Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT-ish B&Q automated checkout

On 16/04/2013 09:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 07:29:14 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

The greatest lack of comparative pricing is with fresh fruit and
veg. The pre-packs are generally priced per package, no weight
specified, ...

Varies, prepack apples probably won't have a weight but will have a size
range and a quantity, most people buy apples by the size and number
rather than weight. Prepack Green beans, carrots, parsnip etc etc are
weight marked.

Back when Sainsbury's used to have scales that allowed you to
print a price label for bags of loose items,

I think there is a legal requirement for there to be scales available for
use where ever there is anything loose sold by weight. Might not be a
label printing device and there may only be one which you have to hunt
for. Try looking in the fruit and veg section where everything is
pre-packed and as far from any loose stuff as possible.

Having scales at the checkout meets the legal requirements.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 16, 12:43*am, Nightjar
wrote:

Avoid queues with
mothers with kids, oaps, fat people, alcoholics.

You won't be behind me then.

On how many counts? :-)

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, April 15, 2013 7:45:47 PM UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 15/04/2013 15:31, Jethro_uk wrote:

There's definitely some slightly less-than-obvious issues at play with

supermarket queues. My wife tends to plump for checkouts which look like

there's not too much on the belt. Myself, I would rather wait a second

for a crowded belt to become free with only one customer in front, than

have half an empty belt with 3 customers in front. That's because in my

experience, the overhead of queueing is predicated far more on number of

customers than number of items.

I also avoid queuing behind any single older ladies

I go for the checkout operators I know to be efficient.

I've noticed most people do, so the lines for the efficient ones are noticible when comparing to the newbee or the slow one. You now iof to work out which will be faster the slow person serving two or the fast person serving five, and then you end up in the wrong queue anyway !!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:48:30 AM UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 16/04/2013 07:29, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I was right that you never do the shopping. Pretty well all supermarkets

display a price per gram or whatever to allow you to compare actual cost.

The greatest lack of comparative pricing is with fresh fruit and

veg. The pre-packs are generally priced per package, no weight

specified, whilst the loose ones are priced per kg. Usually (but,

crucially, not always) the pre-packs are significantly more

expensive...

I am surprised that people ever have to buy fruit and veg in a

supermarket.

I pretty much do, because either being at work or traveling to and from work between 8am and 6:30pm, there's little but supernarkets open other than the smaller local shops who's produce looks pretty dodgey.

I have a choice of three greengrocers, a fourth who turns

up at three different local markets and a farm shop that, perversely,

usually offers the best value for money.

What are there opening times ?

The last also has the

entertainment value of a small dog that likes to eat raw potatoes.

Now that does make it worth while.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 01:42:26 +0100, Frank Erskine
wrote:

I try to spread my purchases along the conveyor to make it easy for
the operator to pick up the items for processing, to the chagrin of
people behind me who are determined to get their goods on to the belt
ASAP.

I also place the items on the conveyor in the order I want to pack them.

Bottles and heavy stuff first, light easily damaged stuff last, I try and
segregate items destined for the fridge, frozen stuff and fresh stuff to avoid
it getting frosted. Pasta in a separate bag, biscuits and chocolate together,
any glass bottles always go in either a wine carrier or a proper bag,

But I try and avoid shopping completely as it drives me nuts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2013 11:30, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:48:30 AM UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:

I am surprised that people ever have to buy fruit and veg in a
supermarket.

I pretty much do, because either being at work or traveling to and from work between 8am and 6:30pm, there's little but supernarkets open other than the smaller local shops who's produce looks pretty dodgey.

I have a choice of three greengrocers, a fourth who turns
up at three different local markets and a farm shop that, perversely,
usually offers the best value for money.

What are there opening times ?

Not something I have ever needed to find out, although two of the
greengrocers and the farm shop are open on Sundays.

The last also has the
entertainment value of a small dog that likes to eat raw potatoes.

Now that does make it worth while.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 11:53:18 GMT, Jethro_uk wrote:

I also place the items on the conveyor in the order I want to pack
them.

+1

Heavy to light within the broad groups of bread, dry, fridge/frozen,
fruit 'n veg.

I know it's "all for a good cause" (is it ?) but my heart sinks when I
see these charity packers at the tills.

+1

I don't let 'em pack. I do not like being "blackmailed" into giving to
any charity.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 09:37:41 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

I think there is a legal requirement for there to be scales available
for use where ever there is anything loose sold by weight.

Having scales at the checkout meets the legal requirements.

Maybe I should have added the word "customer" between "for" and "use".
Those at the checkout are not "for customer use" and how do you weigh out
your required 1lb 8oz of carrots using a checkout scale?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I try to spread my purchases along the conveyor to make it easy for the
operator to pick up the items for processing, to the chagrin of people
behind me who are determined to get their goods on to the belt ASAP.

I also place the items on the conveyor in the order I want to pack them.

Bottles and heavy stuff first, light easily damaged stuff last, I try
and segregate items destined for the fridge, frozen stuff and fresh
stuff to avoid it getting frosted. Pasta in a separate bag, biscuits
and chocolate together, any glass bottles always go in either a wine
carrier or a proper bag,

But I try and avoid shopping completely as it drives me nuts

This of course presupposes that you will be the one packing

I know it's "all for a good cause" (is it ?) but my heart sinks when I
see these charity packers at the tills. Last few times I have said to the
volunteers that I will give them money *not* to pack my bags.

I don't let 'em touch my stuff. The rucsack on the conveyor is higher than
most people and I want the hard, heavy stuff at the bottom. Not yet that
crumbly that I need help.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 12:41:44 PM UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 16/04/2013 11:30, whisky-dave wrote:

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:48:30 AM UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:

I am surprised that people ever have to buy fruit and veg in a

supermarket.

I pretty much do, because either being at work or traveling to and from work between 8am and 6:30pm, there's little but supernarkets open other than the smaller local shops who's produce looks pretty dodgey.

I have a choice of three greengrocers, a fourth who turns

up at three different local markets and a farm shop that, perversely,

usually offers the best value for money.

What are there opening times ?

Not something I have ever needed to find out, although two of the

greengrocers and the farm shop are open on Sundays.

My closest market is open from 8am-5pm, closed sundays.
Theere are plenty of greengrocers that are open later but what they sell never looks very appealing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2013 13:45, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 09:37:41 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

I think there is a legal requirement for there to be scales available
for use where ever there is anything loose sold by weight.

Having scales at the checkout meets the legal requirements.

Maybe I should have added the word "customer" between "for" and "use".
Those at the checkout are not "for customer use" and how do you weigh out
your required 1lb 8oz of carrots using a checkout scale?

This was discussed recently on one of the legal newsgroups and the
conclusion was that the scales at the checkout meet the legal
requirements, even if that is not necessarily what the customer wants or
needs.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 09:37:41 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

I think there is a legal requirement for there to be scales available
for use where ever there is anything loose sold by weight.

Having scales at the checkout meets the legal requirements.

Maybe I should have added the word "customer" between "for" and "use".
Those at the checkout are not "for customer use" and how do you weigh
out your required 1lb 8oz of carrots using a checkout scale?

I suppose I can see the need for customer scales to allow you to compare
cost between loose and wrapped - but does anyone actually weigh out what
they need when it's self service? It would be rather like putting an exact
number of litres in the car tank.

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
I know it's "all for a good cause" (is it ?) but my heart sinks when I
see these charity packers at the tills. Last few times I have said to
the volunteers that I will give them money *not* to pack my bags.

I don't let 'em touch my stuff. The rucsack on the conveyor is higher
than most people and I want the hard, heavy stuff at the bottom. Not yet
that crumbly that I need help.

I generally just put everything back in the trolley, and pack up at the
car. Wish everyone did.

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

My wife tends to plump for checkouts which look like there's not too much
on the belt.

I think it depends on how much stuff you're intending to buy (and if you're
on your own). I'd quite often pick a belt that is quite full, because while
the stuff on it is being dealt with there'd be time for me to get all of the
stuff from my trolley onto the belt, get the trolley ready at the other end,
find bags etc, and be ready to start packing stuff away again. And if
there's a few seconds in which to pause, so much the better.

What makes it really fun is having an elderly rellie there as well - two
trollies to unpack & re-pack while trying not to hold up the queue too much
nor dissolve into a pool of sweat...

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 15:03:43 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 09:37:41 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

I think there is a legal requirement for there to be scales available
for use where ever there is anything loose sold by weight.

Having scales at the checkout meets the legal requirements.

Maybe I should have added the word "customer" between "for" and "use".
Those at the checkout are not "for customer use" and how do you weigh
out your required 1lb 8oz of carrots using a checkout scale?

I suppose I can see the need for customer scales to allow you to compare
cost between loose and wrapped - but does anyone actually weigh out what
they need when it's self service? It would be rather like putting an exact
number of litres in the car tank.

Some pumps (either Tesco or Asda?) let you do that and also offer a monetary
limit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-04-16, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
PeterC wrote:
I know it's "all for a good cause" (is it ?) but my heart sinks when I
see these charity packers at the tills. Last few times I have said to
the volunteers that I will give them money *not* to pack my bags.

I don't let 'em touch my stuff. The rucsack on the conveyor is higher
than most people and I want the hard, heavy stuff at the bottom. Not yet
that crumbly that I need help.

I generally just put everything back in the trolley, and pack up at the
car. Wish everyone did.

Prolly not much fun when it's raining, unless the car park is
covered - but other than that, not a bad idea.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:04:54 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

PeterC wrote:

I know it's "all for a good cause" (is it ?) but my heart sinks when I

see these charity packers at the tills. Last few times I have said to

the volunteers that I will give them money *not* to pack my bags.

I don't let 'em touch my stuff. The rucsack on the conveyor is higher

than most people and I want the hard, heavy stuff at the bottom. Not yet

that crumbly that I need help.

I generally just put everything back in the trolley, and pack up at the

car. Wish everyone did.

Not everyone has a car, some of us have to stand at the bus stop in the rain.
So making sure the items are well packed is important. Also try carrying those bags and using your oystercard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I suppose I can see the need for customer scales to allow you to compare
cost between loose and wrapped - but does anyone actually weigh out what
they need when it's self service? It would be rather like putting an exact
number of litres in the car tank.

It is by no means unusual for me to use the checking (indication
only) scales in order to ensure that, for instance, if I know a
recipe works well with 700 g of courgettes, and the same of
butternut squash, then I select accordingly.

Saving money starts by not buying more than will be used whilst
still fresh.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

I think it depends on how much stuff you're intending to buy (and if you're
on your own). I'd quite often pick a belt that is quite full, because while
the stuff on it is being dealt with there'd be time for me to get all of the
stuff from my trolley onto the belt, get the trolley ready at the other end,
find bags etc, and be ready to start packing stuff away again. And if
there's a few seconds in which to pause, so much the better.

I'm glad it's not just me then ;-)

I'm also much more comfortable loading onto a belt on the left -
for some reason it never goes as smoothly on the right.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/13 15:47, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 15:04:54 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
I know it's "all for a good cause" (is it ?) but my heart sinks when
I see these charity packers at the tills. Last few times I have said
to the volunteers that I will give them money *not* to pack my bags.
I don't let 'em touch my stuff. The rucsack on the conveyor is higher
than most people and I want the hard, heavy stuff at the bottom. Not
yet that crumbly that I need help.

I generally just put everything back in the trolley, and pack up at the
car. Wish everyone did.

That must rate as one of the most ****ing obvious solutions ever. I'll
try it this weekend, but already I can seem myself in 2040 saying "why
did I even wait so long to do this ..."

Are you a messiah ?

frankly, I am not convinced that the easiest thing isn't just to
randomly bung the stuff in bags and sort it just ONCE when you get home.

Or, sort it by weight and crushability (EggsonTop principle) for transit
only.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 15:03:43 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I suppose I can see the need for customer scales to allow you to
compare cost between loose and wrapped - but does anyone actually weigh
out what they need when it's self service?

Depends. I know how many and of what rough size we get through between
shopping trips and how many we have and just buy the requiste number. If
I've been asked for a 1lb of carrots I *have* to weigh them as I haven't
a clue how much carrot there is to the lb.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
I know it's "all for a good cause" (is it ?) but my heart sinks when I
see these charity packers at the tills. Last few times I have said to
the volunteers that I will give them money *not* to pack my bags.

I don't let 'em touch my stuff. The rucsack on the conveyor is higher
than most people and I want the hard, heavy stuff at the bottom. Not yet
that crumbly that I need help.

I generally just put everything back in the trolley, and pack up at the
car. Wish everyone did.

I don't have a trolley for several reasons:
a basket gives me a good idea of the volume - when it's full, that's about
the limit for rucsack/panniers without squashing things
I hate trolleys for relatively small amounts - those old dears parked
diagonally...!
With luck, I can get off the bus, cross 2 roads and the car park, do the
week's shopping, out through the till and back to catch the same bus going
out - about 18 mins. the lot.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 16/04/13 01:42, Frank Erskine wrote:

I try to spread my purchases along the conveyor to make it easy for
the operator to pick up the items for processing, to the chagrin of
people behind me who are determined to get their goods on to the belt
ASAP.

I like to arrange things on the belt so it can be packed in the right
order at the other end

Then of course you get the person in front of you who starts chatting
to the till operator about the weather or some argument about special
offers.

Students/tourists trying to pay with unknown cards.
People who want a stamp for the car park ticket.

Beware people in front of you buying clothing items - there's ALWAYS
discussion about these, as well as loads of time scanning and folding
them, to go into numerous oran^H^H^H^H carrier bags

The little old lady isn't normally a problem, they don't buy much and
generally pay by cash. They have been shopping for donkeys years and they
know the drill, more to the point I will be slow one day, possibly not
that far off.

I'm sure I am a bit older than the norm, but like to think that I try
a bit harder than some much younger people.

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2013 13:57, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

There are no greengrocers left in our area, however there is an
extremely good butcher who also sells fruit and veg. Unfortunately I
work five days a week and take the kids to swimming lessons an a
Saturday morning. As the butcher's closes at lunchtime, I only have
around half an hour to make it and frequently I have other things going
on on a Saturday.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2013 11:19, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

You've missed the bit where the person in front of you is paying with
lots of vouchers and has at least one item with an unreadable barcode
and another item that they disagree about the shelf price of!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2013 23:49, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 05:45:53 -0700 (PDT), Man at B&Q wrote:

The *real* problem *by far* is the dippy women (it's *always* women)
who are only half finished packing and look surprised when asked for
payment and then slowly finish packing before spending another 5
minutes fumbling in a handbag, stuffed to the gunnels with gawd knows
what, trying to find their purse.

Then, as these are normally reasonably "well to do" types, spend another
5 minutes trying to find the right credit card to use in equally crammed
to gunnels purse, oh don't forget the loyalty card, but they always do.
This is, of course, after having stood either in the queue waiting for
the belt to have a bit of clear space or next to empty trolly/full belt
*doing nothing*. WTF can't the dippy ****s get their cards sorted out
then?

There's a simple reason for that. I've found that getting my cards out
before packing the shopping simply means that by the time I've packed
the shopping, I've got to search through my pockets to find where I put
them instead of my wallet and then they're often unnoticeable or
inaccessible amongst the keys, cash, company pass, wallet, receipts,
phone, etc. I am however pretty quick at getting my wallet and cards out
when required!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 22:23:11 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

I hate trolleys for relatively small amounts - those old dears parked
diagonally...!

Not _only_ old dears park trolleys diagonally across the aisle whilst
they chat or go somewhere else altogether. It's sometimes tempting to
drop extra items (such as a tube of K-Y) into an unaccompanied trolley
just for fun...

Another annoying trait is to carry youngsters around in the main
(non-child) part of the trolley. Dirt from the kid (mainly its shoes)
is deposited into the trolley and hence on to, say, bags of frozen
food, which is transferred into freezers and is very likely to
contaminate the food whilst being prepared for cooking.
A lot of the aforesaid youngsters are quite old enough to walk around
the store anyway (if they really have to be there at all).

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Depends. I know how many and of what rough size we get through between
shopping trips and how many we have and just buy the requiste number. If
I've been asked for a 1lb of carrots I *have* to weigh them as I haven't
a clue how much carrot there is to the lb.

Carrots keep pretty well. I just get 'enough'. Same as spuds.

--
*Rehab is for quitters

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
I generally just put everything back in the trolley, and pack up at the
car. Wish everyone did.

I don't have a trolley for several reasons: a basket gives me a good
idea of the volume - when it's full, that's about the limit for
rucsack/panniers without squashing things

Oh indeed. That only referred to a large shop. If it's a small amount I'll
put things direct into the bag I take with me.

I hate trolleys for relatively
small amounts - those old dears parked diagonally...! With luck, I can
get off the bus, cross 2 roads and the car park, do the week's
shopping, out through the till and back to catch the same bus going out
- about 18 mins. the lot.

--
*I was once a millionaire but my mom gave away my baseball cards

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Depends. I know how many and of what rough size we get through between
shopping trips and how many we have and just buy the requiste number. If
I've been asked for a 1lb of carrots I *have* to weigh them as I haven't
a clue how much carrot there is to the lb.

Carrots keep pretty well. I just get 'enough'. Same as spuds.

Fine for carrots (usually) because they tend to be at the cheaper end,
they often keep well (as you said), and many people use them frequently.
Very, very much less acceptable for vegetables which are expensive, have
poor keeping qualities, and may not be used very often. E.g. mushrooms
(treated as if vegetables though we all know they are not!), leaf
vegetables.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I hate trolleys for relatively small amounts - those old dears parked
diagonally...!

Not _only_ old dears park trolleys diagonally across the aisle whilst
they chat or go somewhere else altogether. It's sometimes tempting to
drop extra items (such as a tube of K-Y) into an unaccompanied trolley
just for fun...

Another annoying trait is to carry youngsters around in the main
(non-child) part of the trolley. Dirt from the kid (mainly its shoes)
is deposited into the trolley and hence on to, say, bags of frozen
food, which is transferred into freezers and is very likely to
contaminate the food whilst being prepared for cooking.
A lot of the aforesaid youngsters are quite old enough to walk around
the store anyway (if they really have to be there at all).

Agreed.

Another annoying feature of some supermarkets has been the replacement
of wire baskets with plastic.

I suspect that wire tends to gets wiped clean - and there is nowhere
liquids can get stuck at all. But you often see plastic with sticky
patches all over where various products have exuded over them. They are
spawn of the devil. Or is that is what is all over them?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 16 April 2013 22:23 djc wrote in uk.d-i-y:

People who want a stamp for the car park ticket.

Well, that's the supermarket's own fault.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 08:57:46 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

People who want a stamp for the car park ticket.

Well, that's the supermarket's own fault.

I'm wondering what a car park ticket is. B-) Are they the things that
arrive in the post a week or so after overstaying ones welcome?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
Carrots keep pretty well. I just get 'enough'. Same as spuds.

Fine for carrots (usually) because they tend to be at the cheaper end,
they often keep well (as you said), and many people use them frequently.
Very, very much less acceptable for vegetables which are expensive, have
poor keeping qualities, and may not be used very often. E.g. mushrooms
(treated as if vegetables though we all know they are not!), leaf
vegetables.

But those sort of things are generally sold pre-packed anyway - not loose?

--
*Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
Carrots keep pretty well. I just get 'enough'. Same as spuds.

Fine for carrots (usually) because they tend to be at the cheaper end,
they often keep well (as you said), and many people use them frequently.
Very, very much less acceptable for vegetables which are expensive, have
poor keeping qualities, and may not be used very often. E.g. mushrooms
(treated as if vegetables though we all know they are not!), leaf
vegetables.

But those sort of things are generally sold pre-packed anyway - not loose?

Morrisons upgraded our branch - and have reversed that on a fair number
of vegetables. We have one fair sized installation with veg. all round -
and a water droplet device spraying over them all the time. The veg
there have to be loose in order for that to work.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other Mike put finger to keyboard:

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 15:03:43 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

wrote:

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 09:37:41 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

I think there is a legal requirement for there to be scales
available for use where ever there is anything loose sold by
weight.

Having scales at the checkout meets the legal requirements.

Maybe I should have added the word "customer" between "for" and "use".
Those at the checkout are not "for customer use" and how do you weigh
out your required 1lb 8oz of carrots using a checkout scale?

I suppose I can see the need for customer scales to allow you to compare
cost between loose and wrapped - but does anyone actually weigh out what
they need when it's self service? It would be rather like putting an
exact number of litres in the car tank.

Some pumps (either Tesco or Asda?) let you do that and also offer a
monetary limit.

The monetary limit is especially handy nowadays, the price of petrol is so
high that the pump can jump by 2p... it's annoying to want £40-worth and
the pump jumps from £39.99 to £40.01.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I generally just put everything back in the trolley, and pack up at the
car. Wish everyone did.

Which is made much easier by going into the store with two banana
boxes, one just small enough to fit inside the other. Go around the
store as normal, empty your trolley onto the conveyer and when at the
actual loading/tipping point, simply turf everything into the boxes,
which are in the bottom of the trolley.
Back at your car, lift them out, into the boot, easy. No fecking about
with bags.
I devised this method when I became aware of Lidl's attitude towards
bag-packing at the checkouts; so being an awkward sod I decided to do
it my way and it's just as quick as they want it to be, but more
convenient for me, as it turned out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I generally just put everything back in the trolley, and pack up at the
car. Wish everyone did.

Which is made much easier by going into the store with two banana
boxes, one just small enough to fit inside the other. Go around the
store as normal, empty your trolley onto the conveyer and when at the
actual loading/tipping point, simply turf everything into the boxes,
which are in the bottom of the trolley.
Back at your car, lift them out, into the boot, easy. No fecking about
with bags.
I devised this method when I became aware of Lidl's attitude towards
bag-packing at the checkouts; so being an awkward sod I decided to do
it my way and it's just as quick as they want it to be, but more
convenient for me, as it turned out.

A similar methods is my last GF's: take the panniers of the bike, clip them
inside the trolley, till, load panniers, wheel outside, panniers on bike,
reclaim £1. My panniers aren't so easily clipped (that's why she gave them
to me!), but I have the rucsack open and wallet at the ready before Alice
processes me. Any odd bits I deal with after paying by moving to the side of
the area and finishing loading, then some one else can get through.
I also draw out a loadacash every month so paying is quick.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 19:20:24 +0100, polygonum
wrote:

And sometimes assess who you'd rather stand behind on other grounds.

Jeez; I was queueing behind some smelly bugger a couple of months ago.
Fark, I was trying to not breathe.