Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Broadband Speed Test

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Well yes that is exactly what it is.
And its obviously the point I made that there is something wrong with the
sub if they are only getting 1Mb/s from Virgin cable.

So what do you think is wrong then?..

There are several obvious possibilities.
Maybe they are still using one of the STBs to get their broadband.
They were well known for only giving about 1M whichever service you paid
for.

The Older cable modems couldn't deliver much bandwidth either.
I don't know if they have actually gone around replacing them but they
hadn't when I left a few years ago.

Then there are allsorts of possible problems with wireless.

But the most obvious is that they did the test after being throttled due to
using too much bandwidth.
IIRC 1M is one of the caps they impose on people they deem to be using their
connection too much.

However you appear to think I said there was something wrong with Virgin
cable and have gone all defensive.

Nope just telling it like it is..

However if you want me to list what's wrong with Virgin cable I can.

Go on then...

Contention.
Customer service.
Erratic upgrades.
Sometimes run out of IP addresses on a node
Poor connectivity with the rest of the net.
Poor news server.
Abuse dept liable to cut you off if anyone complains about you, without
warning.
Caps and traffic shaping.
Cost.
You have to manually change modem settings to get the best from your
connection as Virgin seldom put you on the best channels for your area and
the channels change all the time.