Reyd Dorakeen

Default I lied

fir turns greatly I made a large bowl(for me) using Mr. Feltmate's
suggestion of between centers, I never could get it to work well for smaller
bowls but for bigger ones it works well. I was wondering, what exactly is
back hollowing, is it going the other way (from center to the lip) with the
tool pointing the opposite of normal?

Ken Moon

Reyd,
"Back hollowing" is a technique used for removing a large amount of material
in a short time, mainly in small to medium boxes, but also in some bowl
work. It is NOT something a new turner wants to try without some hands on
help from an experienced turner. It involves starting your hollowing cut at
the 12:00 o'clock position on the end of the blank (with the flute of the
gouge facing 1:00), and rotating the gouge as you cut toward the 4:00
o'clock position (against rotation). It makes for spectacular catches unless
you have help to begin with (even some after the help)!
Good luck,

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX
=====================================

"Reyd Dorakeen" wrote in message
fir turns greatly I made a large bowl(for me) using Mr. Feltmate's
suggestion of between centers, I never could get it to work well for

smaller
bowls but for bigger ones it works well. I was wondering, what exactly is
back hollowing, is it going the other way (from center to the lip) with

the
tool pointing the opposite of normal?

George

A technique which I believe poses much less risk and hollows as rapidly is
to use a pointy gouge or a bowl gouge with full Irish grind, fully supported
by a close toolrest, laying the bevel on the wall of the piece at 8:50 and
rotating left cautiously until it begins to shave. I have a detail pattern
gouge which really has no bevel, being ground round to allow this technique,
and the plunge technique illustrated on
http://personalpages.tds.net/~upgeor...ing_inside.htm To hollow an
open end-grain piece is easier, as you merely plunge the nose at the center,
sweeping outward and usually up, then roll the gouge right, catching the
shaving on the opposite wing, running inward and downward.

Shavings are produced in proportion to the cut, so once you get more than a
couple inches into a large piece, or an inch into a confined one, clearance
can be a problem. I do the Big Bad Wolf on them as I cut, using a piece of
semirigid tubing, but on no account should you move the rest any farther
from the piece than is necessary to clear the edges, because you will be
giving away leverage you don't care to.

To make slick walls once hollowed, tilt the gouge either slightly nose up -
pointy gouge - or slightly nose down with a blunt gouge to give the cut more
shear.

I might add that what Darrell seems to do with the Oland, cutting on the
side of the flute, is pretty much the same, so if my directions are too
obtuse, try his.

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Keith

I think this is the method Richard Raffan uses in his video. This must be
why it takes him about 4 seconds to hollow a box and it takes me about 20
minutes not including 4 re-chucks!

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
[...]

Peter Teubel

Yup. Its a very effecient technique. I taught it to our club last year and EVERYONE who tried it go the hang of it within 5
minutes. I can only say that its quite easy to do....provided someone holds your hand (literally) and guides you thru the motions.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:47:46 +1100, "Keith" wrote:

I think this is the method Richard Raffan uses in his video. This must be
why it takes him about 4 seconds to hollow a box and it takes me about 20
minutes not including 4 re-chucks!

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
link.net...
Reyd,
"Back hollowing" is a technique used for removing a large amount of

material
in a short time, mainly in small to medium boxes, but also in some bowl
work. It is NOT something a new turner wants to try without some hands on
help from an experienced turner. It involves starting your hollowing cut

at
the 12:00 o'clock position on the end of the blank (with the flute of the
gouge facing 1:00), and rotating the gouge as you cut toward the 4:00
o'clock position (against rotation). It makes for spectacular catches

unless
you have help to begin with (even some after the help)!
Good luck,

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com
AHilton

It's tough to see what he's doing in the video I think. He goes so fast.
His Boxes book has quite a few good shots of the technique though. Still,
nothing is like having someone there guiding you.

- Andrew