DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Broadband Speed Test (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/345815-broadband-speed-test.html)

MM August 31st 12 11:26 AM

Broadband Speed Test

Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM

Brian Gaff August 31st 12 11:51 AM

Broadband Speed Test

Virgin is probably the fastest unless you go for BT Infinity, both are
faster due to the fibre optic to the closest possible point of course. The
snag with all of this is that often the net itself gets clogged up and one
cannot actually do much about that.

Brian

Email:

Thumper[_2_] August 31st 12 11:57 AM

Broadband Speed Test

"MM" wrote in message
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM

I got 9.8mb downloand and 1.0mb upload on my Virginmedia 10mb connection.

MM August 31st 12 12:01 PM

Broadband Speed Test

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:57:07 +0100, "Thumper"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM

I got 9.8mb downloand and 1.0mb upload on my Virginmedia 10mb connection.

So... 10.1Mb is pretty good, no?

MM

www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_2_] August 31st 12 12:02 PM

Broadband Speed Test

On 31/08/2012 11:26, MM wrote:
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

The actual speed shouldn't (in theory) change regardless of which ISP
you use. It's the wire (interanal and external) and distance from the
exchange that makes the difference.
I've always found on-line estimated speeds generally lower than what the
line is capable of supplying.

So I would suggest if you had Sky or BT the speed would be the same as
you are getting on Zen.

Differences occur in peak time speeds (connection saturation) traffic
management (shaping) and other factors an on-line test won't tell you about.

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

Ask a few neighbours and compare.
If you are getting 10Mbps on an estimated 6Mbps then it sounds pretty
good to me. (average on a nationwide scale I'd suggest)

Plenty fast enough to get on-line content i-player etc. but upload speed
would limit how many usable skype style connections could be supported,
especially if no traffic priority rules are in place (router managed)
and the local network is being shared by multiple simultaneous users as
found in a busy family home on an evening.

HTH
Pete

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.gymratz.co.uk/books/ Fat loss and nutrition books

www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_2_] August 31st 12 12:05 PM

Broadband Speed Test

On 31/08/2012 12:02, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

It's the wire (interanal and external)

Ha, obviously not inter-anal !

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.gymratz.co.uk/rapid-fatloss-book - NOT for general dieters!

Martin Brown August 31st 12 12:18 PM

Broadband Speed Test

On 31/08/2012 11:26, MM wrote:
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

After you do the test it should offer you the option to see how you
compare with your local street or village average shown on a map.
ISTR called Streetstats or something like that.

It can be very informative. My old speed was the highest in the village
to begin with and after the bell wire tweak I am 50% better off now. I
am on the end of a long piece of very old wet string in rural Yorks so
3Mbps is very good. No prospect of new real copper circuits up here.
(and fibre to cabinet would get the response "what cabinet")

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Man at B&Q August 31st 12 12:23 PM

Broadband Speed Test

On Aug 31, 11:26*am, MM wrote:
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb *Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM

Test or estimate? How can you "test" a Sky or BT connection when you
are connected to Zen?

Something not quite right here.

MBQ

Martin Brown August 31st 12 12:25 PM

Broadband Speed Test

On 31/08/2012 12:23, Man at B&Q wrote:
On Aug 31, 11:26 am, MM wrote:
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM

Test or estimate? How can you "test" a Sky or BT connection when you
are connected to Zen?

Something not quite right here.

It shows what other nearby customers on the same exchange or postcode
are getting on average (provided it is statistically significant).

The map shows individual sample points ISP & speed geographically.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Bert Coules August 31st 12 12:55 PM

Broadband Speed Test

My results (with PlusNet) are 3.6Mb download, 0.3Mb upload. So I'm very
envious...

Bert

Andy Burns[_7_] August 31st 12 01:01 PM

Broadband Speed Test

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

On 31/08/2012 11:26, MM wrote:

Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

The actual speed shouldn't (in theory) change regardless of which ISP
you use. It's the wire (interanal and external) and distance from the
exchange that makes the difference.

LLU providers can vary (they might have ADSL2 before BT does for
example, and BT tend to use more conservative settingswhich don't push
the line so hard).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

They're only estimates, designed to encourage you to vote with your wallet.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] August 31st 12 01:04 PM

Broadband Speed Test

MM wrote:
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

hard to tell. All they tell me is that you are close to the exchange.:)

MM

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Dave[_60_] August 31st 12 01:07 PM

Broadband Speed Test

MM explained :
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

Rather depends what package you're on. For instance, I'm on BT Infinity
2 and get a rock-solid connection, the last speedtest of which showed
75.97Mbps down and 15.69Mbps up. If I was to get your figures on my
package then something would be sadly wrong, but for your package those
figures may be good.

MM August 31st 12 02:09 PM

Broadband Speed Test

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 13:04:44 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

MM wrote:
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

hard to tell. All they tell me is that you are close to the exchange.:)

That indeed! The story goes like this: I am in one of the most rural
parts of Lincs. No shops, no scheduled bus service, around 250
dwellings. When I moved in (2004), the builder/seller said,
"Broadband? No problem, John!" He then went on to spin me a line about
how BT "...had promised to install BB Real Soon Now..." All a pack of
lies. There was no BB in the village.

For a couple of years I was logging on to that web site where all the
lost souls in search of BB go, to see when/if any BB was planned
anytime soon. There was potentially something pencilled in for a
couple of years later.

And then, one day dawned and we were surprised to see the area
inundated with BT/Openreach vans laying cables like the dickens. Our
lonely, isolated, ancient, unmanned brick exchange building about the
size of a large garage took on a whole new meaning as it is within
walking distance.

Suddenly BB was available and it appears (on the figure I have
provided) to be pretty snappy.

To this day, no one around here knows what prompted BT to change tack.
What I reckon is, someone either rich and/or famous moved into the
village and demanded BB and BT said, "Tomorrow soon enough for ya?"

The line is ultra reliable, too. I've no idea whether fibre was used
in any part of it.

MM

gremlin_95[_3_] August 31st 12 02:09 PM

Broadband Speed Test

On 31/08/2012 11:26, MM wrote:
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM

Seems okay, I get 9.8mb download and 1.0mb upload on Virgin, we have the
10mb package so I'm impressed :)

--
David

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] August 31st 12 02:16 PM

Broadband Speed Test

MM wrote:

To this day, no one around here knows what prompted BT to change tack.
What I reckon is, someone either rich and/or famous moved into the
village and demanded BB and BT said, "Tomorrow soon enough for ya?"

yep. I saw an openreach fvan laying cables - 'whats up?' 'run out. Bloke
up the hill wants more circuits' well l we have a greek billionaire and
an American hedge fund manager that way.

So when I had issues with my line, the engineer said 'there's lots of
spare pairs of new cable I can use!

The line is ultra reliable, too. I've no idea whether fibre was used
in any part of it.

Probably because there's only one join in it.

I am maxed out at a synch of about 4.5Mbps

MM

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] August 31st 12 02:17 PM

Broadband Speed Test

gremlin_95 wrote:
On 31/08/2012 11:26, MM wrote:
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM

Seems okay, I get 9.8mb download and 1.0mb upload on Virgin, we have the
10mb package so I'm impressed :)

I've seen better than that on straight copper ADSL2

Man at B&Q August 31st 12 02:30 PM

Broadband Speed Test

On Aug 31, 2:17*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
gremlin_95 wrote:
On 31/08/2012 11:26, MM wrote:
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb *Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM

Seems okay, I get 9.8mb download and 1.0mb upload on Virgin, we have the
10mb package so I'm impressed :)

I've seen better than that on straight copper ADSL2

I get 15mb+ download synch speed on copper.

MBQ

Man at B&Q August 31st 12 02:32 PM

Broadband Speed Test

On Aug 31, 2:09*pm, MM wrote:

To this day, no one around here knows what prompted BT to change tack.
What I reckon is, someone either rich and/or famous moved into the
village and demanded BB and BT said, "Tomorrow soon enough for ya?"

In our village it was a group getting very serious about installing a
wireless network for the village. Maybe coincidence, but, all of a
sudden, BT decided we could have BB after all. It took while longer
for LLU to arrive.

MBQ

Dave Liquorice[_2_] August 31st 12 02:38 PM

Broadband Speed Test

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 14:17:08 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Seems okay, I get 9.8mb download and 1.0mb upload on Virgin, we have
the 10mb package so I'm impressed :)

I've seen better than that on straight copper ADSL2

Even a V23 modem does better. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Andrew Gabriel August 31st 12 02:49 PM

Broadband Speed Test

In article ,
"Bert Coules" writes:
My results (with PlusNet) are 3.6Mb download, 0.3Mb upload. So I'm very
envious...

My line is running at 21Mbit/s. I get 17.7 down, 0.9 up.
I'm probably slightly under half a mile from the exchange.

If it wasn't so good, I could justify upgrading to FTTC.
My brother just did that in London, and now gets 76M down
(can't remember what the 'up' is).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Gordon Henderson August 31st 12 02:52 PM

Broadband Speed Test

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Virgin is probably the fastest unless you go for BT Infinity, both are

Do remember that Infinity is just BT's name for their FTTC service -
there are many other ISPs that can use the same infrastructure - and
many IMO are much much better than BT retail.

Of-course BT will have you think otherwise, but there you go.

Also remember it's not just top-speed that counts. Think of network
congestion, throttling, customer service, etc.

The niche ISPs like Zen, etc. typically don't indulge in this sort of
stuff, of when they do, it's very well pulicised with defined limits
rather than some wooly unpublished AUP..

Gordon

Mr Pounder[_2_] August 31st 12 03:01 PM

Broadband Speed Test

"MM" wrote in message
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM

VM "free" upgrade from 10 MB to 20 MB. I got 20 MB
Then it went up to 30 MB plus down ---2MB up.

Jules Richardson August 31st 12 03:30 PM

Broadband Speed Test

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:26:20 +0100, MM wrote:

Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My Zen
connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

Is the low upload speed down to the technology used, or set by the ISP
(and they could easily change it, but don't because there's no point as
long as other ISPs aren't offering that as a feature)?

I'm in a very rural location here in the US, and I still get a healthy
13Mb download - but it's the 10Mb upload which is surprising (as when I
lived in the UK, low upload speeds seemed the norm)

cheers

Jules

MM August 31st 12 03:34 PM

Broadband Speed Test

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 14:30:38 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:26:20 +0100, MM wrote:

Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My Zen
connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

Is the low upload speed down to the technology used, or set by the ISP
(and they could easily change it, but don't because there's no point as
long as other ISPs aren't offering that as a feature)?

I'm in a very rural location here in the US, and I still get a healthy
13Mb download - but it's the 10Mb upload which is surprising (as when I
lived in the UK, low upload speeds seemed the norm)

cheers

Jules

I'm not worried about uploading as I do very little of it.

MM

Martin Brown August 31st 12 04:13 PM

Broadband Speed Test

On 31/08/2012 15:30, Jules Richardson wrote: On Fri, 31 Aug 2012
11:26:20 +0100, MM wrote:

Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My Zen
connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

Is the low upload speed down to the technology used, or set by the ISP
(and they could easily change it, but don't because there's no point as
long as other ISPs aren't offering that as a feature)?

The low upload speed is the Asymmetric speed part of ADSL so it is a
feature of the technology. Many rural phone systems here have nearly
prehistoric cable going miles to the exchange and it is hard to get more
than 2Mbps down it. BT refuse to install new cable in the rural areas
and for every new ADSL subscriber they DACS two grannies phone lines.

Most people download a lot more stuff from the internet than they upload
so the ~10:1 asymmetry in speeds makes a lot of sense.

I'm in a very rural location here in the US, and I still get a healthy
13Mb download - but it's the 10Mb upload which is surprising (as when I
lived in the UK, low upload speeds seemed the norm)

Is that over phone line or cable TV feed?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_2_] August 31st 12 05:16 PM

Broadband Speed Test

On 31/08/2012 15:01, Mr Pounder wrote:

VM "free" upgrade from 10 MB to 20 MB. I got 20 MB
Then it went up to 30 MB plus down ---2MB up.

Wow! that's faster than FTTP !
(joining in with the anal milli/Mega bit/Byte joke)

Pete
--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] August 31st 12 05:18 PM

Broadband Speed Test

wrote:
gremlin_95 wrote:
On 31/08/2012 11:26, MM wrote:
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb
This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).
Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?
MM
Seems okay, I get 9.8mb download and 1.0mb upload on Virgin, we have the
10mb package so I'm impressed :)

I've seen better than that on straight copper ADSL2

I get 15mb+ download synch speed on copper.

MBQ

yep, I did an installation ans saw a shade over that.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] August 31st 12 05:19 PM

Broadband Speed Test

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Aug 31, 2:09 pm, MM wrote:

To this day, no one around here knows what prompted BT to change tack.
What I reckon is, someone either rich and/or famous moved into the
village and demanded BB and BT said, "Tomorrow soon enough for ya?"

In our village it was a group getting very serious about installing a
wireless network for the village. Maybe coincidence, but, all of a
sudden, BT decided we could have BB after all. It took while longer
for LLU to arrive.

That generally works.

MBQ

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] August 31st 12 05:20 PM

Broadband Speed Test

Jules Richardson wrote:
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:26:20 +0100, MM wrote:

Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My Zen
connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

Is the low upload speed down to the technology used, or set by the ISP
(and they could easily change it, but don't because there's no point as
long as other ISPs aren't offering that as a feature)?

I'm in a very rural location here in the US, and I still get a healthy
13Mb download - but it's the 10Mb upload which is surprising (as when I
lived in the UK, low upload speeds seemed the norm)

Different protocol I think

We take the A in ADSL very seriously - or BTs DSLAMS do, anyway.

cheers

Jules

tony sayer August 31st 12 05:22 PM

Broadband Speed Test

In article , MM
scribeth thus
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM

Might be that they have their own equipment in the exchange if you look
that up on Samknows it will tell you.

They are an excellent ISP otherwise 'tho so much better for customer
service...
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer August 31st 12 05:29 PM

Broadband Speed Test

In article
..com, Man at B&Q scribeth thus
wrote:
gremlin_95 wrote:
On 31/08/2012 11:26, MM wrote:
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb *Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM

Seems okay, I get 9.8mb download and 1.0mb upload on Virgin, we have the
10mb package so I'm impressed :)

I've seen better than that on straight copper ADSL2

I get 15mb+ download synch speed on copper.

MBQ

Well just how long is a piece of string;?..

As most here should know line length is the biggest factor for
conventional ADSL. I know mostly of people who are at the bottom end of
the speed ratings as they are some way from their exchange. Indeed one
of our customers only has 1.7 Meg down on a good day inside the boundary
of Cambridge city.

We use Zen for ADSL at a number o other sites and as good an ISP that
they are they too are at the mercy of the line plant and length.

However sometimes even if you are on a short line not that far from the
exchange it can say connected at a high rate but in practice the real
throughput isn't quite so fast.

Here we're on Virgin Media and are supplied with 20 megs its supposed to
be up to 40M 'ere long but every time I test it no matter what test site
its 20 on the nose down and just over One up;!...

Seems quite adequate for purposes. I have seen their 100M service on
the go just LAN fast!..
--
Tony Sayer

Ian Jackson[_2_] August 31st 12 05:40 PM

Broadband Speed Test

In message , Martin Brown
writes

The low upload speed is the Asymmetric speed part of ADSL so it is a
feature of the technology. Many rural phone systems here have nearly
prehistoric cable going miles to the exchange and it is hard to get
more than 2Mbps down it. BT refuse to install new cable in the rural
areas and for every new ADSL subscriber they DACS two grannies phone lines.

Compared with the others' experiences, my down/up speed ratio is a
relatively low. On a notional 8Mb/s feed, I get less than 2:1
(1.4/0.8Mb/s). The line is around 3 miles. I suppose it's simply because
it has a relatively poor HF performance.

--
Ian

Martin Brown August 31st 12 05:57 PM

Broadband Speed Test

On 31/08/2012 17:40, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes

The low upload speed is the Asymmetric speed part of ADSL so it is a
feature of the technology. Many rural phone systems here have nearly
prehistoric cable going miles to the exchange and it is hard to get
more than 2Mbps down it. BT refuse to install new cable in the rural
areas and for every new ADSL subscriber they DACS two grannies phone
lines.

Compared with the others' experiences, my down/up speed ratio is a
relatively low. On a notional 8Mb/s feed, I get less than 2:1
(1.4/0.8Mb/s). The line is around 3 miles. I suppose it's simply because
it has a relatively poor HF performance.

What does your modem report as it's protocol, stats & sync speed on the
line?

I'm on basic ADSL2 nominal 8Mbps with a sync speed of 4256 at the moment
after applying the bell wire hack. Prior to that I had 2512.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] August 31st 12 06:02 PM

Broadband Speed Test

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes

The low upload speed is the Asymmetric speed part of ADSL so it is a
feature of the technology. Many rural phone systems here have nearly
prehistoric cable going miles to the exchange and it is hard to get
more than 2Mbps down it. BT refuse to install new cable in the rural
areas and for every new ADSL subscriber they DACS two grannies phone
lines.

Compared with the others' experiences, my down/up speed ratio is a
relatively low. On a notional 8Mb/s feed, I get less than 2:1
(1.4/0.8Mb/s). The line is around 3 miles. I suppose it's simply because
it has a relatively poor HF performance.

That is unusual. The normal ADSL1/2 is up to 8 down 448 up (ocasionally
896 up)

SOE LLU operators do higher upload speeds

ADSL2+ is something like up to 20M down and up to 1.5M up.

Hugh Jampton August 31st 12 06:08 PM

Broadband Speed Test

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 17:29:22 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

Here we're on Virgin Media and are supplied with 20 megs its supposed to
be up to 40M 'ere long but every time I test it no matter what test site
its 20 on the nose down

I have similar with VM. I'm on 10 meg and it's supposed to 20 meg but it
isn't :-( Still on 10 every time I check. I don't understand it :-(
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

polygonum August 31st 12 06:30 PM

Broadband Speed Test

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:08:26 +0100, Hugh Jampton wrote:

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 17:29:22 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

Here we're on Virgin Media and are supplied with 20 megs its supposed to
be up to 40M 'ere long but every time I test it no matter what test site
its 20 on the nose down

I have similar with VM. I'm on 10 meg and it's supposed to 20 meg but it
isn't :-( Still on 10 every time I check. I don't understand it :-(

Are you supposed to be getting that now or only after the "speed doubling"
program - which is not going to completed until at least late next year?

--
Rod

Hugh Jampton August 31st 12 06:43 PM

Broadband Speed Test

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:30:02 +0100, polygonum wrote:

I have similar with VM. I'm on 10 meg and it's supposed to 20 meg but it
isn't :-( Still on 10 every time I check. I don't understand it :-(

Are you supposed to be getting that now or only after the "speed doubling"
program - which is not going to completed until at least late next year?

When I enter my postcode at the VM website it says :-

"Your area is ready"

"Congratulations! The new double speed boosts are already up and running in
your area."

So I assume my speed should have doubled - but it hasn't :-(
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

polygonum August 31st 12 06:51 PM

Broadband Speed Test

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:43:37 +0100, Hugh Jampton wrote:

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:30:02 +0100, polygonum wrote:

I have similar with VM. I'm on 10 meg and it's supposed to 20 meg but
it
isn't :-( Still on 10 every time I check. I don't understand it :-(

Are you supposed to be getting that now or only after the "speed
doubling"
program - which is not going to completed until at least late next year?

When I enter my postcode at the VM website it says :-

"Your area is ready"

"Congratulations! The new double speed boosts are already up and running
in
your area."

So I assume my speed should have doubled - but it hasn't :-(

Maybe not. Have you got a super-hub? I think that you need some sort of
upgrade before you can actually get the faster speeds. We have an old
cable modem and use our own router. Not at all clear what will happen in
December to February when we are supposed to be getting it.

--
Rod

Mr Pounder[_2_] August 31st 12 06:59 PM

Broadband Speed Test

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in message
On 31/08/2012 15:01, Mr Pounder wrote:

VM "free" upgrade from 10 MB to 20 MB. I got 20 MB
Then it went up to 30 MB plus down ---2MB up.

Wow! that's faster than FTTP !
(joining in with the anal milli/Mega bit/Byte joke)

I am a bit thick and don't understand.
Can you explain please?