Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default TOT - if the lied about the beef being horse meat.......

On 09/02/13 16:39, Arfa Daily wrote:

On 08/02/13 18:23, harry wrote:
On Feb 8, 2:44 pm, whisky-dave wrote:

We buy our stuff from the local butcher.

Not allowed to do that . EU rules mean that its legal to cart
horses,say from,Romania to a supermarket near you,. but its illegal to
slaughter a cow less than 100 miles away..

--

Explain ...?

EU regulations insist that meat cannot be sold except if its been killed
at a registered and licensed slaughterhouse. THis means live animals have
to be carted miles to one.

EU harmonisation and open borders means that meat that has been
slaughtered at a 'registered' slaughterhouse in Romania can be carried to
France and used to make horse burgers.

And the products shipped to Findus in the UK.

The only law that has been broken is mis representation on the packaging.

Assuming of course that the 'registered' Romanian slaughterhouse actually
conforms to EU regulations.

Ah, ok. I see what you are saying now. I was having trouble with your
original statement, figuring out how a butcher or farm shop would be able to
sell locally slaughtered meat ...

Arfa