Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT-ish B&Q automated checkout

On 12/04/2013 23:00, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 22:24:34 +0100, polygonum wrote:

The local Waitrose has introduced some automated checkouts, last time
I was invited to use one I told them, if I wanted that sort of service
I would be shopping at Tesco.

I think it would sound better if you said "Asda", ...

Or Morrisons.

IMHO Morrisons are much better than poncy, over priced, nancy boy Waitrose.

Waitrose is full of Malcolm & Cressida Wright-Prat types.

Morrisons seem to have gone on a roller coaster since the arrived here
(taking over the Safeway). Better in lots of ways - followed by
deterioration. Repeat.

Most recently they have changed all the fruit and veg section and have
fancy misting systems, etc. Trouble is, their stock management seems to
have been entirely missed and simply fail to have what I want!

Waitrose is a mixed bag - some things good, some no better than anywhere
else, and often (but not always) more expensive than anywhere else when
the item is not sold by Tesco!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 09:05:19 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I told them, if I wanted that sort of service I would be shopping at
Tesco.

I think it would sound better if you said "Asda", ...

Or Morrisons.

IMHO Morrisons are much better than poncy, over priced, nancy boy
Waitrose.

Waitrose is full of Malcolm & Cressida Wright-Prat types.

True enough but Morrisons is full doddery old biddies treating the place
as a Darby & Joan Club chatting just next to those stupid promotional
baskets the store insists on placing down the middle of the aisles.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
True enough but Morrisons is full doddery old biddies treating the place
as a Darby & Joan Club chatting just next to those stupid promotional
baskets the store insists on placing down the middle of the aisles.

Just had yet another 'WTF do they do this' moment at the local Sainsburys.
They've put cardboard adverts round all the card readers/keyboards so you
can't steady the always loose one with one hand. Add that to the fact that
they seem to be positioned for persons of restricted growth makes me want
to use cash again. And just why to they have to be so small? ATMs seem to
find the space for sensible sized keys and screen.

--
*You can't have everything, where would you put it?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just had yet another 'WTF do they do this' moment at the local Sainsburys.
They've put cardboard adverts round all the card readers/keyboards so you
can't steady the always loose one with one hand. Add that to the fact that
they seem to be positioned for persons of restricted growth makes me want
to use cash again. And just why to they have to be so small? ATMs seem to
find the space for sensible sized keys and screen.

I like small keyboards on card machines. They allow me to simultaneously
cover the keyboard and enter the PIN all with one hand. Large keyboards
need you to move your hand around, potentially giving away the PIN.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 19:34, polygonum wrote:

If they want us through faster, handle the tills as quickly as Lidl do.

I like the no nonsense approach of Lidl and Aldi.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 19:46, Nightjar wrote:

That would mean importing more East Europeans to operate them.

In the 4 stores local to me all the staff seem to be the hard working
native English.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 18:10:46 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

Landlord deal saves B&Q's Athlone store

B&Q Ireland's Athlone store has been given a reprieve after the company
managed to negotiate a better rent deal with its landlord.

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=16516

Big gripe here is upward-only rent reviews, and recently some of the
larger players have been saying 'no'. The small man with a small unit
doesn't have the financial muscle to tell the landlord to get stuffed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/13 12:46, alan wrote:
On 12/04/2013 19:34, polygonum wrote:

If they want us through faster, handle the tills as quickly as Lidl do.

I like the no nonsense approach of Lidl and Aldi.

its their no quality approach that leaves me cold.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2013 09:05 The Medway Handyman wrote:

Waitrose is full of Malcolm & Cressida Wright-Prat types.

Never full around here, and usually more staff than customers.

Their 'special offers' are often more expensive than 'normal' prices
elsewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2013 12:00, Nightjar wrote:
Just had yet another 'WTF do they do this' moment at the local
Sainsburys.
They've put cardboard adverts round all the card readers/keyboards so you
can't steady the always loose one with one hand. Add that to the fact
that
they seem to be positioned for persons of restricted growth makes me want
to use cash again. And just why to they have to be so small? ATMs seem to
find the space for sensible sized keys and screen.

I like small keyboards on card machines. They allow me to simultaneously
cover the keyboard and enter the PIN all with one hand. Large keyboards
need you to move your hand around, potentially giving away the PIN.

Colin Bignell

Christ, what a way to live eh?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2013 12:46, alan wrote:
On 12/04/2013 19:34, polygonum wrote:

If they want us through faster, handle the tills as quickly as Lidl do.

I like the no nonsense approach of Lidl and Aldi.

+!
I can see it saving me money
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/13 12:46, alan wrote:
On 12/04/2013 19:34, polygonum wrote:

If they want us through faster, handle the tills as quickly as Lidl do.

I like the no nonsense approach of Lidl and Aldi.

its their no quality approach that leaves me cold.

Her indoors is of the opinion that quality is standard across all the
supermarkets, and prices are determined solely by the number of staff
standing about waiting to be helpful. In that respect I think Sainsburys
have too many chiefs and far too many Indians.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/13 15:34, stuart noble wrote:
On 13/04/13 12:46, alan wrote:
On 12/04/2013 19:34, polygonum wrote:

If they want us through faster, handle the tills as quickly as Lidl
do.

I like the no nonsense approach of Lidl and Aldi.

its their no quality approach that leaves me cold.

Her indoors is of the opinion that quality is standard across all the
supermarkets, and prices are determined solely by the number of staff
standing about waiting to be helpful. In that respect I think
Sainsburys have too many chiefs and far too many Indians.

her indoors had to be told that yes, at Waitrose the price per
gram/100g/kilogram/sheet of bog paper is displayed below every item so
you can easily see that 'green' washing up liquid is 3 times as
expensive as green washing up liquid..so I wouln't trust her judgement
on anything.

"Oh look she said "They do instant coffee in bags to refill your jar"
"yes, but its more expensive than in the jar"...sigh.

And she still thinks that 30% off £4 is a bargain, whereas paying £2 is not.

I walked round LIDL and ALDI looking at basic stuff. It was all more
expensive than waitrose.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan wrote:
On 12/04/2013 19:34, polygonum wrote:

If they want us through faster, handle the tills as quickly as Lidl do.

I like the no nonsense approach of Lidl and Aldi.

Their checkouts are generally quicker - but usually not so many in use -
and everyone seems to have a trolley full to the gunnels.

--
*I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I like the no nonsense approach of Lidl and Aldi.

its their no quality approach that leaves me cold.

All that says is you never do the shopping. Or stick to Harrods.

--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
her indoors had to be told that yes, at Waitrose the price per
gram/100g/kilogram/sheet of bog paper is displayed below every item so
you can easily see that 'green' washing up liquid is 3 times as
expensive as green washing up liquid..so I wouln't trust her judgement
on anything.

I was right that you never do the shopping. Pretty well all supermarkets
display a price per gram or whatever to allow you to compare actual cost.

--
Small asylum seeker wanted as mud flap, must be flexible and willing to travel

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 17:13:44 +0100, Nightjar
wrote:

Obviously good Trade Unionists, who realise that if they use the
self-service tills they are stealing the jobs of other people.

Colin Bignell

If I'm expected to do the cashiers work for them, I would expect some
sort of discount.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I like the no nonsense approach of Lidl and Aldi.

its their no quality approach that leaves me cold.

All that says is you never do the shopping. Or stick to Harrods.

Well actually no. I hsavbe visited both once. Checing the prices I knew
I could get elsewhere. They had rubbish products that were not cheap.

Perhaps they are cheaper than Tescos, but I don't shop there either.

I do the shopping regularly - at least 50% of it.,

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
her indoors had to be told that yes, at Waitrose the price per
gram/100g/kilogram/sheet of bog paper is displayed below every item so
you can easily see that 'green' washing up liquid is 3 times as
expensive as green washing up liquid..so I wouln't trust her judgement
on anything.

I was right that you never do the shopping. Pretty well all supermarkets
display a price per gram or whatever to allow you to compare actual cost.

what is that supposed to mean? I merely pointed out that despite years
of shopping my wife was unaware of that fact.

You really are an unpleasant fellow, changing the argument to suit your
politics all the time, and never actually responding to the points made.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
its their no quality approach that leaves me cold.

All that says is you never do the shopping. Or stick to Harrods.

Well actually no. I hsavbe visited both once. Checing the prices I knew
I could get elsewhere. They had rubbish products that were not cheap

You must have a very different Lidl to the one I use. And if you've only
visited them once, how can you possibly know all their products were
rubbish? And it would have taken ages to compare value for all of them.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
her indoors had to be told that yes, at Waitrose the price per
gram/100g/kilogram/sheet of bog paper is displayed below every item so
you can easily see that 'green' washing up liquid is 3 times as
expensive as green washing up liquid..so I wouln't trust her judgement
on anything.

I was right that you never do the shopping. Pretty well all
supermarkets display a price per gram or whatever to allow you to
compare actual cost.

what is that supposed to mean? I merely pointed out that despite years
of shopping my wife was unaware of that fact.

She probably takes her lead from you.

You really are an unpleasant fellow, changing the argument to suit your
politics all the time, and never actually responding to the points made.

See above.

--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 13 April 2013 15:34 stuart noble wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 13/04/13 12:46, alan wrote:
On 12/04/2013 19:34, polygonum wrote:

If they want us through faster, handle the tills as quickly as Lidl do.

I like the no nonsense approach of Lidl and Aldi.

its their no quality approach that leaves me cold.

Her indoors is of the opinion that quality is standard across all the
supermarkets, and prices are determined solely by the number of staff
standing about waiting to be helpful. In that respect I think Sainsburys
have too many chiefs and far too many Indians.

I can categorically say that quality is *not* the same.

Sainsburies online shopping used to leave us with a lot of fresh produce
that had 1-3 days of firdge life left. Some of those fruit and veg could
barely last that long before going weird.

Similar with Tescos, from my them local store (where I get to pick the
longest dates).

Waitrose (via Ocado) give me 2-7 days of fridge life and *most*[1] of the
products are fresh and nice within that life and often for a few days more.

[1] Watermelons and strawberries are still rather variable.

I quite like Morrisons but they don't AFAICS do home delivery, and I lost
interest in trudging round supermarkets years ago.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/13 12:46, alan wrote:
[...]

I did email Ocado that I wished they would have a "sortby" price/unit
(including taking into account the special offers).

They did not implement it...

I agree - some offers are actually very good - yes, I will buy 3 months of
washing liquid or dishwasher powder if it is really the cheapest per wash.

However, if it means buying 3 lots of fruit that will die before anyone east
it, it's a waste.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2013 09:21, polygonum wrote:
On 12/04/2013 23:00, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 22:24:34 +0100, polygonum wrote:

The local Waitrose has introduced some automated checkouts, last time
I was invited to use one I told them, if I wanted that sort of service
I would be shopping at Tesco.

I think it would sound better if you said "Asda", ...

Or Morrisons.

IMHO Morrisons are much better than poncy, over priced, nancy boy
Waitrose.

Waitrose is full of Malcolm & Cressida Wright-Prat types.

Morrisons seem to have gone on a roller coaster since the arrived here
(taking over the Safeway). Better in lots of ways - followed by
deterioration. Repeat.

Reasons Morrisons is the best;

Salad bar, build your own Pizza, great deli, huge selection of wine &
beer, great breakfast in the cafe, they sell Cheeselets, brill in store
bakery, great pies & stuff, excellent meat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 15:40:22 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

"Oh look she said "They do instant coffee in bags to refill your jar"
"yes, but its more expensive than in the jar"...sigh.

And she still thinks that 30% off £4 is a bargain, whereas paying £2
is not.

The supermarkets must love her. I do all the shopping you really do have
to watch the "offers" and compare the value of £1.70 for 120g or 2 for
£3.00, against £3.50 for 300g. I'm sure they pick the numbers to make the
maths hard to do in your head...

And it's not unknown for the same product to be in the chilled section
and the froozen section at considerably different prices, which the
offers can swing one way or the other...

I walked round LIDL and ALDI looking at basic stuff. It was all more
expensive than waitrose.

I can't say I've noticed a any great difference in price between the Aldi
and Tesco in Hexham. They are bang slap next to each other so you'd
expect the pricing to be competative in the Aldi.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2013 20:04, John Williamson wrote:
On 12/04/2013 19:46, Nightjar wrote:
On 12/04/2013 19:34, polygonum wrote:
On 12/04/2013 19:07, alan wrote:

Annoying voice at self serve checkout
It's deliberate. it's to make you pack faster to make room for the next
customer. It's the same with "eat in" take-away food outlets. The seats
are just about comfortable for 10 minutes.

If they want us through faster, handle the tills as quickly as Lidl do.

That would mean importing more East Europeans to operate them.

They're all British at our local one. And they're *fast* on the till.
The fastest I've suffered there is one of the managers. He can scan it
faster than I can throw it into the trolley, never mind stacking it.

To be fair, some of them may be Portuguese. There is a colony of them in
the area and the phonetics of Portuguese sounds much like some of the
East European languages to me.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:40:47 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

I agree - some offers are actually very good - yes, I will buy 3 months
of washing liquid or dishwasher powder if it is really the cheapest per
wash.

Washing up liquid I only buy when the Co-op has it on offer. I'll then
buy one everytime I go in for the duration of the offer, so that's about
3/week. We then have enough stock to last until the next offer. B-)
IIRC the normal price is £1.80 the offer is normally £1.

Same with the cat food buy only on offer or I'll buy two instead of one
jar of coffee when it's on offer etc.

Some stuff is bought from Costco at silly prices:

Geetas Premium Mango Chutney £3.99 for 1.5 kg.
Sunmaid Raisens £6.29 for 2 kg.
Basmati Rice £17.99 for 20 kg.
Decent quality dried pasta various £4.69 for 3 kg.
Decent quality dried spaghetti 4.99 for 3 kg.
Kikoman Soy Sauce £5.59 for 1.9 l.

However, if it means buying 3 lots of fruit that will die before anyone
east it, it's a waste.

True enough, perishables are bought as required in quantities that will
be consumed before they have gone too far.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2013 17:51 The Medway Handyman wrote:

Reasons Morrisons is the best;

You're not wrong: started up just a few miles away and Ken used to
frequent the not-very-posh pub/restaurant just down the road. A very
pleasant and approachable man with no airs and graces.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2013 00:48, SteveW wrote:

B&Q mortice latch £5.47, Toolsatan £0.70!

The key thing here is B&Q provide the convenience of having the items
you need in one place (typically) .... sell some loss leaders and people
assume they are cheap - usually not the case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/13 12:46, alan wrote:
[...]

I have often pondered whether some of the offers are what they seem. A
classic is something like washing-up liquid with 750 ml for the price of
500 ml. But is it really the same? Or is it watered down 500 ml WUL in a
larger bottle?

I have no idea about industry standards, etc., but I somehow doubt
anyone would be sure.

(And the way shops mix up price per 100 ml, per litre, per 500 g, etc.
Comparisons may be possible, but why keep changing the units? Definitely
not to our benefit.)

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 19:14:08 +0100, polygonum wrote:

(And the way shops mix up price per 100 ml, per litre, per 500 g, etc.
Comparisons may be possible, but why keep changing the units?
Definitely not to our benefit.)

At least those are normally 1l/100ml, 1kg/100g, it's easy to shift the
decimal place in your head, unlike working out the 2fer example I posted
earlier.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2013 19:54, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 19:14:08 +0100, polygonum wrote:

(And the way shops mix up price per 100 ml, per litre, per 500 g, etc.
Comparisons may be possible, but why keep changing the units?
Definitely not to our benefit.)

At least those are normally 1l/100ml, 1kg/100g, it's easy to shift the
decimal place in your head, unlike working out the 2fer example I posted
earlier.

It is not when the units are differently dimensioned unless you are in a
position to estimate that, say, washing-up liquid is probably mostly
water so is likely to have a density very close to 1 ml = 1 g. Not true
for everything.

Though I do accept your confusing offers issues.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 12/04/2013 23:00, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 22:24:34 +0100, polygonum wrote:

The local Waitrose has introduced some automated checkouts, last time
I was invited to use one I told them, if I wanted that sort of service
I would be shopping at Tesco.

I think it would sound better if you said "Asda", ...

Or Morrisons.

The choice round here is Waitrose or Tesco.
There is a Sainsbury on Tootenham Ct Rd; it was previously Budgens, it
has not improved.
There is also an M&S, after they intoduced the self service tills, AND
expected payment for bags that I stopped using them.
A Morrisons is due to open in New Oxford Street, replacing the bust
Jessops, I doubt I'll use it.

IMHO Morrisons are much better than poncy, over priced, nancy boy Waitrose.

Waitrose is full of Malcolm & Cressida Wright-Prat types.

Not in Bloomsbury unfortunately. Too many students most of the year.
They don't seem capable of shopping unless there are at least three: one
to hold the basket, one to pick stuff off shelves, and the rest to just
get in the way.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Salad bar not very appealing to me.
The only pizza worth heating the oven for is my own home-made!
Deli has some very good products - with care.
Alcohol is OK.
Breakfast - don't know.
Cheeselets?
ISB is better than some - especially JS. Their spelt and so on are
better than a lot.
Pies - don't know.
Meat - def. better than Asda!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 14:51:04 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

I like the no nonsense approach of Lidl and Aldi.

its their no quality approach that leaves me cold.

Once again, you prove yourself to be full of ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I like the no nonsense approach of Lidl and Aldi.

its their no quality approach that leaves me cold.

Once again, you prove yourself to be full of ****.

I rather think you have just done that to yourself actually.

Or perhaps to you 'better than Tesco' is 'quality'

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2013 21:04, polygonum wrote:
[...]

Very hard to get hold of...

ISB is better than some - especially JS. Their spelt and so on are
better than a lot.
Pies - don't know.
Meat - def. better than Asda!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
On 13/04/2013 00:48, SteveW wrote:

B&Q mortice latch £5.47, Toolsatan £0.70!

The key thing here is B&Q provide the convenience of having the items
you need in one place (typically) .... sell some loss leaders and people
assume they are cheap - usually not the case.

How is that any different from Toolstation?

--
*If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Cap wrote:
On 12/04/13 16:13, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I daren't go into B&Q if I am feeling at all out of sorts.

I know I will end up in trouble.

They don't person the row of tills any more, just have one attendant on
the four station automated checkout.

So you have to use the damn thing.

I went into Marks early one day last week and having filled my
mini-trolley, found a queue at the DIY tills "Because the manager has
decided not to open the checkouts." I guess until 9:00AM ! On getting
home I emailed Customer Services and told them it was ridiculous and I
wouldn't be going back unless they had a checkout available. Within 15
minutes I had a reply saying that the local management team had been
contacted and thanks for letting them know. I actually haven't been into
B&Q since they were introduced. As a *choice* they are fine and with a
few items I will use them but if enough people complained and voted with
their feet perhaps they would at least maintain the option.
It should be about what the customer wants, though I can see them
eventually adding a surcharge for use of a checkout!

Andy C

I refuse to use them. Last time I went to a B&Q I was forced to use them,
so went home and complained to the CEO, and ended up with a £50 voucher and
an apology for not having a proper till open.

Everyone should complain about them!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, April 15, 2013 11:51:49 AM UTC+1, Simon Finnigan wrote:
Andy Cap wrote:

[...]

Never mind B&Q its the bloody talking lifts I cant stand,

Doors Closing
First Floor
Doors Opening etc.etc.

Some day I'll bring a can of expanding foam with me Spray that into the speaker grille should sort it out P.D.Q.