Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Broadband Speed Test

Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Virgin is probably the fastest unless you go for BT Infinity, both are
faster due to the fibre optic to the closest possible point of course. The
snag with all of this is that often the net itself gets clogged up and one
cannot actually do much about that.

Brian

Email:

"MM" wrote in message
news
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Virgin is probably the fastest unless you go for BT Infinity, both are

Do remember that Infinity is just BT's name for their FTTC service -
there are many other ISPs that can use the same infrastructure - and
many IMO are much much better than BT retail.

Of-course BT will have you think otherwise, but there you go.

Also remember it's not just top-speed that counts. Think of network
congestion, throttling, customer service, etc.

The niche ISPs like Zen, etc. typically don't indulge in this sort of
stuff, of when they do, it's very well pulicised with defined limits
rather than some wooly unpublished AUP..

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Virgin is probably the fastest unless you go for BT Infinity, both are
faster due to the fibre optic to the closest possible point of course. The
snag with all of this is that often the net itself gets clogged up and one
cannot actually do much about that.

Something that niggles me is that I lose the connection at least 3 or 4
times a week. It's just a case of reconnecting to the router to get back on
line but I do wonder am I just losing the wireless link between my laptop
and the router or is it the internet connection I keep losing for 30
seconds? Very occassionally I have to do a complete power down and restart
to get connected.

My nephew says I should get a VM engineer to come out and fix the line
everytime it happens but I guess they would only come out if the internet
became unuseable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 14:01:56 +0100, Thumper wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Virgin is probably the fastest unless you go for BT Infinity, both are
faster due to the fibre optic to the closest possible point of course.
The snag with all of this is that often the net itself gets clogged up
and one cannot actually do much about that.

Something that niggles me is that I lose the connection at least 3 or 4
times a week. It's just a case of reconnecting to the router to get back
on line but I do wonder am I just losing the wireless link between my
laptop and the router or is it the internet connection I keep losing for
30 seconds? Very occassionally I have to do a complete power down and
restart to get connected.

My nephew says I should get a VM engineer to come out and fix the line
everytime it happens but I guess they would only come out if the
internet became unuseable.

Do you have a separate router and modem? We do so can detect and check
what has happened. But we do not see many disconnections of either sort -
certainly not several times a week. And that is despite a load of other
wireless users within quite a short distance. So maybe at least talk to VM
and get them to look from their end?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

Yes a Cisco router and a seperate modem supplied by VM when we took their
cable broadband service. They have a sticker on the modem which reads "if
connection is lost turn off pc and modem at the mains, wait 30 secs, turn on
modem, wait 30 secs, turn on pc. This fixes the problem most of the time".
As I said before I've only had to be that drastic on very few occassions.
Think I will get on to them next time I get a problem.

Does it make a difference if you have many devices connected to the router?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 22:32:00 +0100, Thumper wrote:

news
wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

Same sticker. Same pillock advice. I don't think we have ever had to
reboot a PC - or a Mac - or an Android - or TV - to get things working. In
fact, I am struggling to remember ever actually having to reboot the
router. But the modem, yes, maybe every few months. Really rarely twice in
a day or so.

And we have sometimes seven or maybe more devices connecting to the router.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Thumper
scribeth thus

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Virgin is probably the fastest unless you go for BT Infinity, both are
faster due to the fibre optic to the closest possible point of course. The
snag with all of this is that often the net itself gets clogged up and one
cannot actually do much about that.

Something that niggles me is that I lose the connection at least 3 or 4
times a week. It's just a case of reconnecting to the router to get back on
line but I do wonder am I just losing the wireless link between my laptop
and the router or is it the internet connection I keep losing for 30
seconds? Very occassionally I have to do a complete power down and restart
to get connected.

My nephew says I should get a VM engineer to come out and fix the line
everytime it happens but I guess they would only come out if the internet
became unuseable.

Can you not cable connect it to the router for a while and see?.

Also how much 2.4 G radio use is there where U live?..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Thumper
scribeth thus

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

I could. Probably try that next time the wireless connection kicks me
offline. As luck would have it I've not had a problem since this thread was
started.

Also how much 2.4 G radio use is there where U live?..

How do I check / find out?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thumper wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Thumper
scribeth thus

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

Install Net Stumbler on your PC.:-

http://www.netstumbler.com/

That will tell you about all the wi-fi networks in your area. It's only
a start though, as Bluetooth also uses the band, as do video senders,
some remote controls and a lot of other stuff.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 1, 2:02*pm, "Thumper" wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message

Virgin is probably the fastest unless you go for BT Infinity, both are
faster due to the fibre optic to the closest possible point of course. The
snag with all of this is that often the net itself gets clogged up and one
cannot actually do much about that.

Something that niggles me is that I lose the connection at least 3 or 4
times a week. It's just a case of reconnecting to the router to get back on
line but I do wonder am I just losing the wireless link between my laptop
and the router

That happens to me (loss of wireless connection), but only with the
laptop (2 differemt ones in fact). Kids desktop with USB wireless
dongle is fine, but I have to reboot the modem/router to sort out the
lost connection.

Does it coincode with microwave oven use?

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
On Sep 1, 2:02 pm, "Thumper" wrote:

[...]

No, it's quite random.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
On Sep 1, 2:02 pm, "Thumper" wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message

[...]

Cooked 2 Sainsburys microwaveable meals tonight and the laptop stayed
connected

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
news
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM

I got 9.8mb downloand and 1.0mb upload on my Virginmedia 10mb connection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:57:07 +0100, "Thumper"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
news
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM

I got 9.8mb downloand and 1.0mb upload on my Virginmedia 10mb connection.

So... 10.1Mb is pretty good, no?

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 12:01:35 +0100, MM wrote:

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:57:07 +0100, "Thumper"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
news
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM

I got 9.8mb downloand and 1.0mb upload on my Virginmedia 10mb
connection.

So... 10.1Mb is pretty good, no?

Pretty reasonable for straight ADSL.

And about a billion times better than Thumper!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2012 11:26, MM wrote:
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

The actual speed shouldn't (in theory) change regardless of which ISP
you use. It's the wire (interanal and external) and distance from the
exchange that makes the difference.
I've always found on-line estimated speeds generally lower than what the
line is capable of supplying.

So I would suggest if you had Sky or BT the speed would be the same as
you are getting on Zen.

Differences occur in peak time speeds (connection saturation) traffic
management (shaping) and other factors an on-line test won't tell you about.

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

Ask a few neighbours and compare.
If you are getting 10Mbps on an estimated 6Mbps then it sounds pretty
good to me. (average on a nationwide scale I'd suggest)

Plenty fast enough to get on-line content i-player etc. but upload speed
would limit how many usable skype style connections could be supported,
especially if no traffic priority rules are in place (router managed)
and the local network is being shared by multiple simultaneous users as
found in a busy family home on an evening.

HTH
Pete

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.gymratz.co.uk/books/ Fat loss and nutrition books

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2012 12:02, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

It's the wire (interanal and external)

Ha, obviously not inter-anal !

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.gymratz.co.uk/rapid-fatloss-book - NOT for general dieters!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

On 31/08/2012 11:26, MM wrote:

Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

The actual speed shouldn't (in theory) change regardless of which ISP
you use. It's the wire (interanal and external) and distance from the
exchange that makes the difference.

LLU providers can vary (they might have ADSL2 before BT does for
example, and BT tend to use more conservative settingswhich don't push
the line so hard).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

They're only estimates, designed to encourage you to vote with your wallet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2012 11:26, MM wrote:
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

After you do the test it should offer you the option to see how you
compare with your local street or village average shown on a map.
ISTR called Streetstats or something like that.

It can be very informative. My old speed was the highest in the village
to begin with and after the bell wire tweak I am 50% better off now. I
am on the end of a long piece of very old wet string in rural Yorks so
3Mbps is very good. No prospect of new real copper circuits up here.
(and fibre to cabinet would get the response "what cabinet")

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

After you do the test it should offer you the option to see how you
compare with your local street or village average shown on a map.
ISTR called Streetstats or something like that.

It can be very informative.

It does make you wonder what some of the people have done wrong.
You can get virgin tests that go down as low as 0.6Mb/s even though the
slowest connection they offer is 10mb/s and distance should not affect the
throughput.

Likewise you can get adjacent ADSL where one sub gets ~16M and the one next
door gets 1M.
It goes to show that the subs kit must be making a lot of difference.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

After you do the test it should offer you the option to see how you
compare with your local street or village average shown on a map.
ISTR called Streetstats or something like that.

It can be very informative.

It does make you wonder what some of the people have done wrong.
You can get virgin tests that go down as low as 0.6Mb/s even though the
slowest connection they offer is 10mb/s and distance should not affect
the throughput.

Likewise you can get adjacent ADSL where one sub gets ~16M and the one
next door gets 1M.
It goes to show that the subs kit must be making a lot of difference.

no, it just shows that the paths to different exchanges have to end up
close togather at some poimt
And all copper wires and points are not created equal

LLU customers do get different kit, but not THAT different, In the end
its down to the length and quality of the copper.

But then I realised who I was replying to and as usual, you are wrong

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2012 20:19, The Natural Philosopher wrote: dennis@home wrote:

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

After you do the test it should offer you the option to see how you
compare with your local street or village average shown on a map.
ISTR called Streetstats or something like that.

It can be very informative.

It does make you wonder what some of the people have done wrong.
You can get virgin tests that go down as low as 0.6Mb/s even though
the slowest connection they offer is 10mb/s and distance should not
affect the throughput.

Likewise you can get adjacent ADSL where one sub gets ~16M and the one
next door gets 1M.
It goes to show that the subs kit must be making a lot of difference.

Round here it mostly correlates with distance to the exchange with the
folk who live next door getting astonishing performance. But there are
strange blackspots connected to good exchanges with lousy performance.

no, it just shows that the paths to different exchanges have to end up
close togather at some poimt
And all copper wires and points are not created equal

I think there is an element of serious household dependency present
depending on how old and complicated the internal phone wiring is. It
only takes one dodgy joint in the entire path and throughput is
crippled. A neighbouring village has a maximum download speed of 512k
and the average speed would be beaten by bonded ISDN. Not surprisingly
they are an experimental zone for high speed internet over microwave.

LLU customers do get different kit, but not THAT different, In the end
its down to the length and quality of the copper.

But then I realised who I was replying to and as usual, you are wrong

I reckon it is worth trying your modem in the BT master socket with all
internal wiring disconnected to see if your line back to the exchange is
capable of anything more. No harm in trying. I honestly didn't expect to
get anything at all since my internal wiring is very simple and good
quality new cable but the difference was +50% on sync rate.

The bell wire hack worked wonders here much to my surprise and I suspect
it will work for many of my neighbours too. There is some poor soul just
down the road with only 256kbps. Being on the wrong side of the beck
from the exchange is an automatic -1Mbps rate loss too.

It may be relevant that we are fairly close to a TV transmitter.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 21:53:16 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

It may be relevant that we are fairly close to a TV transmitter.

A TV transmitter shouldn't make much difference but MW ones will.
R4 Tyne 603, R5 Live 693, R Cumbria 756, R Scotland 810, R Cumbria 837,
Talksport 1053 & 1089 are all currently putting dips in the number of
symbols that the carriers near those frequencies can carry. Probably
knocking 0.5 to 1Mbps off the sync speed.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Martin Brown |||newspam|||@
nezumi.demon.co.uk scribeth thus
[...]

Prolly some questionable cabling from BT..

no, it just shows that the paths to different exchanges have to end up
close togather at some poimt
And all copper wires and points are not created equal

I think there is an element of serious household dependency present
depending on how old and complicated the internal phone wiring is. It
only takes one dodgy joint in the entire path and throughput is
crippled. A neighbouring village has a maximum download speed of 512k
and the average speed would be beaten by bonded ISDN. Not surprisingly
they are an experimental zone for high speed internet over microwave.

Which can work well provided there aren't too many obstructions around
like Trees they can kill that..

LLU customers do get different kit, but not THAT different, In the end
its down to the length and quality of the copper.

But then I realised who I was replying to and as usual, you are wrong

I reckon it is worth trying your modem in the BT master socket with all
internal wiring disconnected to see if your line back to the exchange is
capable of anything more. No harm in trying. I honestly didn't expect to
get anything at all since my internal wiring is very simple and good
quality new cable but the difference was +50% on sync rate.

The bell wire hack worked wonders here much to my surprise and I suspect
it will work for many of my neighbours too. There is some poor soul just
down the road with only 256kbps. Being on the wrong side of the beck
from the exchange is an automatic -1Mbps rate loss too.

It may be relevant that we are fairly close to a TV transmitter.

Doubt that would have anything to do with it. That radiation will be
above your heads, they go to some lengths to make sure of that. Its very
expensive to produce, they don't want to waste it illuminating the
ground!..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

After you do the test it should offer you the option to see how you
compare with your local street or village average shown on a map.
ISTR called Streetstats or something like that.

It can be very informative.

It does make you wonder what some of the people have done wrong.
You can get virgin tests that go down as low as 0.6Mb/s even though the
slowest connection they offer is 10mb/s and distance should not affect
the throughput.

Likewise you can get adjacent ADSL where one sub gets ~16M and the one
next door gets 1M.
It goes to show that the subs kit must be making a lot of difference.

no, it just shows that the paths to different exchanges have to end up
close togather at some poimt

Except I know they don't go to different exchanges.

And all copper wires and points are not created equal

LLU customers do get different kit, but not THAT different, In the end its
down to the length and quality of the copper.

But then I realised who I was replying to and as usual, you are wrong

As usual you are wrong again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

After you do the test it should offer you the option to see how you
compare with your local street or village average shown on a map.
ISTR called Streetstats or something like that.

It can be very informative.

It does make you wonder what some of the people have done wrong.
You can get virgin tests that go down as low as 0.6Mb/s even though the
slowest connection they offer is 10mb/s and distance should not affect the
throughput.

They do sometimes supply over copper as ADSL Den...

Likewise you can get adjacent ADSL where one sub gets ~16M and the one next
door gets 1M.
It goes to show that the subs kit must be making a lot of difference.

Depends on who does it what time of day etc...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message

It does make you wonder what some of the people have done wrong.
You can get virgin tests that go down as low as 0.6Mb/s even though the
slowest connection they offer is 10mb/s and distance should not affect
the
throughput.

They do sometimes supply over copper as ADSL Den...

Not in cabled areas.

Likewise you can get adjacent ADSL where one sub gets ~16M and the one
next
door gets 1M.
It goes to show that the subs kit must be making a lot of difference.

Depends on who does it what time of day etc...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message

It does make you wonder what some of the people have done wrong.
You can get virgin tests that go down as low as 0.6Mb/s even though the
slowest connection they offer is 10mb/s and distance should not affect
the
throughput.

They do sometimes supply over copper as ADSL Den...

Not in cabled areas.

What do you not understand about the word "sometimes" ?...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 31, 11:26*am, MM wrote:
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb *Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM

Test or estimate? How can you "test" a Sky or BT connection when you
are connected to Zen?

Something not quite right here.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2012 12:23, Man at B&Q wrote:
On Aug 31, 11:26 am, MM wrote:
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM

Test or estimate? How can you "test" a Sky or BT connection when you
are connected to Zen?

Something not quite right here.

It shows what other nearby customers on the same exchange or postcode
are getting on average (provided it is statistically significant).

The map shows individual sample points ISP & speed geographically.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My results (with PlusNet) are 3.6Mb download, 0.3Mb upload. So I'm very
envious...

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Bert Coules" writes:
My results (with PlusNet) are 3.6Mb download, 0.3Mb upload. So I'm very
envious...

My line is running at 21Mbit/s. I get 17.7 down, 0.9 up.
I'm probably slightly under half a mile from the exchange.

If it wasn't so good, I could justify upgrading to FTTC.
My brother just did that in London, and now gets 76M down
(can't remember what the 'up' is).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

hard to tell. All they tell me is that you are close to the exchange.

MM

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 13:04:44 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

MM wrote:
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

hard to tell. All they tell me is that you are close to the exchange.

That indeed! The story goes like this: I am in one of the most rural
parts of Lincs. No shops, no scheduled bus service, around 250
dwellings. When I moved in (2004), the builder/seller said,
"Broadband? No problem, John!" He then went on to spin me a line about
how BT "...had promised to install BB Real Soon Now..." All a pack of
lies. There was no BB in the village.

For a couple of years I was logging on to that web site where all the
lost souls in search of BB go, to see when/if any BB was planned
anytime soon. There was potentially something pencilled in for a
couple of years later.

And then, one day dawned and we were surprised to see the area
inundated with BT/Openreach vans laying cables like the dickens. Our
lonely, isolated, ancient, unmanned brick exchange building about the
size of a large garage took on a whole new meaning as it is within
walking distance.

Suddenly BB was available and it appears (on the figure I have
provided) to be pretty snappy.

To this day, no one around here knows what prompted BT to change tack.
What I reckon is, someone either rich and/or famous moved into the
village and demanded BB and BT said, "Tomorrow soon enough for ya?"

The line is ultra reliable, too. I've no idea whether fibre was used
in any part of it.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

To this day, no one around here knows what prompted BT to change tack.
What I reckon is, someone either rich and/or famous moved into the
village and demanded BB and BT said, "Tomorrow soon enough for ya?"

yep. I saw an openreach fvan laying cables - 'whats up?' 'run out. Bloke
up the hill wants more circuits' well l we have a greek billionaire and
an American hedge fund manager that way.

So when I had issues with my line, the engineer said 'there's lots of
spare pairs of new cable I can use!

The line is ultra reliable, too. I've no idea whether fibre was used
in any part of it.

Probably because there's only one join in it.

I am maxed out at a synch of about 4.5Mbps

MM

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 31, 2:09*pm, MM wrote:

To this day, no one around here knows what prompted BT to change tack.
What I reckon is, someone either rich and/or famous moved into the
village and demanded BB and BT said, "Tomorrow soon enough for ya?"

In our village it was a group getting very serious about installing a
wireless network for the village. Maybe coincidence, but, all of a
sudden, BT decided we could have BB after all. It took while longer
for LLU to arrive.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Aug 31, 2:09 pm, MM wrote:

To this day, no one around here knows what prompted BT to change tack.
What I reckon is, someone either rich and/or famous moved into the
village and demanded BB and BT said, "Tomorrow soon enough for ya?"

In our village it was a group getting very serious about installing a
wireless network for the village. Maybe coincidence, but, all of a
sudden, BT decided we could have BB after all. It took while longer
for LLU to arrive.

That generally works.

MBQ

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM explained :
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

Rather depends what package you're on. For instance, I'm on BT Infinity
2 and get a rock-solid connection, the last speedtest of which showed
75.97Mbps down and 15.69Mbps up. If I was to get your figures on my
package then something would be sadly wrong, but for your package those
figures may be good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2012 11:26, MM wrote:
Just went to USwitch and used their online broadband speed test. My
Zen connection returns: Download = 10.1Mb Upload = 0.3Mb

This download speed is way faster than the closest competitors Sky
(6Mb) or BT (5.3Mb).

Do my figures represent good BB performance? Average? Poor?

MM

Seems okay, I get 9.8mb download and 1.0mb upload on Virgin, we have the
10mb package so I'm impressed

--
David