Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default Broadband Speed Test

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 22:32:00 +0100, Thumper wrote:

"polygonum" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 14:01:56 +0100, Thumper
wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Virgin is probably the fastest unless you go for BT Infinity, both
are faster due to the fibre optic to the closest possible point of
course. The snag with all of this is that often the net itself gets
clogged up and one cannot actually do much about that.

Something that niggles me is that I lose the connection at least 3 or
4 times a week. It's just a case of reconnecting to the router to get
back on line but I do wonder am I just losing the wireless link
between my laptop and the router or is it the internet connection I
keep losing for 30 seconds? Very occassionally I have to do a
complete power down and restart to get connected.

My nephew says I should get a VM engineer to come out and fix the line
everytime it happens but I guess they would only come out if the
internet became unuseable.

Do you have a separate router and modem? We do so can detect and check
what has happened. But we do not see many disconnections of either sort
- certainly not several times a week. And that is despite a load of
other wireless users within quite a short distance. So maybe at least
talk to VM and get them to look from their end?

Yes a Cisco router and a seperate modem supplied by VM when we took
their cable broadband service. They have a sticker on the modem which
reads "if connection is lost turn off pc and modem at the mains, wait 30
secs, turn on modem, wait 30 secs, turn on pc. This fixes the problem
most of the time". As I said before I've only had to be that drastic on
very few occassions. Think I will get on to them next time I get a
problem.

Does it make a difference if you have many devices connected to the
router?

Same sticker. Same pillock advice. I don't think we have ever had to
reboot a PC - or a Mac - or an Android - or TV - to get things working. In
fact, I am struggling to remember ever actually having to reboot the
router. But the modem, yes, maybe every few months. Really rarely twice in
a day or so.

And we have sometimes seven or maybe more devices connecting to the router.

--
Rod