Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thumper[_2_] Thumper[_2_] is offline

Default Broadband Speed Test

"polygonum" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 14:01:56 +0100, Thumper
wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Virgin is probably the fastest unless you go for BT Infinity, both are
faster due to the fibre optic to the closest possible point of course.
The snag with all of this is that often the net itself gets clogged up
and one cannot actually do much about that.

Something that niggles me is that I lose the connection at least 3 or 4
times a week. It's just a case of reconnecting to the router to get back
on line but I do wonder am I just losing the wireless link between my
laptop and the router or is it the internet connection I keep losing for
30 seconds? Very occassionally I have to do a complete power down and
restart to get connected.

My nephew says I should get a VM engineer to come out and fix the line
everytime it happens but I guess they would only come out if the
internet became unuseable.

Do you have a separate router and modem? We do so can detect and check
what has happened. But we do not see many disconnections of either sort -
certainly not several times a week. And that is despite a load of other
wireless users within quite a short distance. So maybe at least talk to VM
and get them to look from their end?

Yes a Cisco router and a seperate modem supplied by VM when we took their
cable broadband service. They have a sticker on the modem which reads "if
connection is lost turn off pc and modem at the mains, wait 30 secs, turn on
modem, wait 30 secs, turn on pc. This fixes the problem most of the time".
As I said before I've only had to be that drastic on very few occassions.
Think I will get on to them next time I get a problem.

Does it make a difference if you have many devices connected to the router?