Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Broadband Speed Test

On 31/08/2012 18:59, Mr Pounder wrote:

I am a bit thick and don't understand.
Can you explain please?

No your not being thick, many ISP's and people that should know better
get it wrong, but everyone understands what is meant when it's written
down incorrectly. (in most cases based on the context of what it's
referencing)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_rate_units

:¬)

HTH
Pete
--
http://www.gymratz.co.uk/fitness-equipment/
Home and domestic Fitness Equipment and stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

After you do the test it should offer you the option to see how you
compare with your local street or village average shown on a map.
ISTR called Streetstats or something like that.

It can be very informative.

It does make you wonder what some of the people have done wrong.
You can get virgin tests that go down as low as 0.6Mb/s even though the
slowest connection they offer is 10mb/s and distance should not affect the
throughput.

Likewise you can get adjacent ADSL where one sub gets ~16M and the one next
door gets 1M.
It goes to show that the subs kit must be making a lot of difference.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:59:04 +0100, Mr Pounder wrote:

VM "free" upgrade from 10 MB to 20 MB. I got 20 MB
Then it went up to 30 MB plus down ---2MB up.

Wow! that's faster than FTTP !
(joining in with the anal milli/Mega bit/Byte joke)

I am a bit thick and don't understand.
Can you explain please?

m = milli = x 0.001
M = mega = x 1000000
b = bit
B = byte

So if some one says they have a 10mb connection that's about 1 *bit* of
information transmitted every 1 minute 40 seconds...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 31/08/2012 17:40, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes

The low upload speed is the Asymmetric speed part of ADSL so it is a
feature of the technology. Many rural phone systems here have nearly
prehistoric cable going miles to the exchange and it is hard to get
more than 2Mbps down it. BT refuse to install new cable in the rural
areas and for every new ADSL subscriber they DACS two grannies phone
lines.

Compared with the others' experiences, my down/up speed ratio is a
relatively low. On a notional 8Mb/s feed, I get less than 2:1
(1.4/0.8Mb/s). The line is around 3 miles. I suppose it's simply because
it has a relatively poor HF performance.

What does your modem report as it's protocol, stats & sync speed on the
line?

I'll have a look, and report back (got to consult my notebook, and dig
out the info on how to do it).

I'm on basic ADSL2 nominal 8Mbps with a sync speed of 4256 at the
moment after applying the bell wire hack. Prior to that I had 2512.

My ADSL was generally typically 1.2Mb/s, and maybe 1.5 or 1.6 max.

I was a bit dubious about what would happen when they upgraded to
ADSL2+, as it could have been counterproductive on a slow line. I was
relieved when I found there were no problems, and that it was now
occasionally up to 1.8Mb/s. My upstream went up from 350kb/s to nearly
800. However, over time, the downstream speed seems to have drifted
downwards, and now it never exceeds the original 1.4Mb/s.

While I suppose it could be possible that my ISP has capped my speed in
order to make sure that it works reliably without wasting time doing too
many error corrections, I believe that my 1.4Mb/s is pretty much par for
the course in my road. [BTW, bell wire disconnection made no difference
at all.]

BT/Openreach have recently finished running fibre into the village, and
have installed two or three cabinets (presumably to house DSLAMs).
However, there are no signs yet of any work being done to re-route any
of the existing copper to the cabinets. Of course, they might be going
to not bother, and simply use the updated system for new installations.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:51:20 +0100, polygonum wrote:

So I assume my speed should have doubled - but it hasn't :-(

Maybe not. Have you got a super-hub? I think that you need some sort of
upgrade before you can actually get the faster speeds. We have an old
cable modem and use our own router. Not at all clear what will happen in
December to February when we are supposed to be getting it.

I've just got a cable modem + my own router. That could be the problem I
suppose.

But if we need a super-hub to double the speed, why don't they tell us?

Considering going for 60 meg. They'd send an engineer with a super-hub to
do that and I assume that all would then be OK - just a few £££ more each
month :-) But do I need it ?? I just don't know :-(
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

After you do the test it should offer you the option to see how you
compare with your local street or village average shown on a map.
ISTR called Streetstats or something like that.

It can be very informative.

It does make you wonder what some of the people have done wrong.
You can get virgin tests that go down as low as 0.6Mb/s even though the
slowest connection they offer is 10mb/s and distance should not affect
the throughput.

Likewise you can get adjacent ADSL where one sub gets ~16M and the one
next door gets 1M.
It goes to show that the subs kit must be making a lot of difference.

no, it just shows that the paths to different exchanges have to end up
close togather at some poimt
And all copper wires and points are not created equal

LLU customers do get different kit, but not THAT different, In the end
its down to the length and quality of the copper.

But then I realised who I was replying to and as usual, you are wrong

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:59:04 +0100, Mr Pounder wrote:

VM "free" upgrade from 10 MB to 20 MB. I got 20 MB
Then it went up to 30 MB plus down ---2MB up.
Wow! that's faster than FTTP !
(joining in with the anal milli/Mega bit/Byte joke)

I am a bit thick and don't understand.
Can you explain please?

m = milli = x 0.001
M = mega = x 1000000
b = bit
B = byte

So if some one says they have a 10mb connection that's about 1 *bit* of
information transmitted every 1 minute 40 seconds...

So obviously they are watching last weeks Corrie on catchup.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 14:30:38 +0000, Jules Richardson wrote:

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:26:20 +0100, MM wrote:

Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My Zen
connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

Is the low upload speed down to the technology used, or set by the ISP
(and they could easily change it, but don't because there's no point as
long as other ISPs aren't offering that as a feature)?

It's set by BT and their implementation.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson wrote:

I was a bit dubious about what would happen when they upgraded to
ADSL2+, as it could have been counterproductive on a slow line. I was
relieved when I found there were no problems, and that it was now
occasionally up to 1.8Mb/s. My upstream went up from 350kb/s to nearly
800. However, over time, the downstream speed seems to have drifted
downwards, and now it never exceeds the original 1.4Mb/s.

which is then all te line will reliably do. :-(

While I suppose it could be possible that my ISP has capped my speed in
order to make sure that it works reliably without wasting time doing too
many error corrections, I believe that my 1.4Mb/s is pretty much par for
the course in my road. [BTW, bell wire disconnection made no difference
at all.]

Both are true except is OPENREACH who do the capping unless you are LLUed

BT/Openreach have recently finished running fibre into the village, and
have installed two or three cabinets (presumably to house DSLAMs).
However, there are no signs yet of any work being done to re-route any
of the existing copper to the cabinets. Of course, they might be going
to not bother, and simply use the updated system for new installations.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 12:01:35 +0100, MM wrote:

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:57:07 +0100, "Thumper"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
news
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM

I got 9.8mb downloand and 1.0mb upload on my Virginmedia 10mb
connection.

So... 10.1Mb is pretty good, no?

Pretty reasonable for straight ADSL.

And about a billion times better than Thumper!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson wrote:

BT/Openreach have recently finished running fibre into the village, and
have installed two or three cabinets (presumably to house DSLAMs).
However, there are no signs yet of any work being done to re-route any
of the existing copper to the cabinets.

There wont be. They install a multi-pair cable linking the old cabinet
to the new cabinet with the VDSL kit, when you upgrade to FTTC, they
jumper your line across *and* back between the cabs ...

************ -------------fibre------------ newcab
* * ^ |
* Exchange * | |
* * | V
************ -------------copper----------- oldcab --copper-- house

So the PSTN part of your line will still travel over copper all the way
from the exchange (the distance will increase by twice the separation
between the old and new cabs but this is insignificant).

The VDSL part of your line will only travel over copper that's your
distance from the old cab, plus the distance between the cabs, but this
ought to be significantly shorter than your current distance back to the
exchange.

Each subscriber who switches over from ADSL to VDSL consumes two pairs
of copper between the old cab (which may be serving hundreds of houses)
and the new cab, and one port on the VDSL kit (which may have as few as
96 ports)

The moral is when FTTC comes to your area, make you mind up whether you
want it or not, and if you do, get your order in quick before everyone
else does ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

gremlin_95 wrote:
On 31/08/2012 11:26, MM wrote:
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM

Seems okay, I get 9.8mb download and 1.0mb upload on Virgin, we have
the 10mb package so I'm impressed

I've seen better than that on straight copper ADSL2

And what is that? I've never really had a problem with mine, seems fine
for what I use the internet for. Though higher speed can never be a bad
thing

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

After you do the test it should offer you the option to see how you
compare with your local street or village average shown on a map.
ISTR called Streetstats or something like that.

It can be very informative.

It does make you wonder what some of the people have done wrong.
You can get virgin tests that go down as low as 0.6Mb/s even though the
slowest connection they offer is 10mb/s and distance should not affect the
throughput.

They do sometimes supply over copper as ADSL Den...

Likewise you can get adjacent ADSL where one sub gets ~16M and the one next
door gets 1M.
It goes to show that the subs kit must be making a lot of difference.

Depends on who does it what time of day etc...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 20:22:19 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

While I suppose it could be possible that my ISP has capped my speed
in order to make sure that it works reliably without wasting time
doing too many error corrections, I believe that my 1.4Mb/s is pretty
much par for the course in my road.

Think yourself lucky you can get 1.4Mbps sync rate. A mile down the road
from here and they are lucky to get 0.5Mbps.

Both are true except is OPENREACH who do the capping unless you are
LLUed

BT do apply a cap that they pass back up to the ISP so that data isn't
fed into the system faster than it can fall out the other end. These
steps are 0.5Mbps once you get above silly slow speeds or at least they
were. I think things on this front have changed recently and the steps
may have become smaller. It was a bit annoying to have a sync speed
50kbps below the next 0.5Mbps step up...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Hugh Jampton
writes
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:51:20 +0100, polygonum wrote:

So I assume my speed should have doubled - but it hasn't :-(

Maybe not. Have you got a super-hub? I think that you need some sort of
upgrade before you can actually get the faster speeds. We have an old
cable modem and use our own router. Not at all clear what will happen in
December to February when we are supposed to be getting it.

I've just got a cable modem + my own router. That could be the problem I
suppose.

But if we need a super-hub to double the speed, why don't they tell us?

Considering going for 60 meg. They'd send an engineer with a super-hub to
do that and I assume that all would then be OK - just a few £££ more each
month :-) But do I need it ?? I just don't know :-(

C'mon - you know you WANT it

Just think of that poor mr branson with no train franchise, where will
he get his next buck ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2012 20:19, The Natural Philosopher wrote: dennis@home wrote:

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

After you do the test it should offer you the option to see how you
compare with your local street or village average shown on a map.
ISTR called Streetstats or something like that.

It can be very informative.

It does make you wonder what some of the people have done wrong.
You can get virgin tests that go down as low as 0.6Mb/s even though
the slowest connection they offer is 10mb/s and distance should not
affect the throughput.

Likewise you can get adjacent ADSL where one sub gets ~16M and the one
next door gets 1M.
It goes to show that the subs kit must be making a lot of difference.

Round here it mostly correlates with distance to the exchange with the
folk who live next door getting astonishing performance. But there are
strange blackspots connected to good exchanges with lousy performance.

no, it just shows that the paths to different exchanges have to end up
close togather at some poimt
And all copper wires and points are not created equal

I think there is an element of serious household dependency present
depending on how old and complicated the internal phone wiring is. It
only takes one dodgy joint in the entire path and throughput is
crippled. A neighbouring village has a maximum download speed of 512k
and the average speed would be beaten by bonded ISDN. Not surprisingly
they are an experimental zone for high speed internet over microwave.

LLU customers do get different kit, but not THAT different, In the end
its down to the length and quality of the copper.

But then I realised who I was replying to and as usual, you are wrong

I reckon it is worth trying your modem in the BT master socket with all
internal wiring disconnected to see if your line back to the exchange is
capable of anything more. No harm in trying. I honestly didn't expect to
get anything at all since my internal wiring is very simple and good
quality new cable but the difference was +50% on sync rate.

The bell wire hack worked wonders here much to my surprise and I suspect
it will work for many of my neighbours too. There is some poor soul just
down the road with only 256kbps. Being on the wrong side of the beck
from the exchange is an automatic -1Mbps rate loss too.

It may be relevant that we are fairly close to a TV transmitter.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

After you do the test it should offer you the option to see how you
compare with your local street or village average shown on a map.
ISTR called Streetstats or something like that.

It can be very informative.

It does make you wonder what some of the people have done wrong.
You can get virgin tests that go down as low as 0.6Mb/s even though the
slowest connection they offer is 10mb/s and distance should not affect
the throughput.

Likewise you can get adjacent ADSL where one sub gets ~16M and the one
next door gets 1M.
It goes to show that the subs kit must be making a lot of difference.

no, it just shows that the paths to different exchanges have to end up
close togather at some poimt

Except I know they don't go to different exchanges.

And all copper wires and points are not created equal

LLU customers do get different kit, but not THAT different, In the end its
down to the length and quality of the copper.

But then I realised who I was replying to and as usual, you are wrong

As usual you are wrong again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 21:22:29 +0100, geoff wrote:

C'mon - you know you WANT it

Just think of that poor mr branson with no train franchise, where will
he get his next buck ?

Thank you - you've convinced me. That nice man does need the money :-)

I WANT it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I think)

:-)
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message

It does make you wonder what some of the people have done wrong.
You can get virgin tests that go down as low as 0.6Mb/s even though the
slowest connection they offer is 10mb/s and distance should not affect
the
throughput.

They do sometimes supply over copper as ADSL Den...

Not in cabled areas.

Likewise you can get adjacent ADSL where one sub gets ~16M and the one
next
door gets 1M.
It goes to show that the subs kit must be making a lot of difference.

Depends on who does it what time of day etc...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam Plusnet wrote:

They installed FTTC at my exchange - and more specifically to my Cabinet
No order from me, & no email from my ISP - but it's done & my speed
(almost) doubled.

Err, are you sure you don't mean they upgraded you from ADSL1 to ADSL2+?

I don't know of any ISP giving away FTTC upgrades for free, and you'd
need a new modem and probably router too to get FTTC speeds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 21:53:16 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

It may be relevant that we are fairly close to a TV transmitter.

A TV transmitter shouldn't make much difference but MW ones will.
R4 Tyne 603, R5 Live 693, R Cumbria 756, R Scotland 810, R Cumbria 837,
Talksport 1053 & 1089 are all currently putting dips in the number of
symbols that the carriers near those frequencies can carry. Probably
knocking 0.5 to 1Mbps off the sync speed.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Martin Brown |||newspam|||@
nezumi.demon.co.uk scribeth thus
[...]

Prolly some questionable cabling from BT..

no, it just shows that the paths to different exchanges have to end up
close togather at some poimt
And all copper wires and points are not created equal

I think there is an element of serious household dependency present
depending on how old and complicated the internal phone wiring is. It
only takes one dodgy joint in the entire path and throughput is
crippled. A neighbouring village has a maximum download speed of 512k
and the average speed would be beaten by bonded ISDN. Not surprisingly
they are an experimental zone for high speed internet over microwave.

Which can work well provided there aren't too many obstructions around
like Trees they can kill that..

LLU customers do get different kit, but not THAT different, In the end
its down to the length and quality of the copper.

But then I realised who I was replying to and as usual, you are wrong

I reckon it is worth trying your modem in the BT master socket with all
internal wiring disconnected to see if your line back to the exchange is
capable of anything more. No harm in trying. I honestly didn't expect to
get anything at all since my internal wiring is very simple and good
quality new cable but the difference was +50% on sync rate.

The bell wire hack worked wonders here much to my surprise and I suspect
it will work for many of my neighbours too. There is some poor soul just
down the road with only 256kbps. Being on the wrong side of the beck
from the exchange is an automatic -1Mbps rate loss too.

It may be relevant that we are fairly close to a TV transmitter.

Doubt that would have anything to do with it. That radiation will be
above your heads, they go to some lengths to make sure of that. Its very
expensive to produce, they don't want to waste it illuminating the
ground!..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 21:53:16 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

It may be relevant that we are fairly close to a TV transmitter.

A TV transmitter shouldn't make much difference but MW ones will.
R4 Tyne 603, R5 Live 693, R Cumbria 756, R Scotland 810, R Cumbria 837,
Talksport 1053 & 1089 are all currently putting dips in the number of
symbols that the carriers near those frequencies can carry. Probably
knocking 0.5 to 1Mbps off the sync speed.

Look on the bright side, the BBC are planning on shutting some MW Tx's
down soon...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message

It does make you wonder what some of the people have done wrong.
You can get virgin tests that go down as low as 0.6Mb/s even though the
slowest connection they offer is 10mb/s and distance should not affect
the
throughput.

They do sometimes supply over copper as ADSL Den...

Not in cabled areas.

What do you not understand about the word "sometimes" ?...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message

It does make you wonder what some of the people have done wrong.
You can get virgin tests that go down as low as 0.6Mb/s even though the
slowest connection they offer is 10mb/s and distance should not affect
the
throughput.

They do sometimes supply over copper as ADSL Den...

Not in cabled areas.

What do you not understand about the word "sometimes" ?...

What has what you said got to do with them having poor speed test results in
a cabled area?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message

It does make you wonder what some of the people have done wrong.
You can get virgin tests that go down as low as 0.6Mb/s even though the
slowest connection they offer is 10mb/s and distance should not affect
the
throughput.

They do sometimes supply over copper as ADSL Den...

Not in cabled areas.

What do you not understand about the word "sometimes" ?...

What has what you said got to do with them having poor speed test results in
a cabled area?

Well I know a few well genned up techs who work with these systems and
they beg to differ re speeds on a cabled network over such short
distances...

And I know a lot of people using it and they all have the same speeds
i.e. what they pay for unlike ADSL over copper.

But they do deliver over ADSL where their network doesn't cover.

So where do you get your results from then?.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message

[...]

You get what you pay for with ADSL.
Just because some people don't listen to the estimate of the speed they will
get doesn't mean they are getting less than they are paying for.
You look at the options and choose what does what you want.

Virgin cable is OK but its too expensive and it has some serious caps on it.

But they do deliver over ADSL where their network doesn't cover.

So where do you get your results from then?.....

Oddly enough the speed test site in the post I replied to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Virgin is probably the fastest unless you go for BT Infinity, both are
faster due to the fibre optic to the closest possible point of course. The
snag with all of this is that often the net itself gets clogged up and one
cannot actually do much about that.

Something that niggles me is that I lose the connection at least 3 or 4
times a week. It's just a case of reconnecting to the router to get back on
line but I do wonder am I just losing the wireless link between my laptop
and the router or is it the internet connection I keep losing for 30
seconds? Very occassionally I have to do a complete power down and restart
to get connected.

My nephew says I should get a VM engineer to come out and fix the line
everytime it happens but I guess they would only come out if the internet
became unuseable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 14:01:56 +0100, Thumper wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Virgin is probably the fastest unless you go for BT Infinity, both are
faster due to the fibre optic to the closest possible point of course.
The snag with all of this is that often the net itself gets clogged up
and one cannot actually do much about that.

Something that niggles me is that I lose the connection at least 3 or 4
times a week. It's just a case of reconnecting to the router to get back
on line but I do wonder am I just losing the wireless link between my
laptop and the router or is it the internet connection I keep losing for
30 seconds? Very occassionally I have to do a complete power down and
restart to get connected.

My nephew says I should get a VM engineer to come out and fix the line
everytime it happens but I guess they would only come out if the
internet became unuseable.

Do you have a separate router and modem? We do so can detect and check
what has happened. But we do not see many disconnections of either sort -
certainly not several times a week. And that is despite a load of other
wireless users within quite a short distance. So maybe at least talk to VM
and get them to look from their end?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

Yes a Cisco router and a seperate modem supplied by VM when we took their
cable broadband service. They have a sticker on the modem which reads "if
connection is lost turn off pc and modem at the mains, wait 30 secs, turn on
modem, wait 30 secs, turn on pc. This fixes the problem most of the time".
As I said before I've only had to be that drastic on very few occassions.
Think I will get on to them next time I get a problem.

Does it make a difference if you have many devices connected to the router?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 22:32:00 +0100, Thumper wrote:

news
wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

Same sticker. Same pillock advice. I don't think we have ever had to
reboot a PC - or a Mac - or an Android - or TV - to get things working. In
fact, I am struggling to remember ever actually having to reboot the
router. But the modem, yes, maybe every few months. Really rarely twice in
a day or so.

And we have sometimes seven or maybe more devices connecting to the router.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Thumper
scribeth thus

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Virgin is probably the fastest unless you go for BT Infinity, both are
faster due to the fibre optic to the closest possible point of course. The
snag with all of this is that often the net itself gets clogged up and one
cannot actually do much about that.

Something that niggles me is that I lose the connection at least 3 or 4
times a week. It's just a case of reconnecting to the router to get back on
line but I do wonder am I just losing the wireless link between my laptop
and the router or is it the internet connection I keep losing for 30
seconds? Very occassionally I have to do a complete power down and restart
to get connected.

My nephew says I should get a VM engineer to come out and fix the line
everytime it happens but I guess they would only come out if the internet
became unuseable.

Can you not cable connect it to the router for a while and see?.

Also how much 2.4 G radio use is there where U live?..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , polygonum
scribeth thus
On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 22:32:00 +0100, Thumper wrote:

news
wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

Our VM modem rebooted Three times in past year.

Once for IP addy change.

Once for speed upgrade, and once for Paddy and his fecking digger;!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And I know a lot of people using it and they all have the same speeds
i.e. what they pay for unlike ADSL over copper.

You get what you pay for with ADSL.
Just because some people don't listen to the estimate of the speed they will
get doesn't mean they are getting less than they are paying for.
You look at the options and choose what does what you want.

I suppose your right .. well in the paralled Deniverse ..

Virgin cable is OK but its too expensive and it has some serious caps on it.

Bull****..

23 quid a month phone line and 20 meg service and three users of Iplayer
on the go most of the time?..

But they do deliver over ADSL where their network doesn't cover.

So where do you get your results from then?.....

Oddly enough the speed test site in the post I replied to.

Well thats gotta be spot on accurate then ...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , polygonum
scribeth thus
On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 22:32:00 +0100, Thumper wrote:

"polygonum" wrote in message
news On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 14:01:56 +0100, Thumper
wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

sadly a mile of copper and a thunderstorm always seems to knocvk mine
into lala land.

But at least a reboot fixes it, unlike Netgears, which always seem to
end up dead.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Virgin cable is OK but its too expensive and it has some serious caps on
it.

Bull****..

23 quid a month phone line and 20 meg service and three users of Iplayer
on the go most of the time?..

iPlayer isn't exactly a big bandwidth user.
Even with three HD streams they would still be below the cap Virgin impose
when you try and use all the bandwidth you can get during peak times.
If you come home from work at 6 pm and decide you need to download a couple
of DVD ISOs you will soon find out what their cap is.

But they do deliver over ADSL where their network doesn't cover.

So where do you get your results from then?.....

Oddly enough the speed test site in the post I replied to.

Well thats gotta be spot on accurate then ...

Well yes that is exactly what it is.
And its obviously the point I made that there is something wrong with the
sub if they are only getting 1Mb/s from Virgin cable.
However you appear to think I said there was something wrong with Virgin
cable and have gone all defensive.

However if you want me to list what's wrong with Virgin cable I can.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Virgin cable is OK but its too expensive and it has some serious caps on
it.

Bull****..

23 quid a month phone line and 20 meg service and three users of Iplayer
on the go most of the time?..

iPlayer isn't exactly a big bandwidth user.
Even with three HD streams they would still be below the cap Virgin impose
when you try and use all the bandwidth you can get during peak times.

Not a problem here ..

If you come home from work at 6 pm and decide you need to download a couple
of DVD ISOs you will soon find out what their cap is.

Done just that and it looks fine whizzing away the way it does.

If it wasn't good enough then I'd soon be on the phone to cancellations
but it is fine thanks. I just feel a bit guilty all this speed I need is
here and just outside of town there are those who'd kill for 4 meg even
as long as it stayed going..

Course they pay for 8 but get the 1 odd..

Which isn't right in the real world .....

But they do deliver over ADSL where their network doesn't cover.

So where do you get your results from then?.....

Oddly enough the speed test site in the post I replied to.

Well thats gotta be spot on accurate then ...

Well yes that is exactly what it is.
And its obviously the point I made that there is something wrong with the
sub if they are only getting 1Mb/s from Virgin cable.

So what do you think is wrong then?..

However you appear to think I said there was something wrong with Virgin
cable and have gone all defensive.

Nope just telling it like it is..

However if you want me to list what's wrong with Virgin cable I can.

Go on then...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Well yes that is exactly what it is.
And its obviously the point I made that there is something wrong with the
sub if they are only getting 1Mb/s from Virgin cable.

So what do you think is wrong then?..

There are several obvious possibilities.
Maybe they are still using one of the STBs to get their broadband.
They were well known for only giving about 1M whichever service you paid
for.

The Older cable modems couldn't deliver much bandwidth either.
I don't know if they have actually gone around replacing them but they
hadn't when I left a few years ago.

Then there are allsorts of possible problems with wireless.

But the most obvious is that they did the test after being throttled due to
using too much bandwidth.
IIRC 1M is one of the caps they impose on people they deem to be using their
connection too much.

However you appear to think I said there was something wrong with Virgin
cable and have gone all defensive.

Nope just telling it like it is..

However if you want me to list what's wrong with Virgin cable I can.

Go on then...

Contention.
Customer service.
Erratic upgrades.
Sometimes run out of IP addresses on a node
Poor connectivity with the rest of the net.
Poor news server.
Abuse dept liable to cut you off if anyone complains about you, without
warning.
Caps and traffic shaping.
Cost.
You have to manually change modem settings to get the best from your
connection as Virgin seldom put you on the best channels for your area and
the channels change all the time.