Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ungrateful *******s

I got a call this morning from a building firm I work with about a customer
with no HW or CH.

As it was Sunday morning and I live local to the job (everyone else is at
least 20 miles away) the owner of the firm called me and asked if I would
nip round for a quick look.

I went round and fixed the fixed the problem. However I was looking after my
girlfriend's 5 year old lad at the time so I took him with me.

The ungrateful *******s later phoned the company back to tell them I was
unprofessional by taking a child to work with me. That phone call moved them
from a "free courtesy call out" to a "billed call out" as they could have
fixed the problem themselves. With a bit of luck they will get the bill on
Tuesday morning:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
I got a call this morning from a building firm I work with about a
customer with no HW or CH.

As it was Sunday morning and I live local to the job (everyone else
is at least 20 miles away) the owner of the firm called me and asked
if I would nip round for a quick look.

I went round and fixed the fixed the problem. However I was looking
after my girlfriend's 5 year old lad at the time so I took him with
me.
The ungrateful *******s later phoned the company back to tell them I
was unprofessional by taking a child to work with me. That phone call
moved them from a "free courtesy call out" to a "billed call out" as
they could have fixed the problem themselves. With a bit of luck they
will get the bill on Tuesday morning:-)

Well done that man, bloody cheeky scrotes!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 16:54:04 -0000, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

I got a call this morning from a building firm I work with about a customer
with no HW or CH.

As it was Sunday morning and I live local to the job (everyone else is at
least 20 miles away) the owner of the firm called me and asked if I would
nip round for a quick look.

I went round and fixed the fixed the problem. However I was looking after my
girlfriend's 5 year old lad at the time so I took him with me.

The ungrateful *******s later phoned the company back to tell them I was
unprofessional by taking a child to work with me. That phone call moved them
from a "free courtesy call out" to a "billed call out" as they could have
fixed the problem themselves. With a bit of luck they will get the bill on
Tuesday morning:-)

Your description of the clients was most restrained.

Hope the bill is seriously large and you get most of it.

lol!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I got a call this morning from a building firm I work with about a
customer with no HW or CH.

As it was Sunday morning and I live local to the job (everyone else
is at least 20 miles away) the owner of the firm called me and asked
if I would nip round for a quick look.

I went round and fixed the fixed the problem. However I was looking
after my girlfriend's 5 year old lad at the time so I took him with
me.

Did you spend the 30 seconds it would take to explain that to the
customer?

Of course taking kids out on jobs is unprofessional, so you need to
explain that you are only offering to do that as a favour to them. I
guess you are a brilliant plumber who could benefit from a brief
course in bedside manner.

Looks like you could do with a course. Adam is an electrician.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I got a call this morning from a building firm I work with about a
customer with no HW or CH.

As it was Sunday morning and I live local to the job (everyone else
is at least 20 miles away) the owner of the firm called me and asked
if I would nip round for a quick look.

I went round and fixed the fixed the problem. However I was looking
after my girlfriend's 5 year old lad at the time so I took him with
me.

Did you spend the 30 seconds it would take to explain that to the
customer?

I would have thought this was obvious? - it's real life not a monty python
sketch - he's hardly likely to turn up riding a zebra and wearing a clown
costume without explanation

Of course taking kids out on jobs is unprofessional, so you need to
explain that you are only offering to do that as a favour to them. I
guess you are a brilliant plumber who could benefit from a brief
course in bedside manner.

Yes, the customer is always right, except when they're arrogant, snobbish,
ungratelfull tosspots, which sadly seems to be the norm these days rather
than the exception

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I got a call this morning from a building firm I work with about a
customer with no HW or CH.

As it was Sunday morning and I live local to the job (everyone else
is at least 20 miles away) the owner of the firm called me and asked
if I would nip round for a quick look.

I went round and fixed the fixed the problem. However I was looking
after my girlfriend's 5 year old lad at the time so I took him with
me.

Did you spend the 30 seconds it would take to explain that to the
customer?

Of course taking kids out on jobs is unprofessional, so you need to
explain that you are only offering to do that as a favour to them. I
guess you are a brilliant plumber who could benefit from a brief
course in bedside manner.

Looks like you could do with a course. Adam is an electrician.

tho having at least enough wits to be educated, Adam could *easily*
pass as a plumber too (if anyone ever really wants to..)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2010 16:54, ARWadsworth wrote:
I got a call this morning from a building firm I work with about a customer
with no HW or CH.

As it was Sunday morning and I live local to the job (everyone else is at
least 20 miles away) the owner of the firm called me and asked if I would
nip round for a quick look.

I went round and fixed the fixed the problem. However I was looking after my
girlfriend's 5 year old lad at the time so I took him with me.

The ungrateful *******s later phoned the company back to tell them I was
unprofessional by taking a child to work with me. That phone call moved them
from a "free courtesy call out" to a "billed call out" as they could have
fixed the problem themselves. With a bit of luck they will get the bill on
Tuesday morning:-)

Wife phoned our tame local plumber yesterday and he phoned back last
night to find out about the problem we had. (Leaking feed pipe to toilet
cistern.)

To cut the story short, he cut the copper pipe before the bends and
fitted a flexible one and fitted a replacement ball valve assembly, that
I supplied.

When I asked what he wanted for the job, he just said give me £20-00.
I'm going to give him £25-00 and tell him to buy himself a drink.

What with all this cold weather, I expected him to say that he couldn't
fit the job in till after Christmas, or the new year.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

Of course taking kids out on jobs is unprofessional, so you need to explain
that you are only offering to do that as a favour to them. I guess you are a
brilliant plumber who could benefit from a brief course in bedside manner.

Tony

Anyone with an ounce of common sense, would have been delighted to see
someone qualified at such short notice to dig them out of the crap and
willingly occupied the child, whilst the man was busy, even if only in
the selfish hope of minimising the bill. Pompous and stupid to boot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
[...]

I have an old lady customer who gives me a cheque for the bill, then press's
a £1 coin into my hand saying "get yourself a pint on the way home" :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Cap wrote:
Anthony R. Gold wrote:

Of course taking kids out on jobs is unprofessional, so you need to
explain that you are only offering to do that as a favour to them. I
guess you are a brilliant plumber who could benefit from a brief
course in bedside manner. Tony

Anyone with an ounce of common sense, would have been delighted to see
someone qualified at such short notice to dig them out of the crap and
willingly occupied the child, whilst the man was busy, even if only in
the selfish hope of minimising the bill. Pompous and stupid to boot.

I never spoke to the customers before I arrived there. The owner of the firm
had gone through a checklist of possible solutions with the customers before
phoning me. I apologised to the customers when I arrived about having to
bring a 5 year old with me.

What really got my back up was

1. The customers were nice and polite to my face but stuck the knife in when
my back was turned.

2. They were a pair of liars. They had not worked through the checklist with
the owner of the firm when they were on the phone. They just wanted someone
to come out and fix the fault for free.

3. Was I offered a brew? No

4. Why the hell should I have to apologise for turning up on a Sunday
morning to fix an easy fault (a fault caused by the customer)?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I have an old lady customer who gives me a cheque for the bill, then press's
a 1 coin into my hand saying "get yourself a pint on the way home" :-)

I let an elderly neighbour benefit from my outside light
to see to get to her electric scooter. She kept insisting
on paying for the electricity. I told her it was probably
something like a pound - so she dug one out and wouldn't
let me leave without it

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I got a call this morning from a building firm I work with about a
customer with no HW or CH.

As it was Sunday morning and I live local to the job (everyone else
is at least 20 miles away) the owner of the firm called me and asked
if I would nip round for a quick look.

I went round and fixed the fixed the problem. However I was looking
after my girlfriend's 5 year old lad at the time so I took him with
me.

Did you spend the 30 seconds it would take to explain that to the
customer?

Of course taking kids out on jobs is unprofessional, so you need to
explain that you are only offering to do that as a favour to them. I
guess you are a brilliant plumber who could benefit from a brief
course in bedside manner.

Tony

Hi Tony

Of course any regular reader of his newsgroup would already know that I have
spent many hours this winter and the last one helping people out (present
and ex customers) with frozen condensate pipes for free.

For the record my bedside manner is impeccable.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

wrote:

[...]

My thanks and my sympathies.

They are not needed. Keep them for yourself.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 12, 7:09*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

3. Was I offered a brew? No

How much does that put on your bills? 8-)

Round here I even offer coffee if you're just working outside the
house, let alone doing something for me. That coffee has brought me a
couple of downed trees and several lengths of cable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
[...]

She must be very old, bless her. It's the thought that counts.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On Dec 12, 4:54 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
I went round and fixed the fixed the problem. However I was looking after
my
girlfriend's 5 year old lad at the time so I took him with me.
The ungrateful *******s later phoned the company back to tell them I was
unprofessional by taking a child to work with me.

Why not - old enough to carry things and cheaper than a mate.

And fits under the floorboards easier.

Owain

Slightly off topic but re ungrateful....
The other day during the massive freeze up my wife had to go to Tesco for
some stuff.
When she came out there was a queue for taxis about 50 long and very few
taxis, so....
she goes to a few people asking " do you live near such and such"
3 times she was rudely told " the taxi queue is that end! and theres a
queue"!

She eventually shouted out (which is the truth) if nobody wants a fekcin
lift for free then ok. And walked back to her car.

It seems you cant help anybody these days or they complain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2010 19:12, jgharston wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I have an old lady customer who gives me a cheque for the bill, then press's
a 1 coin into my hand saying "get yourself a pint on the way home" :-)

I let an elderly neighbour benefit from my outside light
to see to get to her electric scooter. She kept insisting
on paying for the electricity. I told her it was probably
something like a pound - so she dug one out and wouldn't
let me leave without it

Of course a true professional like TMH would have looked online for the
most expensive rate, then discounted it by 10% and thought he was doing
his customers a favour!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well it is always nice to have a total **** like yourself vent your opinion.
Now do **** off you steaming great ****.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth adamwadswor
scribeth thus
Andy Cap wrote:
Anthony R. Gold wrote:

[...]

Human nature sadly;(..

2. They were a pair of liars. They had not worked through the checklist with
the owner of the firm when they were on the phone. They just wanted someone
to come out and fix the fault for free.

Absolutely par for the course;!..

3. Was I offered a brew? No

Arseholes..

4. Why the hell should I have to apologise for turning up on a Sunday
morning to fix an easy fault (a fault caused by the customer)?

Yes why did you?. Cos you were trying to be helpful and these pratts
didn't or couldn't see that!.

What they really intended was to get a few quid knocked off the bill.
Now that does make sense as -they- see it....

I'm glad I'm long out of dealing with the public nowadays I've done my
time;!....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway Handyman
scribeth thus
Dave wrote:
[...]

Poor old girl!, perhaps you should offer to take her out for a drink
Dave but prolly she'll keel over with shock when she sees what an
expensive hobby that is these days...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , SS
scribeth thus

"Owain" wrote in message
[...]

Seems thats the nature of the public these days;(...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 22:10:48 -0000, SS wrote:

When she came out there was a queue for taxis about 50 long and very few
taxis, so.... she goes to a few people asking " do you live near such
and such" 3 times she was rudely told " the taxi queue is that end! and
theres a queue"!

The exact phrasing of the question is important I expect the people
asked got the impression your wife was looking to share a taxi with
them not offering a lift. Just asking the other peoples destination
without saying why I can easyly see how this misunderstanding came
about.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 22:10:48 -0000, SS wrote:

When she came out there was a queue for taxis about 50 long and very
few taxis, so.... she goes to a few people asking " do you live near
such and such" 3 times she was rudely told " the taxi queue is that
end! and theres a queue"!

The exact phrasing of the question is important I expect the people
asked got the impression your wife was looking to share a taxi with
them not offering a lift. Just asking the other peoples destination
without saying why I can easyly see how this misunderstanding came
about.

Yep, and they were all scared to offer to share "their" taxi.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I guess you're a ****ing ****.

--
Donnie - "**** the world, it's time to fight back"
Honda CB500R "Look out, Donnie's about!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Dec 12, 7:09 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

3. Was I offered a brew? No

How much does that put on your bills? 8-)

Round here I even offer coffee if you're just working outside the
house, let alone doing something for me. That coffee has brought me a
couple of downed trees and several lengths of cable.

IMO there should be a Part Tea in the building regs.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And who the **** are you to voice an opinion?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another ****** who has never been self employed.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Dec 12, 7:12 pm, jgharston wrote:
I let an elderly neighbour benefit from my outside light
to see to get to her electric scooter. She kept insisting
on paying for the electricity. I told her it was probably
something like a pound - so she dug one out and wouldn't
let me leave without it

"Och, son, we'll gae halves. There's ten boab"

I did have a 76 year old lady trying to beat me down on a quote yesterday
:-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Well, I like his opinion Dave. He guessed correctly that Tony Gold is a
****.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I have an old lady customer who gives me a cheque for the bill,
then press's a 1 coin into my hand saying "get yourself a pint on
the way home" :-)

I let an elderly neighbour benefit from my outside light
to see to get to her electric scooter. She kept insisting
on paying for the electricity. I told her it was probably
something like a pound - so she dug one out and wouldn't
let me leave without it

Of course a true professional like TMH would have looked online for
the most expensive rate, then discounted it by 10% and thought he was
doing his customers a favour!

Yawn
Another **** who's never done a day's work in his life, jealous of someoe
who's *earning* a living.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Andy Cap wrote:
Anthony R. Gold wrote:

[...]

So, what was the actual fault ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Andy Cap wrote:
Anthony R. Gold wrote:

[...]

The customers are on a pre payment gas meter and they were out of
gas/credit.

Total ******s IMHO

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I have an old lady customer who gives me a cheque for the bill,
then press's a 1 coin into my hand saying "get yourself a pint on
the way home" :-)

I let an elderly neighbour benefit from my outside light
to see to get to her electric scooter. She kept insisting
on paying for the electricity. I told her it was probably
something like a pound - so she dug one out and wouldn't
let me leave without it

Of course a true professional like TMH would have looked online for
the most expensive rate, then discounted it by 10% and thought he was
doing his customers a favour!

Another ****** who has never been self employed.

Does being self employed justify overcharging your customers?

When I charge expenses to my customer, I charge the actual amount, not
some made up figure.

I charge a separate amount for my expertise and skills.

The customer knows what are the costs of 'me', and can also check on the
specific expenses for the job.

You may choose to do it differently, but it cannot be denied that you're
overcharging the extra costs onto your customers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I have an old lady customer who gives me a cheque for the bill,
then press's a 1 coin into my hand saying "get yourself a pint on
the way home" :-)

I let an elderly neighbour benefit from my outside light
to see to get to her electric scooter. She kept insisting
on paying for the electricity. I told her it was probably
something like a pound - so she dug one out and wouldn't
let me leave without it

Of course a true professional like TMH would have looked online for
the most expensive rate, then discounted it by 10% and thought he was
doing his customers a favour!

Yawn
Another **** who's never done a day's work in his life, jealous of someoe
who's *earning* a living.

As I said to TMH, I agree an agreed charge for my skills, and any extra
expenses are charged at exactly what it costs me.

You may do it differently; but if you do, at least be honest about it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Anyone with a brian cell charges a markup on parts.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I have an old lady customer who gives me a cheque for the bill,
then press's a 1 coin into my hand saying "get yourself a pint on
the way home" :-)

I let an elderly neighbour benefit from my outside light
to see to get to her electric scooter. She kept insisting
on paying for the electricity. I told her it was probably
something like a pound - so she dug one out and wouldn't
let me leave without it

Of course a true professional like TMH would have looked online for
the most expensive rate, then discounted it by 10% and thought he was
doing his customers a favour!

Well it is always nice to have a total **** like yourself vent your opinion.
Now do **** off you steaming great ****.

Clearly you have no objection to little old ladies being overcharged by
handymen for parts.

That's fine so long as you are honest about it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Really? I charge for my skills and my time; I don't charge an extra 140%
on parts.

But hey, maybe you do.

I just wonder why you are so defensive about it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What the **** are you talking about?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I have an old lady customer who gives me a cheque for the bill,
then press's a 1 coin into my hand saying "get yourself a pint on
the way home" :-)

I let an elderly neighbour benefit from my outside light
to see to get to her electric scooter. She kept insisting
on paying for the electricity. I told her it was probably
something like a pound - so she dug one out and wouldn't
let me leave without it

Of course a true professional like TMH would have looked online for
the most expensive rate, then discounted it by 10% and thought he
was doing his customers a favour!

Well it is always nice to have a total **** like yourself vent your
opinion. Now do **** off you steaming great ****.

Clearly you have no objection to little old ladies being overcharged
by handymen for parts.

That's fine so long as you are honest about it.

Well if you are being honest about it then they are not being ripped off are
they?

You thick ****.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

So, what was the actual fault ?

The customers are on a pre payment gas meter and they were out of
gas/credit.

splutter

Now _that's_ funny...