Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Broadband Speed Test

"John Williamson" wrote in message
Thumper wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Thumper
scribeth thus

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Virgin is probably the fastest unless you go for BT Infinity, both are
faster due to the fibre optic to the closest possible point of course.
The
snag with all of this is that often the net itself gets clogged up and
one
cannot actually do much about that.

Something that niggles me is that I lose the connection at least 3 or 4
times a week. It's just a case of reconnecting to the router to get
back on
line but I do wonder am I just losing the wireless link between my
laptop
and the router or is it the internet connection I keep losing for 30
seconds? Very occassionally I have to do a complete power down and
restart
to get connected.

My nephew says I should get a VM engineer to come out and fix the line
everytime it happens but I guess they would only come out if the
internet
became unuseable.

Can you not cable connect it to the router for a while and see?.

I could. Probably try that next time the wireless connection kicks me
offline. As luck would have it I've not had a problem since this thread
was started.

Also how much 2.4 G radio use is there where U live?..

How do I check / find out?

Install Net Stumbler on your PC.:-

http://www.netstumbler.com/

That will tell you about all the wi-fi networks in your area. It's only a
start though, as Bluetooth also uses the band, as do video senders, some
remote controls and a lot of other stuff.

I'll give that a go, sounds interesting. Bit late to do it now. Just got
home from watching a session at that big event in Stratford. Up and down
like yo-yos for national anthems. Highlights of the evening; a dwarf
throwing a discus 45m and almost hitting a cameraman. Home secretary Theresa
May being booed. And David Weir winning gold in the 1500m wheelchair race.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Broadband Speed Test [LONG]

On 04/09/2012 09:22, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

On 03/09/2012 13:01, Andy Burns wrote:

# SHOW DSL INTERFACE AT0

I presume that you telnet into the modem/router and then use this
incantation?

Yes, telnet/ssh/serial console, but only applicable to a 'real' Cisco,
not to Linksys aka Cisco.

Routerstats lite lets me plot SNR / speed vs time but I can't see
anywhere that lets me obtain a frequency domain plot/data out.

I probably got confused between RouterStats and the DMT tool (I don't
use either) check if any of the varying versions support your router

http://dmt.mhilfe.de/

Thanks for this. Sadly not. I might try to borrow one in the list of
supported modems as it would be interesting to see the profile.

My router completely refuses telnet connections so it is a non starter.

Running routerstatslite has still been quite informative though.

I had no idea by how much my sync speed was flitting up and down during
the day as the dew burns off the cables until I ran it all yesterday
(4032 early on to as high as 5256 all at nominal 6dB SNR).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Well a very good friend of mine says different to what you do and as
he's worked for them for some time..

So you have a friend that's worked for Virgin for some time and he claims
that they want users to mess with the CM and BRAS profiles?
A likely story.

No Dennis. I did not say that. Quite the reverse. I'll spell it out for
you. There is nothing you can do to or alter or enhance the performance
of the cable modem. You can only alter such things as the RF side on a
wireless one.

There are lots of things that can be altered on a cable modem.
If you know how.
How do you think they set the downstream channels and upstream channels if
there is nothing to change?
It would be a pretty poor system if they couldn't have more than one channel
on a segment.

Well then Dennis tell us either how you can do it or a detailed
description of what you can do as my mate who engineers these systems
wonders if your talking about the same systems.

And things that will benefit the user such as higher speeds or a more
reliable connection..

So lets hear it, don't be shy....

Now stop twisting words when you are losing an argument...

I can't lose, I am not arguing with you.
I just read what you said.

And misinterpreted it all.!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message

So lets hear it, don't be shy...

I am not going to argue with your "friend".
You can go and find out yourself.

I can't lose, I am not arguing with you.
I just read what you said.

And misinterpreted it all.!...

No, I replied to what you said.
If you didn't mean to say what you said then you need to be more careful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
On Sep 1, 2:02 pm, "Thumper" wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message

Virgin is probably the fastest unless you go for BT Infinity, both are
faster due to the fibre optic to the closest possible point of course.
The
snag with all of this is that often the net itself gets clogged up and
one
cannot actually do much about that.

Something that niggles me is that I lose the connection at least 3 or 4
times a week. It's just a case of reconnecting to the router to get back
on
line but I do wonder am I just losing the wireless link between my laptop
and the router

That happens to me (loss of wireless connection), but only with the
laptop (2 differemt ones in fact). Kids desktop with USB wireless
dongle is fine, but I have to reboot the modem/router to sort out the
lost connection.

Does it coincode with microwave oven use?

No, it's quite random.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, September 3, 2012 7:22:56 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

Things have got worse rather than better during the course of two copper
thefts and the upgrade to ADSL2+, I use an ADSL1 router now to keep the
disconnect/reconnect rate down, and accept slower performance than before ...

It was ADSL2+ in particular that I had in mind but you've clearly ruled out specific equipment issues.

If there are other benefits in your doing so, many ADSL2+ modems/routers can be made to operate in ADSL1 or alternatively your ISP should be able to force the connection type.

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote:

If there are other benefits in your doing so, many ADSL2+
modems/routers can be made to operate in ADSL1

Yes, might wring a bit more speed out of the line than the Cisco 803
does, I suppose.

or alternatively your ISP should be able to force the connection
type.

Yes, I've seen the ISP offering to downgrade people back to ADSL1, with
the proviso that one day they'll be dropping ADSL1 service so have to
upgrade again, I'm hoping for FTTC to beat that day :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"tony sayer" wrote in message

So lets hear it, don't be shy...

I am not going to argue with your "friend".

No dense - of course you're not

You can go and find out yourself.

No answer then ... as usual, slithering out of another lost argument

I can't lose, I am not arguing with you.
I just read what you said.

And misinterpreted it all.!...

No, I replied to what you said.
If you didn't mean to say what you said then you need to be more careful.

Slither, slither

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
On Sep 1, 2:02 pm, "Thumper" wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message

[...]

Cooked 2 Sainsburys microwaveable meals tonight and the laptop stayed
connected

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message

So lets hear it, don't be shy...

I am not going to argue with your "friend".

No, I wonder why;?..

You can go and find out yourself.

I know what I need to know but do you?..

I can't lose, I am not arguing with you.
I just read what you said.

And misinterpreted it all.!...

No, I replied to what you said.
If you didn't mean to say what you said then you need to be more careful.

Dennis stop twisting .. you'll screw yourself up stupid;!..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message

So lets hear it, don't be shy...

I am not going to argue with your "friend".

No, I wonder why;?..

Because I don't argue with imaginary people.
He is obviously imaginary or his knowledge wouldn't be as limited as yours
is.

You can go and find out yourself.

I know what I need to know but do you?..

That doesn't really matter does it, I know how to find out stuff I need to
know.
You can't even manage basic stuff even with help from a "friend".

I can't lose, I am not arguing with you.
I just read what you said.

And misinterpreted it all.!...

No, I replied to what you said.
If you didn't mean to say what you said then you need to be more careful.

Dennis stop twisting .. you'll screw yourself up stupid;!..

A hypocrite as well as someone with "friends".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message

So lets hear it, don't be shy...

I am not going to argue with your "friend".

No, I wonder why;?..

Because I don't argue with imaginary people.
He is obviously imaginary or his knowledge wouldn't be as limited as yours
is.

You can go and find out yourself.

I know what I need to know but do you?..

That doesn't really matter does it, I know how to find out stuff I need to
know.
You can't even manage basic stuff even with help from a "friend".

I can't lose, I am not arguing with you.
I just read what you said.

And misinterpreted it all.!...

No, I replied to what you said.
If you didn't mean to say what you said then you need to be more careful.

Dennis stop twisting .. you'll screw yourself up stupid;!..

A hypocrite as well as someone with "friends".

Dennis .. go get your pill's now!.

And be quick about it, theres a good chap!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Williamson" wrote in message
Thumper wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Thumper
scribeth thus

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

Finally found the time to download it. Can't see how you run it, but did
notice an access denied at the bottom. Tried to read the help file but
doesn't actually say what to do. I guess its wardriving that I'm wanting to
do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:30:02 +0100, polygonum wrote:

I have similar with VM. I'm on 10 meg and it's supposed to 20 meg but it
isn't :-( Still on 10 every time I check. I don't understand it :-(

Are you supposed to be getting that now or only after the "speed
doubling"
program - which is not going to completed until at least late next year?

When I enter my postcode at the VM website it says :-

"Your area is ready"

"Congratulations! The new double speed boosts are already up and running
in
your area."

So I assume my speed should have doubled - but it hasn't :-(

When VM first announced they were doubling everyones broadband speeds I
checked the website which said my area was due to be upgraded this month. I
checked again recently and it said because of difficulties my area is now
scheduled for August 2013. I'm currently on the 10mb package, so I'm
thinking about changing to one of their "Collections" that will give me 60mb
for about the same monthly tariff. But will I actually get anywhere near
60mb?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thumper" wrote:

I'm currently on the 10mb package, so I'm thinking about changing to one
of their "Collections" that will give me 60mb for about the same monthly
tariff. But will I actually get anywhere near 60mb?

Who knows? I've got two VM connections - one at my house, one at mum's,
both in Edinburgh.

The connection at my house is theoretically a 30 Mbps one doubled to 60
Mbps. The connection at mum's is a 10 Mb one, possibly doubled - I'm not
sure. I actually get the same speed at both, peaking, when I'm lucky, at
about 10 Mbps.

There is one useful difference though - the traffic-shaping threshholds are
much higher on the 30/60 Mbps link and I find I never hit them, whereas I do
get the slow-downs when I'm using the link at mum's house.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 14:53:54 +0100, Thumper wrote:

But will I actually get anywhere near 60mb?

60 milli bits per what?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 14:53:54 +0100, Thumper wrote:

But will I actually get anywhere near 60mb?

60 milli bits per what?

femto-parsec

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2012 14:53, Thumper wrote:

[...]

Says we are scheduled for speed doubling December 2012 to February 2013.
At present we get a reliable 20 MB down - 2 MB up. But their packages
start at 30 MB... So somewhat confusing.

It does seem that something changed in the past few weeks - we were
getting some relatively slow periods (perception - I am not into running
a speed check the moment a page takes a second or two longer to
download). And now is seems solid.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Thumper wrote:
When VM first announced they were doubling everyones broadband speeds I
checked the website which said my area was due to be upgraded this
month. I checked again recently and it said because of difficulties my
area is now scheduled for August 2013. I'm currently on the 10mb
package, so I'm thinking about changing to one of their "Collections"
that will give me 60mb for about the same monthly tariff. But will I
actually get anywhere near 60mb?

I changed from Pipex(TalkTalk) to BT fibre recently. Reported speed
changed from around 8Mb to 45 Mb. Seems to make absolutely no difference
in practice.

--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:

Says we are scheduled for speed doubling December 2012 to February 2013.
At present we get a reliable 20 MB down - 2 MB up. But their packages
start at 30 MB... So somewhat confusing.

You don't mean MB (megabytes), but Mb (megabits), approximately a tenth of a
MB figure.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

We had an upgrade to 30 Meg the other month and every time I've speed
tested it its been 30 right on the line!..

Course there will still be server delays at the other end etc...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2012 17:57, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:
polygonum wrote:

Says we are scheduled for speed doubling December 2012 to February 2013.
At present we get a reliable 20 MB down - 2 MB up. But their packages
start at 30 MB... So somewhat confusing.

You don't mean MB (megabytes), but Mb (megabits), approximately a tenth of a
MB figure.

I do indeed.

And now I have found the right page, we on M or L with 20 Mb will be
doubled to 20 Mb. So that's something exciting and worth waiting for.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Thumper wrote:
When VM first announced they were doubling everyones broadband speeds I
checked the website which said my area was due to be upgraded this
month. I checked again recently and it said because of difficulties my
area is now scheduled for August 2013. I'm currently on the 10mb
package, so I'm thinking about changing to one of their "Collections"
that will give me 60mb for about the same monthly tariff. But will I
actually get anywhere near 60mb?

I changed from Pipex(TalkTalk) to BT fibre recently. Reported speed
changed from around 8Mb to 45 Mb. Seems to make absolutely no difference
in practice.

Yeah, VM sent me from 10Mb to 20Mb. I only knew because I did a speed test.
Then they gave me 30Mb. If they had not emailed me and let me know I would
never have guessed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 14:53:54 +0100, Thumper wrote:

But will I actually get anywhere near 60mb?

60 milli bits per what?

per second