:

It must be equally difficult if
buying something too large or heavy to fit on the scale.

You scan with the hand-held device, and it tells you to leave it
on the trolley.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK