Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Broadband Speed Test

On 31/08/2012 20:19, The Natural Philosopher wrote: dennis@home wrote:

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

After you do the test it should offer you the option to see how you
compare with your local street or village average shown on a map.
ISTR called Streetstats or something like that.

It can be very informative.

It does make you wonder what some of the people have done wrong.
You can get virgin tests that go down as low as 0.6Mb/s even though
the slowest connection they offer is 10mb/s and distance should not
affect the throughput.

Likewise you can get adjacent ADSL where one sub gets ~16M and the one
next door gets 1M.
It goes to show that the subs kit must be making a lot of difference.

Round here it mostly correlates with distance to the exchange with the
folk who live next door getting astonishing performance. But there are
strange blackspots connected to good exchanges with lousy performance.

no, it just shows that the paths to different exchanges have to end up
close togather at some poimt
And all copper wires and points are not created equal

I think there is an element of serious household dependency present
depending on how old and complicated the internal phone wiring is. It
only takes one dodgy joint in the entire path and throughput is
crippled. A neighbouring village has a maximum download speed of 512k
and the average speed would be beaten by bonded ISDN. Not surprisingly
they are an experimental zone for high speed internet over microwave.

LLU customers do get different kit, but not THAT different, In the end
its down to the length and quality of the copper.

But then I realised who I was replying to and as usual, you are wrong

I reckon it is worth trying your modem in the BT master socket with all
internal wiring disconnected to see if your line back to the exchange is
capable of anything more. No harm in trying. I honestly didn't expect to
get anything at all since my internal wiring is very simple and good
quality new cable but the difference was +50% on sync rate.

The bell wire hack worked wonders here much to my surprise and I suspect
it will work for many of my neighbours too. There is some poor soul just
down the road with only 256kbps. Being on the wrong side of the beck
from the exchange is an automatic -1Mbps rate loss too.

It may be relevant that we are fairly close to a TV transmitter.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown