Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.bitterness

Default They Lied About Those DVD+RW Discs

Word is that full discs do not need to be erased. In other words, you
can record a TV program over the contents of a full +RW disc.

Didn't work for me.

So how *do* your erase a +RW disc? Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

J wrote:
Word is that full discs do not need to be erased. In other words, you
can record a TV program over the contents of a full +RW disc.

Didn't work for me.

So how *do* your erase a +RW disc? Thanks

First, you don't bombard usenet; rather DAGS on something like "erase
dvd-rw." (Don't sweat the sign.) Then find out what app(s) you might
have installed, or need to install, on computer to erase. RTFM is good, too.

You might well be confused with dvd-ram.

Still wondering how subj relates to home repair.

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.bitterness

J wrote:

Word is that full discs do not need to be erased. In other words, you
can record a TV program over the contents of a full +RW disc.

Didn't work for me.

So how *do* your erase a +RW disc? Thanks

If you're talking about for a DVD recorder, somewhere there's an erase
function, that'll erase the entire disc, without your having to record
something over it.

--
_________________
Alric Knebel

http://www.ironeyefortress.com/C-SPAN_loon.html
http://www.ironeyefortress.com

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.bitterness

"J" Windswept@Home wrote in message
Word is that full discs do not need to be erased. In other words, you
can record a TV program over the contents of a full +RW disc.

Didn't work for me.

So how *do* your erase a +RW disc? Thanks

The quick erase method? 30 seconds in the microwave.

(humor off)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

"Alric Knebel" wrote in message
J wrote:

Word is that full discs do not need to be erased. In other words, you
can record a TV program over the contents of a full +RW disc.

Didn't work for me.

So how *do* your erase a +RW disc? Thanks

If you're talking about for a DVD recorder, somewhere there's an erase
function, that'll erase the entire disc, without your having to record
something over it.

It's called "initialize". Essentially, the disk needs to be formatted. But
they call it initialize, as sometimes you can choose more than one format
option. Somewhere in the menus for the dvd recorder, there will be an
option to initialize the disk. There SHOULD be an option to finalize the
disk, also. -Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On Mon, 12 May 2008 08:04:20 -0400, "Dave" wrote:

"Alric Knebel" wrote in message
m...
J wrote:

Word is that full discs do not need to be erased. In other words, you
can record a TV program over the contents of a full +RW disc.

Didn't work for me.

So how *do* your erase a +RW disc? Thanks

If you're talking about for a DVD recorder, somewhere there's an erase
function, that'll erase the entire disc, without your having to record
something over it.

It's called "initialize". Essentially, the disk needs to be formatted. But
they call it initialize, as sometimes you can choose more than one format
option. Somewhere in the menus for the dvd recorder, there will be an
option to initialize the disk. There SHOULD be an option to finalize the
disk, also. -Dave

I know that on my DVD recorder (Phillips) "erase" is something
different from "format", as it is in computer CD/DVD burning software.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

J wrote:

Word is that full discs do not need to be erased. *In other words, you
can record a TV program over the contents of a full +RW disc.

Didn't work for me.

So how *do* your erase a +RW disc? *Thanks

If you're talking about for a DVD recorder, somewhere there's an erase
function, that'll erase the entire disc, without your having to record
something over it.

It's called "initialize". *Essentially, the disk needs to be formatted. *But
they call it initialize, as sometimes you can choose more than one format
option. *Somewhere in the menus for the dvd recorder, there will be an
option to initialize the disk. *There SHOULD be an option to finalize the
disk, also. *-Dave

I don't have a DVD recorder, so I'm jumping in cold here...

What I'm hearing is that you can't erase an hour of a crappy
basketball game and replace it with a CSI re-run, right?

You would have to format the entire DVD and start over?
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

I don't have a DVD recorder, so I'm jumping in cold here...

What I'm hearing is that you can't erase an hour of a crappy
basketball game and replace it with a CSI re-run, right?

You would have to format the entire DVD and start over?

(snip)

Ummmm, if you are talking about a stand-alone DVD recorder box, then the
answer is yes.

On a computer you can burn a DVD "multisession" so that if you had leftover
space you could use that space later.

If they make a DVD recorder that can do multisession, I haven't seen it.
That function would best be DISABLED on stand-alone consumer boxes anyway.
Otherwise, the only player you could use the disk on would have to be one
that is in a personal computer. What good is that?

But this isn't a big deal. DVD +/-RW media can be "burnt" something like a
thousand times, and I think I paid like a buck a piece for my last pack of
10, which I thought was expensive, at the time.

I've had some disks that have been recorded every week or two and are about
18 months old now, still going strong.

So if you have to erase the entire disk and start over, who cares?
-Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On May 12, 6:00*pm, "Dave" wrote:
[...]

I guess where I was going with this is that I might have 1 hour of
programming that I want to save and another hour that I want to delete
on the same DVD. Say I recorded CSI and then Without a Trace on the
same DVD. Later I want to delete Without a Trace and add another
episode of CSI, just to keep things organized.

I'm sensing that this can't be done, right?

(This is all hypothetical - I'm just trying to understand the
technology)
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On 5/13/2008 6:48 AM DerbyDad03 spake thus:

So if you have to erase the entire disk and start over, who cares?

I guess where I was going with this is that I might have 1 hour of
programming that I want to save and another hour that I want to delete
on the same DVD. Say I recorded CSI and then Without a Trace on the
same DVD. Later I want to delete Without a Trace and add another
episode of CSI, just to keep things organized.

I'm sensing that this can't be done, right?

(This is all hypothetical - I'm just trying to understand the
technology)

Each time you record something (like CSI and WaT in your example), you
create a new "session". When recording something new to a disc, you have
two, and only two, choices (so far as I know, unless there's some
*really* fancy software or recorders out there):

1. Overwrite all existing sessions (essentially "erasing" them, although
they may not need to be physically erased).

2. Add a new session to the existing ones.

So no, you can't choose to keep some sessions and delete others.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill