Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT-ish B&Q automated checkout

On Friday, April 12, 2013 4:48:27 PM UTC+1, Tahiri wrote:
They don't person the row of tills any more, just have one attendant on

the four station automated checkout.

So you have to use the damn thing.

I went into Marks early one day last week and having filled my

mini-trolley, found a queue at the DIY tills "Because the manager has

decided not to open the checkouts." I guess until 9:00AM ! On getting home

I emailed Customer Services and told them it was ridiculous and I wouldn't

be going back unless they had a checkout available. Within 15 minutes I

had a reply saying that the local management team had been contacted and

thanks for letting them know. I actually haven't been into B&Q since they

were introduced. As a *choice* they are fine and with a few items I will

use them but if enough people complained and voted with their feet perhaps

they would at least maintain the option.

It should be about what the customer wants, though I can see them

eventually adding a surcharge for use of a checkout!

Andy C

It is noticable in my local Tesco that there is often heavy useage of the

staffed

'Basket' checkout, despite all the self service tills being free.

A checkout girl in sainsbury asked me to use one of those automated tills and I said that's OK I'd rather to stay in this queue and she asked me why, so I said I don;t want to see you loose your job, and a look of shock came over her face.

Yes I can see a time when no staff are in supermarkets simnilar to train stations at night.