Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT - if the lied about the beef being horse meat.......

In message , Arfa Daily
writes

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.co.uk...
On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 14:04:46 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I'm glad I stopped eating meat 20+ years ago...

Yehbut, can you be sure the vegetables you eat haven't been sprayed
with something nasty?

They probably have but at least I can wash and/or peel most fruit and
veg.

Doesn't necessarily help, if the spray has spread systemically through
the plant, either via the leaves, or by the roots ...

There are rules attached to the use of agricultural sprays. Firstly, in
the case of accredited production, the decision to spray and the choice
of chemical must be by someone qualified to do so. The time, quantity
applied and weather/crop conditions must be recorded and made available
for inspection. From 2014 those of us still relying on *grandfather
rights* will be banned from spraying food crops which can then only be
done by accredited members of the NRoSO.

Clearly if someone wants to cheat it is still possible but the system is
open to checks.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Feb 9, 12:17 pm, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 10:22:13 -0800 (PST), harry

wrote:
A lot of nurses are well over qualified for the job. They don't want
to know about **** and ****. Which is what nursing is mostly all
about.

Nursing 2000 was to blame for that - it lead to thousands of nurses
coming into the system that hadn't started at the bottom rung and
thinking they were too good to clean.

They all need to be kicked out.

Taint gunna happen. That has been seen world wide
now, at least in the modern first and second world.

They are the heart of the problem.

Nope, there is no reason why we can't see nurses aids
etc do the cleaning, collection of the **** and **** etc.
That's happened with quite a bit of the modern first
and second world too.

Corse with you lot stupid enough to let the unions
rule the roost, it's a lot harder to do there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2013 15:27, Arfa Daily wrote:

Which is why the burgers that we use at our burger take-out cost a lot,
trade. They come 100% from a fully traceable local herd of Aberdeen
Angus cattle,

But most of your customers will assume that you are selling Romanian
horse burger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/13 18:21, djc wrote:

The only law that has been broken is mis representation on the packaging.

Assuming of course that the 'registered' Romanian slaughterhouse
actually conforms to EU regulations.

As horse would attract a premium over beef in places where it is
consumed as such, it seems improbable that the horse that found its way
to Findus was such a quality product.

Is that Harry's car on the back?

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-...p09-250473.jpg

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 08/02/13 12:46, Dave Liquorice wrote:

What I find rather disturbing is that no one in the whole long supply
chain, from abattoir to retail outlet, appears to have been routinely
testing that a batch of meat or product called "beef" really is 100%
beef.

How would you know?

DNA testing is scarcely the sort of thing that people engage in
routinely.

Company X decides that in practice people can barely tell horse from
cow, stars mixing in horse, and the frozen mince goes off to McDonkeys
suppliers, who use the sort of it in lasagne as well.

They undercut everyone else's prices, so guess who else start to copy.

Soon, as with banks, 'everybody is doing it' throwing in the rats
squirrels, dogs, deer - anything that is or can reasonably be described
as 'edible meat' goes in one end. and death burgers come out the other.

And you thought Ankh Morpork was fictional.

Rat on a stick, eh? Yum!

Mate of mine always called it Kentucky Fried Rat back in the 60s

Does tend to stick in your mind a bit.

My missus insists that KFC stands for Kan't ****in' Cook ... :-)

Dunno, some do like it.

And some breed rat like things to eat too, particularly in south america.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
The only law that has been broken is mis representation on the packaging.

If they get the main ingredient wrong, isn't it likely all or many of the
others are too?

I doubt it. Using a different meat isnt the
same thing as confusing meat and pasta etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2013 18:43, Tim Lamb wrote:

There are rules attached to the use of agricultural sprays.

Only the British adhere to the RULES. The rest of the EU and the rest of
the world just ignore them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2013 18:46, alan wrote:
On 09/02/2013 15:27, Arfa Daily wrote:

Which is why the burgers that we use at our burger take-out cost a lot,
trade. They come 100% from a fully traceable local herd of Aberdeen
Angus cattle,

But most of your customers will assume that you are selling Romanian
horse burger.

Now might be the time to make it abundantly clear that the burgers are
fully traceable. It is more than many outlets could do.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Arfa Daily
writes

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
hill.co.uk...
[...]

But how often do the checks actually happen, particularly with the
more corrupt parts of the EU ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 19:22:32 +0000, alan wrote:

There are rules attached to the use of agricultural sprays.

Depends how easy it is to ignore the rules. The horse meat thing appears
to me to have happened beacuse no one in the chain was actually checking
that that lump of meat labled "beef" was actually beef.

Only the British adhere to the RULES. The rest of the EU and the rest
of the world just ignore them.

See pig farming... 12 years notice on the ban on sow stalls that came in
on Jan 1st, 17 EU countries are non compliant... Estimated that 40% of
the pig meat produced in the EU is "illegal".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2/9/2013 6:06 PM, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 19:22:32 +0000, alan wrote:

There are rules attached to the use of agricultural sprays.

Depends how easy it is to ignore the rules. The horse meat thing appears
to me to have happened beacuse no one in the chain was actually checking
that that lump of meat labled "beef" was actually beef.

Lump of meat? More likely a pile of mechanically recovered bits and pieces.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 23:32:32 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

Quorn as a veggi food, it has chicken egg in it.
It does actually say that somewhere but veggies don't read much.

I think you are confusing vegetarian and vegan. But then meat eaters are
not known for being particularly bright.

Quorn contains "rehydrated free range egg white". I note it doesn't say
"chicken egg" just "egg" ... B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The only law that has been broken is mis representation on the
packaging.

If they get the main ingredient wrong, isn't it likely all or many of
the others are too?

I doubt it. Using a different meat isnt the same thing as confusing meat
and pasta etc.

Confusing? It's fraud we're talking about - not a mistake.

--
*Great groups from little icons grow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
djc wrote:
As horse would attract a premium over beef in places where it is
consumed as such, it seems improbable that the horse that found its way
to Findus was such a quality product.

Seems in an East European country, horses and carts have recently been
banned from main roads. Resulting in a glut of old nags being sold.

--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
djc wrote:
As horse would attract a premium over beef in places where it is
consumed as such, it seems improbable that the horse that found its way
to Findus was such a quality product.

Seems in an East European country, horses and carts have recently been
banned from main roads. Resulting in a glut of old nags being sold.

"And they say old man your horse will die,
And we say so! And we hope so
And they say old man your horse will die,.
Oh, poor old mare!"

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred writes:

On Friday, February 8, 2013 12:46:45 PM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 11:24:15 +0000, Lobster wrote:

So whereas I expect Findus Horse Lasagane is perfectly normal safe and

OK in some places within the EU (ie, prepared to the same rules and

regs as any food shipped to the UK), it obviously ain't in Blighty; and

imagine it's a case of the wrong sort of meat going down the wrong

assemble line somewhere.

And have the wrong label applied? Beef Lasagne should be made from beef

not horse. If horse is a more expensive meat than beef it ain't going to

be your "prime cuts fit for human consumption" that has been used and

mislabeled either.

What I find rather disturbing is that no one in the whole long supply

chain, from abattoir to retail outlet, appears to have been routinely

testing that a batch of meat or product called "beef" really is 100%

beef.

Why was this only really picked up by random food testing by a small

countries government FSA?

I'm glad I stopped eating meat 20+ years ago...

--

Cheers

Dave.

But how would they differentiate between beef and horse meat once it
had been butchered ? DNA testing would hardly be feasible

Why not? They can separate out the DNA from different humans at a crime
scene, so separating out beef, horse, and wheat DNA should be simpler
because they're more different.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry writes:

On Feb 8, 2:44=A0pm, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, February 8, 2013 1:23:46 PM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote=

:
On 08/02/13 12:46, Dave Liquorice wrote:

What I find rather disturbing is that no one in the whole long supply

chain, from abattoir to retail outlet, appears to have been routinely

testing that a batch of meat or product called "beef" really is 100%

beef.

How would you know?

Usually the ideas is to have the ingedients listed.
The same goes for use by and sell by dates and price tickets/barcode.

DNA testing is scarcely =A0the sort of thing that people engage in rout=

inely.

That's why you should only buy from reputable companies, whether or not p=

eople think Findus is reputable may change.

Company X decides that in practice people can barely tell horse from

cow,

How does company X know this ?

stars mixing in horse, and the frozen mince goes off to McDonkeys

suppliers, who use the sort of it in lasagne as well.
They undercut everyone else's prices, so guess who else start to copy.

Soon, as with banks, 'everybody is doing it' throwing in the rats

squirrels, dogs, deer - anything that is or can reasonably be described

as 'edible meat' goes in one end. and death burgers come out the other.

What hapopens when they start using non-meat perhaps some for of plastic =

with flavouring.... a bit like quorn .

And you thought Ankh Morpork was fictional.

I was thinking more along the lines of soylent green but who would eat gr=

een meat !!! pass the food colouring dear :-)

We buy our stuff from the local butcher.

Can you tell horse meat from cow meat? I doubt if I can.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" writes:

[...]

But many legumes need to be cooked vigorously for a few minutes to
destroy natural toxins.
Who tests that this has been properly done (to kidney beans, as an
example)?
Who checks for pesticide residues? In coffee beans, for example, now
that they're having problems with something called coffee rust?

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

[...]

Funnily enough, I actually quite like KFC ... I also don't mind mickey D's,
which I suppose is odd considering we own a burger take away (which,
incidentally, is spotlessly clean, and sells only very high quality
burgers). We also have a customer who is in every week with his family, and
he owns a burger van ! The people that we sold our cafe to are also
customers of ours, and we still go into their cafe ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/13 16:39, Arfa Daily wrote:

On 08/02/13 18:23, harry wrote:
On Feb 8, 2:44 pm, whisky-dave wrote:

We buy our stuff from the local butcher.

Not allowed to do that . EU rules mean that its legal to cart
horses,say from,Romania to a supermarket near you,. but its illegal to
slaughter a cow less than 100 miles away..

--

Explain ...?

EU regulations insist that meat cannot be sold except if its been killed
at a registered and licensed slaughterhouse. THis means live animals have
to be carted miles to one.

EU harmonisation and open borders means that meat that has been
slaughtered at a 'registered' slaughterhouse in Romania can be carried to
France and used to make horse burgers.

And the products shipped to Findus in the UK.

The only law that has been broken is mis representation on the packaging.

Assuming of course that the 'registered' Romanian slaughterhouse actually
conforms to EU regulations.

Ah, ok. I see what you are saying now. I was having trouble with your
original statement, figuring out how a butcher or farm shop would be able to
sell locally slaughtered meat ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/13 18:21, djc wrote:

The only law that has been broken is mis representation on the
packaging.

Assuming of course that the 'registered' Romanian slaughterhouse
actually conforms to EU regulations.

As horse would attract a premium over beef in places where it is
consumed as such, it seems improbable that the horse that found its way
to Findus was such a quality product.

Is that Harry's car on the back?

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-...p09-250473.jpg

Must be. I can see the bloody great solar panels on the roof ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
[...]

That's all fine and dandy for growers like you in this country, but lots of
veg comes from all over Europe, where they may not be - how shall we say -
quite so 'accommodating' of the rules ... ?

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan" wrote in message
On 09/02/2013 15:27, Arfa Daily wrote:

Which is why the burgers that we use at our burger take-out cost a lot,
trade. They come 100% from a fully traceable local herd of Aberdeen
Angus cattle,

But most of your customers will assume that you are selling Romanian horse
burger.

Err, no, they won't ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 10/02/13 00:51, Windmill wrote:
Can you tell horse meat from cow meat? I doubt if I can.

I once found, in an Italian supermarket in the Veneto, some Bresaola
which was the real thing: horse not beef. The flavour I would describe
as tasting much as a horse smells.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2013 23:28, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 23:32:32 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

Quorn as a veggi food, it has chicken egg in it.
It does actually say that somewhere but veggies don't read much.

I think you are confusing vegetarian and vegan. But then meat eaters are
not known for being particularly bright.

Quorn contains "rehydrated free range egg white". I note it doesn't say
"chicken egg" just "egg" ... B-)

Apparently free-range. Whatever type of avian!

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote

The only law that has been broken is mis representation on the
packaging.

If they get the main ingredient wrong, isn't
it likely all or many of the others are too?

I doubt it. Using a different meat isnt the
same thing as confusing meat and pasta etc.

Confusing?

Yep.

It's fraud we're talking about - not a mistake.

Its only fraud by the supplier, not Findus etc.

I just don’t believe that an operation like Findus
deliberately used horse meat instead of beef.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 9, 6:54*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

[...]

Tch. Ignorance again Wodders.
That is "Cuy". Pronounced kwee.
Guinea pig to us Brits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 9, 7:30*pm, polygonum wrote:
On 09/02/2013 18:46, alan wrote: On 09/02/2013 15:27, Arfa Daily wrote:

Which is why the burgers that we use at our burger take-out cost a lot,
trade. They come 100% from a fully traceable local herd of Aberdeen
Angus cattle,

But most of your customers will assume that you are selling Romanian
horse burger.

Now might be the time to make it abundantly clear that the burgers are
fully traceable. It is more than many outlets could do.

--
Rod

Only in certain countries.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 10, 2:59*am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

Is this "Cafe Culture?"
The one that Bliar was so keen on?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 10, 12:58*am, (Windmill)
wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
[...]

The ones that are picked out of monkey **** should be OK.
Or was it cat ****?
The monkey would have died, right?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 10, 3:04*am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in ...

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-...00909/GAL-10Se...

Must be. I can see the bloody great solar panels on the roof ... * * *:-)

Arfa

Nah Nah. The solar panels are on my house roof.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, I dont mind it either, although on normally only
buy that sort of thing when on a decent trip in a car.

I also don't mind mickey D's,

Yeah, I dont either. I normally make my own tho when home.

which I suppose is odd considering we own a burger take away

Presumably you arent always home.

(which, incidentally, is spotlessly clean, and sells only very high
quality burgers).

Yeah, I normally buy the better burger pattys.

We also have a customer who is in every week with his family, and he owns
a burger van !

Is that coz the kids demand that ?

The people that we sold our cafe to are also customers of ours, and we
still go into their cafe ...

Tad incestuous. Just watch out for kids with two heads...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Arfa Daily
writes
[...]

I'm pretty much retired. I think if rule breaking across Europe were
that blatant the UK agricultural press would be shouting very loudly.

Currently, apart from the horse/beef imbroglio they are only concerned
about the failure to fully implement the Sow stall ban.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday 10 February 2013 08:58 harry wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Feb 10, 12:58 am, (Windmill)

But many legumes need to be cooked vigorously for a few minutes to
destroy natural toxins.
Who tests that this has been properly done (to kidney beans, as an
example)?
Who checks for pesticide residues? In coffee beans, for example, now
that they're having problems with something called coffee rust?

The ones that are picked out of monkey **** should be OK.
Or was it cat ****?
The monkey would have died, right?

Civits...
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday 10 February 2013 04:06 djc wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 10/02/13 00:51, Windmill wrote:
Can you tell horse meat from cow meat? I doubt if I can.

I once found, in an Italian supermarket in the Veneto, some Bresaola
which was the real thing: horse not beef. The flavour I would describe
as tasting much as a horse smells.

Horse milk is nice (had it in Mongolia) - closer to cow's milk than goat's
is to cows.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2013 08:53, harry wrote:
On Feb 9, 7:30 pm, polygonum wrote:
On 09/02/2013 18:46, alan wrote: On 09/02/2013 15:27, Arfa Daily wrote:

Which is why the burgers that we use at our burger take-out cost a lot,
trade. They come 100% from a fully traceable local herd of Aberdeen
Angus cattle,

But most of your customers will assume that you are selling Romanian
horse burger.

Now might be the time to make it abundantly clear that the burgers are
fully traceable. It is more than many outlets could do.

Only in certain countries.

Arfa is only in one country - don't think they are multi-national yet?
(Much as they might deserve to be!)

Or are you saying that only in certain countries could outlets make it
clear that they are fully traceable? Surely they can make it clear if it
is true, in any country?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2013 09:23, Tim Watts wrote:
On Sunday 10 February 2013 04:06 djc wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 10/02/13 00:51, Windmill wrote:
Can you tell horse meat from cow meat? I doubt if I can.

I once found, in an Italian supermarket in the Veneto, some Bresaola
which was the real thing: horse not beef. The flavour I would describe
as tasting much as a horse smells.

Horse milk is nice (had it in Mongolia) - closer to cow's milk than goat's
is to cows.

Henry Williamson, author of Tarka the Otter, wrote a volume of his
autobiography called Donkey Boy (the big 15-volume work being A
Chronicle of Ancient Sunlight). For as a baby he was very ill and was
given donkey milk - which, apparently, is about the closest to human
milk of all the reasonably common animals.

Just had my goats milk on porage oats for breakfast...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2013 08:47, Rod Speed wrote:

Its only fraud by the supplier, not Findus etc.

If it's the general public that bought it then it is fraud by the end
retailer. The consumer hasn't got a contract with Findus or the Romanian
supplier of the horse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2013 04:06, djc wrote:
On 10/02/13 00:51, Windmill wrote:
Can you tell horse meat from cow meat? I doubt if I can.

I once found, in an Italian supermarket in the Veneto, some Bresaola
which was the real thing: horse not beef. The flavour I would describe
as tasting much as a horse smells.

Doesn't it depend on what it has been fed in the weeks previous to death?