Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone recomend a Digital TV aeriel?

Hi-gain,outdoor in the region of £20/25

Yes I know a normal analogue aerial on a freeview box will work when the
switchover applies but the sister doesn't want a FV box hooked up to the TV.

Cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but when you say the old aerial will work after the
switchover with a freeview box, it won't work with a TV with freeview built
in? I thought it would have worked.

SantaUK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...
Hi-gain,outdoor in the region of £20/25

Yes I know a normal analogue aerial on a freeview box will work when the
switchover applies but the sister doesn't want a FV box hooked up to the
TV.

The reason an analogue one will work is because there is no such thing as a
digital aerial, they are all analogue.

You will not get digital TV by just changing the aerial, you /need/ either:-

a satellite box + disk
a freeview TV + aerial
a freeview set top box + aerial

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
om...
Hi-gain,outdoor in the region of £20/25

Yes I know a normal analogue aerial on a freeview box will work when the
switchover applies but the sister doesn't want a FV box hooked up to the
TV.

The reason an analogue one will work is because there is no such thing as
a digital aerial, they are all analogue.

You will not get digital TV by just changing the aerial, you /need/
either:-

a satellite box + disk
a freeview TV + aerial
a freeview set top box + aerial

I bet you I can post a URL to a digital aerial Dennis. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
Hi-gain,outdoor in the region of £20/25

Yes I know a normal analogue aerial on a freeview box will work when the
switchover applies but the sister doesn't want a FV box hooked up to the TV.

Ay?

You either need a TV with Freeview/Digital built in, or you need a
Freeview box. The aerial is either good enough for Freeview or it
isn't, it'll make no difference if you have a separate Freeview box or
a TV with Freeview built-in.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
George wrote:
Hi-gain,outdoor in the region of £20/25

Yes I know a normal analogue aerial on a freeview box will work when the
switchover applies but the sister doesn't want a FV box hooked up to
the TV.

Really not enough information. In some areas - like most of London - an
existing aerial covers the FreeView frequencies. So in general will work
just fine - if it worked ok for analogue. In other parts of the country
you may need a wideband one to cover all the analogue and FreeView
frequencies.

If you're in a reasonable signal strength area a log periodic takes some
beating - smooth response and good directional properties. Like this one:-

https://www.blake-uk.com/page/aerial_dml

--

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"George" writes:

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
om...
Hi-gain,outdoor in the region of £20/25

Yes I know a normal analogue aerial on a freeview box will work when the
switchover applies but the sister doesn't want a FV box hooked up to the
TV.

The reason an analogue one will work is because there is no such thing as
a digital aerial, they are all analogue.

You will not get digital TV by just changing the aerial, you /need/
either:-

a satellite box + disk
a freeview TV + aerial
a freeview set top box + aerial

I bet you I can post a URL to a digital aerial Dennis. ;-)

Marketing gimmic to sell Joe Public aerials they didn't need.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , George
wrote
Hi-gain,outdoor in the region of £20/25

Yes I know a normal analogue aerial on a freeview box will work when the
switchover applies but the sister doesn't want a FV box hooked up to the TV.

There is no such thing as a digital aerial. Retailers will often sell
you a wideband aerial under the guise of being a digital aerial but it
may not be the best type of aerial for your area. A wideband aerial
tends to be a compromised design.

From which transmitter does your sister get the signals?
Type her postcode into
http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Alan wrote:
A wideband aerial tends to be a compromised design.

Not so - log periodic aerials can be wide band and have a superb DP. For
fringe use you may be correct. But most fringe aerials are a bit 'peaky'
in response.

--
*What are the pink bits in my tyres? Cyclists & Joggers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
m...

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
om...
Hi-gain,outdoor in the region of £20/25

Yes I know a normal analogue aerial on a freeview box will work when
the switchover applies but the sister doesn't want a FV box hooked up
to the TV.

The reason an analogue one will work is because there is no such thing
as a digital aerial, they are all analogue.

You will not get digital TV by just changing the aerial, you /need/
either:-

a satellite box + disk
a freeview TV + aerial
a freeview set top box + aerial

I bet you I can post a URL to a digital aerial Dennis. ;-)

Go on then.

Maplins Code: A57CW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...

8

I bet you I can post a URL to a digital aerial Dennis. ;-)

Go on then.

Maplins Code: A57CW

That's an analogue aerial with the words digital added to fool the less
knowledgeable.
It will probably work with analogue TV but not very well as it doesn't
appear to be very directional and you suffer multipath interference
(ghosts).

If anything you can use a cheaper poorer quality aerial for digital TV.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote
In article ,
Alan wrote:
A wideband aerial tends to be a compromised design.

Not so - log periodic aerials can be wide band and have a superb DP.

I'm aware of that because I have a Blakes' log periodic pointing at a
transmitter 18 miles away where both channel 24 and 59 are required for
digital reception. It has a similar performance to the very large
wideband array it replaced - after 25 years of service bits fell off of
the original aerial

Most widebands being sold as digital aerials are not a log periodic
design.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"dennis@home" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
m...
"dennis@home" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
om...
Hi-gain,outdoor in the region of £20/25

Yes I know a normal analogue aerial on a freeview box will work when
the switchover applies but the sister doesn't want a FV box hooked up
to the TV.
The reason an analogue one will work is because there is no such thing
as a digital aerial, they are all analogue.

You will not get digital TV by just changing the aerial, you /need/
either:-

a satellite box + disk
a freeview TV + aerial
a freeview set top box + aerial

I bet you I can post a URL to a digital aerial Dennis. ;-)

Go on then.

Maplins Code: A57CW

I have a A22HG wide band, mind you it was not the current price when I
brought mine and for an RG postcode works brilliant, and a lot cheaper
than the £180 I was quoted to have one fitted and all I did was to point
it in the same direction as the other ones nearby no fancy set up tools
really needed I did buy strength meter A55HJ but it was next to useless
as it to insensitive only having 5 LEDS the difference in degrees
between a led going off was about 60
but as others have said you might not need a new aerial to pick up
Digital just give it a try then buy one if its really needed

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

Hi-gain,outdoor in the region of £20/25

Yes I know a normal analogue aerial on a freeview box will work when the
switchover applies but the sister doesn't want a FV box hooked up to the TV.

If she does not want a box, then she needs a new TV. The aerial
(regardless of type) will not magically add digital reception to an
analogue TV.

Before you go changing aerials, find out what group[1] aerial you will
need, now and after switchover:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/tech/...ils/81plan.pdf

If post switchover uses the same grouping as your current setup, you
will be better staying with your current aerial or one similar to it
rather than going for a "digital"[2]

[1] Aerials were traditionally "grouped" - i.e. that meant they were
tuned to work best in a subset of the full range of frequencies used for
TV transmission. This gets round the difficulty of making a wideband
aerial that attempts to serve the whole range. Group A being the lowest
set of frequencies, B the next, up to Group C/D serving the highest. The
other letters you see represent wider groups, and the widest is the
group K "wideband" that (in theory) works across the full spread of
frequencies. Needless to say, the wider the group, the less optimum the
performance in general.

[2] The ad men seem to have hit upon this meaningless term to mean a
"wideband" aerial. These may be required in some places where the
channel allocations place the different channel groups in non adjacent
areas of the spectrum.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 05/10/2008, Kevin supposed :
I did buy strength meter A55HJ but it was next to useless as it to
insensitive only having 5 LEDS the difference in degrees between a led going
off was about 60

Hmmm, I fell for one of those and as you suggest not really that much
use for alignment. I keep intending to add a small pot to it, to be
able to adjust its sensitivity so at least you can get it to just light
a LED at a peak. A cheap small analogue meter would have been much
better.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George formulated on Sunday :
"George" writes:

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
om...
Hi-gain,outdoor in the region of £20/25

Yes I know a normal analogue aerial on a freeview box will work when the
switchover applies but the sister doesn't want a FV box hooked up to the
TV.

The reason an analogue one will work is because there is no such thing as
a digital aerial, they are all analogue.

You will not get digital TV by just changing the aerial, you /need/
either:-

a satellite box + disk
a freeview TV + aerial
a freeview set top box + aerial

I bet you I can post a URL to a digital aerial Dennis. ;-)

Marketing gimmic to sell Joe Public aerials they didn't need.

-- Andrew Gabriel

Probably. :-)

The only difference being that in some areas you may need a wider band
antenna to pick up all of the muxes for your own area, because they are
outside the bandwidth of a normal analogue antenna.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 16:45:43 GMT someone who may be "George"
wrote this:-

Hi-gain,outdoor in the region of £20/25

Is she in a poor reception area?

Television aerials are, like most things, not something where there
is a simple answer. If you want to get the right aerial study the
pages from http://www.aerialsandtv.com/atvschoiceofaerials.html
and gain an understanding of what you want.

As someone else has said, the first thing to know is which
transmitter the signals come from. From that you can find out which
group the transmitter signals were in originally, which groups they
are in now (note that analogue Channel 5 is often out of the
original group too) and which group(s) they will be in after the
switchover. From that and the signal strength you can decide which
aerial(s) you want.

Most transmitters will revert to one group at switchover. Thus most
people don't need to change aerials. People may want to change
aerial if they cannot get all of the digital channels at the moment,
but they should be made aware that in a few years they may get them
anyway with their current aerial. What follows is aimed at those who
will not be in this position after the switchover, about half a
dozen of the main transmitters.

In strong and medium signal areas the choice is easy, a log
periodic. These were developed by navies specifically to have a wide
response and are superb aerials for these circumstances. They don't
have a downside, except that they don't look like the sort of aerial
many expect. The fact that so few are seen shows the triumph of
something over substance.

In poor signal areas the choice is more difficult. An enormous
wideband aerial may work, at least until the wind attacks it.
However, there is a lot to be said for a more subtle approach. If
the signals are/will be in two groups then a more subtle approach is
to use two aerials, each of a different group, which are combined
into one lead. These can be pointed at the same or different
transmitters, depending on location
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/ampsandsplitters.html#CombineTheSignalsFromTwoAeri als.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
Hi-gain,outdoor in the region of £20/25

Yes I know a normal analogue aerial on a freeview box will work when the
switchover applies but the sister doesn't want a FV box hooked up to the TV.

Cheers.

That does not compute,Dr spock.

Whether the FV unit is exterenal or internal to the TV makes no bloody
difference!

And I am still running on my original analogue installation here..its
good enough. Especially now they have upped the transmitter power.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Alan
wrote:

There is no such thing as a digital aerial.

Yes and no...

Any CAI certified aerial will have a balun. It will also have been proven to
be able to pass the digital signals without significant data corruption.

I think the reason there are "Digital" aerials is to differentiate between
certified and non certified types. Bear in mind that because analogue
degrades gracefully, you can often get away with any old contractor crap and
still get acceptable signals. Not the case with a digital service.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
wrote:

If anything you can use a cheaper poorer quality aerial for digital TV.

More totally misleading bull from Foggy Dewhurst.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
In article , Alan
wrote:

There is no such thing as a digital aerial.

Yes and no...

Any CAI certified aerial will have a balun. It will also have been proven to
be able to pass the digital signals without significant data corruption.

I think the reason there are "Digital" aerials is to differentiate between
certified and non certified types. Bear in mind that because analogue
degrades gracefully, you can often get away with any old contractor crap and
still get acceptable signals. Not the case with a digital service.

Usual ********.

A 'digital' aerial is simply one with a wide enough frequency response
to suit the digital channel spacing in the area in question.

In many areas the old analogue one is perfectly adequate, if not
especially optimum.

Whether its certified or not has no bearing on either whether its good
for digital reception, or in fact is any good at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 17:55:05 +0100, "SantaUK"
wrote:

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but when you say the old aerial will work after the
switchover with a freeview box, it won't work with a TV with freeview built
in? I thought it would have worked.

Ours works.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
I think the reason there are "Digital" aerials is to differentiate
between certified and non certified types. Bear in mind that because
analogue degrades gracefully, you can often get away with any old
contractor crap and still get acceptable signals. Not the case with a
digital service.

Thought digital was more robust to some kinds of signal problems?

--
*I didn't drive my husband crazy -- I flew him there -- it was faster

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 14:41:42 +0100 someone who may be "Dave Plowman
(News)" wrote this:-

Thought digital was more robust to some kinds of signal problems?

The difference is that analogue degrades gracefully. Digital tends
to either work or not work, there is little between other than some
popping noises on the audio and some picture freezing between the
two states.

There is also the question of analogue having far more bandwidth
which means it can cope with certain types of shot well, while the
sort of digital systems we have in mass use cannot do so.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(News)" wrote this:-

Thought digital was more robust to some kinds of signal problems?

The difference is that analogue degrades gracefully.

Depends on what you mean by 'gracefully'. On a domestic installation in
most parts of the country using the correct aerial this is irrelevant.
Unless you actually like watching multiple images through a layer of snow.
With hissy sound.

Digital tends to either work or not work, there is little between other
than some popping noises on the audio and some picture freezing between
the two states.

Which for most is a good thing.

There is also the question of analogue having far more bandwidth
which means it can cope with certain types of shot well, while the
sort of digital systems we have in mass use cannot do so.

I'm not sure what you mean - but it's not got anything to do with aerials.

--
*Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
I think the reason there are "Digital" aerials is to differentiate
between certified and non certified types. Bear in mind that because
analogue degrades gracefully, you can often get away with any old
contractor crap and still get acceptable signals. Not the case with a
digital service.

Thought digital was more robust to some kinds of signal problems?

It is for some - like multipath - but not all.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Whether the FV unit is exterenal or internal to the TV makes no bloody
difference!

Another question:

I get 'TNT' (French version of digital terrestrial) using an aerial which
is similar to an oblong box about 8'' x 4'' sited on the inside window
ledge. The signal goes via a powered amplifier into a set top box.

Would it be possible to use this type of aerial indoors in the UK eg in the
loft. (to get UK stations I mean) The aerial we have in the loft at
the moment is a 'normal' one

John

--
John Mulrooney
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home laid this down on his screen :
If anything you can use a cheaper poorer quality aerial for digital TV.

That might well be true once analogue is turned off and the power of
digital is increased, but for the moment digital muxes are quite weak.
As distance from both signal sources is increased, digital is always
the first to become completely unusable.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Luckman
(AJL Electronics) scribeth thus
In article , Alan
wrote:

There is no such thing as a digital aerial.

Yes and no...

Any CAI certified aerial will have a balun. It will also have been proven to
be able to pass the digital signals without significant data corruption.

A balun is just a balanced to unbalanced conversion device I can't quite
see how it will corrupt the bits..

I think the reason there are "Digital" aerials is to differentiate between
certified and non certified types. Bear in mind that because analogue
degrades gracefully, you can often get away with any old contractor crap and
still get acceptable signals. Not the case with a digital service.

Not strictly scientific is that ?. More clever marketing for the aerial
industry and a chance to make a few quid..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , David Hansen
scribeth thus
(News)" wrote this:-

Thought digital was more robust to some kinds of signal problems?

The difference is that analogue degrades gracefully. Digital tends
to either work or not work, there is little between other than some
popping noises on the audio and some picture freezing between the
two states.

There is also the question of analogue having far more bandwidth
which means it can cope with certain types of shot well, while the
sort of digital systems we have in mass use cannot do so.

Can you explain that please .. "shot well"?....

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

There is no such thing as a digital aerial.

Yes and no...

Any CAI certified aerial will have a balun. It will also have been proven to
be able to pass the digital signals without significant data corruption.

I think the reason there are "Digital" aerials is to differentiate between
certified and non certified types. Bear in mind that because analogue
degrades gracefully, you can often get away with any old contractor crap and
still get acceptable signals. Not the case with a digital service.

I'm getting very poor Freeview reception. I expect I need a better
aerial, but I would like to mount it in the loft for ease of access.

Is it possible to get better reception with a very good loft aerial
than with a crappy old small aerial mounted on the chimney stack? I
know that a very good aerial on the chimney stack would be better
still, but I would like to do it myself so only the loft would be
practicable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:

I'm getting very poor Freeview reception. I expect I need a better
aerial, but I would like to mount it in the loft for ease of access.

Is it possible to get better reception with a very good loft aerial
than with a crappy old small aerial mounted on the chimney stack? I
know that a very good aerial on the chimney stack would be better
still, but I would like to do it myself so only the loft would be
practicable.

Depends where you are. If you're just over the road from Crystal Palace
a bent paper clip will probably work. If a deep valley in the wilds of
the Highlands, nothing will help!

A postcode checker was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JTM" wrote in message
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Whether the FV unit is exterenal or internal to the TV makes no bloody
difference!

Another question:

I get 'TNT' (French version of digital terrestrial) using an aerial which
is similar to an oblong box about 8'' x 4'' sited on the inside window
ledge. The signal goes via a powered amplifier into a set top box.

Would it be possible to use this type of aerial indoors in the UK eg in
the
loft. (to get UK stations I mean) The aerial we have in the loft at
the moment is a 'normal' one

John

--
John Mulrooney

The suspense is killing me - What is George's sister going to have after the
digital changeover?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Andy Champ wrote:
Bruce wrote:

I'm getting very poor Freeview reception. I expect I need a better
aerial, but I would like to mount it in the loft for ease of access.

Is it possible to get better reception with a very good loft aerial
than with a crappy old small aerial mounted on the chimney stack? I
know that a very good aerial on the chimney stack would be better
still, but I would like to do it myself so only the loft would be
practicable.

Depends where you are. If you're just over the road from Crystal Palace
a bent paper clip will probably work. If a deep valley in the wilds of
the Highlands, nothing will help!

A postcode checker was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Andy

But for some people that is very uncertain. Although living near a
transmitter, its transmissions go over our heads! Hence analogue
reception is terrible. No idea if that will change at all when digital
is installed there - whether at reduced or full power.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , David Hansen
scribeth thus
(News)" wrote this:-

Thought digital was more robust to some kinds of signal problems?

The difference is that analogue degrades gracefully. Digital tends
to either work or not work, there is little between other than some
popping noises on the audio and some picture freezing between the
two states.

There is also the question of analogue having far more bandwidth
which means it can cope with certain types of shot well, while the
sort of digital systems we have in mass use cannot do so.

Can you explain that please .. "shot well"?....

He said "it can cope with certain types of shot well", which I took
to mean camera shot. Ie. low bitrate giving rise to motion artefacts etc.
on fast moving subjects, flowing water, etc. etc.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 21:57:34 UTC, Rod wrote:

Andy Champ wrote:
Bruce wrote:

[...]

The postcode checker was useless for us. We are in East Kent (CT6) and
the checker told us we would be using the Bluebell Hill transmitter just
south of Rochester. The signal was terrible, so I tried the Dover one
instead; this wouldn't work for all of the postcode, but we're about 20m
ASL which is enough to 'see' Dover. Much, much better.

I too went for a loft solution, which works fine (OK, there's a preamp
up there). Used a Televes 45 element wideband (bought because the
transmitter muxes are widely separated). Works fine on a cheap Freeview
box.

http://tinyurl.com/televes

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
Hi-gain,outdoor in the region of £20/25

Yes I know a normal analogue aerial on a freeview box will work when the
switchover applies but the sister doesn't want a FV box hooked up to the
TV.

Cheers.

That does not compute,Dr spock.

No, you are getting confused by the child shrink.
The Science Officer on the Enterprise was plain Mister.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JTM" wrote in message
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Whether the FV unit is exterenal or internal to the TV makes no bloody
difference!

Another question:

I get 'TNT' (French version of digital terrestrial) using an aerial which
is similar to an oblong box about 8'' x 4'' sited on the inside window
ledge. The signal goes via a powered amplifier into a set top box.

Would it be possible to use this type of aerial indoors in the UK eg in
the
loft. (to get UK stations I mean) The aerial we have in the loft at
the moment is a 'normal' one

Put a STB on the existing one and see if it works.
Why buy a new one unless the old one doesn't do the job?