Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Broadband Speed Test

Ian Jackson wrote:

I was a bit dubious about what would happen when they upgraded to
ADSL2+, as it could have been counterproductive on a slow line. I was
relieved when I found there were no problems, and that it was now
occasionally up to 1.8Mb/s. My upstream went up from 350kb/s to nearly
800. However, over time, the downstream speed seems to have drifted
downwards, and now it never exceeds the original 1.4Mb/s.

which is then all te line will reliably do. :-(

While I suppose it could be possible that my ISP has capped my speed in
order to make sure that it works reliably without wasting time doing too
many error corrections, I believe that my 1.4Mb/s is pretty much par for
the course in my road. [BTW, bell wire disconnection made no difference
at all.]

Both are true except is OPENREACH who do the capping unless you are LLUed

BT/Openreach have recently finished running fibre into the village, and
have installed two or three cabinets (presumably to house DSLAMs).
However, there are no signs yet of any work being done to re-route any
of the existing copper to the cabinets. Of course, they might be going
to not bother, and simply use the updated system for new installations.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.