R P McMurphy

Default recomend a good cordless screwdriver?

had one some years ago...black and Decker i think. it didn't have much
power. how are they now adays? must have improved by now to something
useful.

rpm

StevieBoy

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:06:34 +0100, R P McMurphy wrote:

had one some years ago...black and Decker i think. it didn't have much
power. how are they now adays? must have improved by now to something
useful.

rpm

I've got a Bosch twin-pack which I've used for the past 3 years. No
complaints, but when you come to drill through double-fired /
engineering bricks a corded drill is called for
Regards,
Steve
--
Jack of all trades, master of some
Eric the Red

I found the cordless screw drivers too under powered, went flat to quickly
and uncomfortable to hold.

I opted for a small rechargeable drill with a screw driver attachment.
Picked up a B&D 12volt at a major DIY chain for £30. The battery lasts for
several hours but it It came with a spare battery so no worries of being
without power. Also the pistol grip has a more natural hold and make
driving home easier.

One for the best value tools I have bought and get lots of use.

Eric.

"StevieBoy" no@email wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:06:34 +0100, R P McMurphy wrote:

had one some years ago...black and Decker i think. it didn't have much
power. how are they now adays? must have improved by now to something
useful.

rpm

I've got a Bosch twin-pack which I've used for the past 3 years. No
complaints, but when you come to drill through double-fired /
engineering bricks a corded drill is called for
Regards,
Steve
--
Jack of all trades, master of some

dg

The ones at the diy end of the market are still rubbish.

Metabo do a good one
http://www.metabo.co.uk/uk/produkte/...grip/index.htm

dg

"R P McMurphy" wrote in message ...
had one some years ago...black and Decker i think. it didn't have much
power. how are they now adays? must have improved by now to something
useful.

rpm

RichardS

"R P McMurphy" wrote in message
had one some years ago...black and Decker i think. it didn't have much
power. how are they now adays? must have improved by now to something
useful.

rpm

If it's just a screwdriver that you want and not the complete drill/driver
enchilada, and you want an industrial-strength one, then have a look at
Metabo's PowerGrip.

NOT cheap at nearly £70, but it's as far removed from the B&D electric
drivers as you can get. Bags of torque from such a small thing.

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Dave Plowman

In article ,
R P McMurphy wrote:
had one some years ago...black and Decker i think. it didn't have much
power. how are they now adays? must have improved by now to something
useful.

Can't see any point in getting a purpose made screwdriver - for 99% of
tasks a cordless drill will do this as well or better.

--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery.*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
R P McMurphy

| had one some years ago...black and Decker i think. it didn't have much
| power. how are they now adays? must have improved by now to something
| useful.
|
| Can't see any point in getting a purpose made screwdriver - for 99% of
| tasks a cordless drill will do this as well or better.

i have a good corded drill with torque adjustment but its just not as handy
as a screwdriver. also its a pain to keep swapping and changing from drill
bit to screwdriver bit. got to have both ;-) (that's what i tell swmbo!)

rpm

Peter Ashby

In article ,
"R P McMurphy" wrote:

i have a good corded drill with torque adjustment but its just not as handy
as a screwdriver. also its a pain to keep swapping and changing from drill
bit to screwdriver bit. got to have both ;-) (that's what i tell swmbo!)

With several brands of quick change bits around this is not really a
problem unless you need to move really quickly. Last time I used two was
for a large glue up with lots of screws that needed fast work before the
glue went off. It was either a miracle or the result of excellent
craftsmanship that it game out dead square. Now normally I don't believe
in miracles.....

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.
Dave Plowman

In article ,
R P McMurphy wrote:
i have a good corded drill with torque adjustment but its just not as
handy as a screwdriver.

In what way? I can imagine the odd occasion where a drill is too large,
but then you could just uses a normal screwdriver.

also its a pain to keep swapping and changing from drill
bit to screwdriver bit. got to have both ;-) (that's what i tell swmbo!)

Two cordless drills, then. ;-)

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
mike ring

"R P McMurphy" wrote in
:

i have a good corded drill with torque adjustment but its just not as
handy as a screwdriver. also its a pain to keep swapping and changing
from drill bit to screwdriver bit. got to have both ;-) (that's what
i tell swmbo!)

Me, too. I didn't dare own up but the very best tool I've had for years was
a B&D 2.4V driver that came free with a workmate.

With a locking drive so you can do the hard bit manually, two double ended
bits, the spare one held by an elastic band, the ability to twiddle 20 or
so turns once you're started, as handy as a nordinary driver, it's been
fantastic, but getting very battered.

I wish I coiuld get another at the price, but they charge fortunes for them
now

mike r

Troy

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:03:44 +0000 (UTC), mike ring wrote:

Me, too. I didn't dare own up but the very best tool I've had for years was
a B&D 2.4V driver

Me too :-) I also have 2 cordless drills, often used as screwdrivers but
for *certain* jobs nothing beats my old B&D 2.4V driver.

I wish I coiuld get another at the price, but they charge fortunes for them
now

Not quite the price you paid but what about :-

http://www.diy.com/bq/product/produc...maxBullets=999

Not exactly a fortune :-)
--
Regards,

Troy the Black Lab.

Remove spam to email me
James Hart

mike ring wrote:
"R P McMurphy" wrote in
:

i have a good corded drill with torque adjustment but its just not as
handy as a screwdriver. also its a pain to keep swapping and
changing from drill bit to screwdriver bit. got to have both ;-)
(that's what i tell swmbo!)

Me, too. I didn't dare own up but the very best tool I've had for
years was a B&D 2.4V driver that came free with a workmate.

With a locking drive so you can do the hard bit manually, two double
ended bits, the spare one held by an elastic band, the ability to
twiddle 20 or so turns once you're started, as handy as a nordinary
driver, it's been fantastic, but getting very battered.

I wish I coiuld get another at the price, but they charge fortunes
for them now

Mine got nicked on a job once and the replacement was one of the Versapack
ones, same as an ordinary B&D but with a removable 3.6V battery. Worth it's
weight in gold in my opinion, nowhere near as bulky as a drill so it fits in
the toolbox (or back pocket when you run out of hands up a ladder) and takes
the donkey work out of most of the 'driving. When it gets to the hard work
the thickness of it makes it very easy to get a lot of torque without your
hand feeling like it's going to drop off.

--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk/

mike ring

Troy wrote in
:

Not quite the price you paid but what about :-

http://www.diy.com/bq/product/produc...&paintCatId=&C
ATID=62236&maxBullets=999

Not exactly a fortune :-)

Well, I dunno, in these days of 30 squid SDS's 14 nicker seems a hell of a
lot to me for a little 2.4v driver

mike r

Andrew McKay

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:55:58 +0100, Troy
wrote:

Not quite the price you paid but what about :-

http://www.diy.com/bq/product/produc...maxBullets=999

Not exactly a fortune :-)

That 12 hour charge time tells me I ought to buy half a dozen, just in
case I have more than one screw to tighten up

Andrew

http://www.handymac.co.uk
Troy

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:54:51 +0100, Andrew McKay wrote:

That 12 hour charge time tells me I ought to buy half a dozen, just in
case I have more than one screw to tighten up

Really not a problem - I only use it (not that one but a very old one) for
those awkward little jobs - cordless drills used for most things.
--
Regards,

Troy the Black Lab.

Remove spam to email me

RichardS

"R P McMurphy" :

well after those two recommendations and this one..

http://www.epinions.com/content_83195825796

i have ordered one! cant wait to tell the wife!

rpm

Woo!

let us know how you find it - I played with one for a while at a trade fair,
and was impressed.

Is on my list of luxury toys for some time when (if) the money starts
flowing in again.... :-)

Just don't tell her the price!

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Avoiding brush stokes - getting a good painted finish Frank W UK diy 5 August 21st 03 03:59 PM
Simply - a screwdriver Davey UK diy 19 August 3rd 03 02:43 PM
Electronic/Automatic welding masks - a good thing? Frank UK diy 1 July 21st 03 12:39 PM