R P McMurphy

Default recomend a quiet air conditioner?

will probably located in hallway to cool all upstairs down. ta!

steve

gandalf

"R P McMurphy" wrote in message
news
will probably located in hallway to cool all upstairs down. ta!

-----------
It will have to be something of a monster if it is to cool down the upstairs
portion of your house while being situated on the ground floor.

You might be better off using the natural characteristics of cool air to your
advantage rather than attempting to defy them. Consider sticking the beast in
the loft and ducting the cool air to each bedroom. Any cool air which escapes,
and it will, will go downstairs and help a little in keeping that cool as well.
And get one that has a remote panel for the controls.

This way you will achieve your objective and more. In that during the day you
can leave the beast running and open all the bedroom doors and the downstairs
rooms will get the benefit.

As for quiet running. Well it's often a function of cost. The quietest types
have all the gubbins mounted outside away from the building and just the blower
unit in the room.

Alan W

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:11:22 +0100, "R P McMurphy"
wrote:

will probably located in hallway to cool all upstairs down. ta!

Steve,
I have a quite one I bought from Wickes some time ago. Actually, I
don't need it any more, so it's up for sale - Say $100 (it cost me
over £300 new, and it works perfectly). I live in Poole, Dorset.

Alan
MrCheerful

"R P McMurphy" wrote in
message news
will probably located in hallway to cool all upstairs down. ta!

steve

I have an ex restaurant wall mounted unit fitted on my landing wall,
this cools the bedrooms and cool falls down stairs nicely to cool the
ground floor, it is on almost continually at present, we sleep well,
the hum of the fan is like white noise, you just don't hear it after a
while. We are still wrapped up in duvets at night, lovely!!

MrCheerful

Andrew McKay

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:25:28 GMT, "MrCheerful"
wrote:

I have an ex restaurant wall mounted unit fitted on my landing wall,
this cools the bedrooms and cool falls down stairs nicely to cool the
ground floor, it is on almost continually at present, we sleep well,
the hum of the fan is like white noise, you just don't hear it after a
while. We are still wrapped up in duvets at night, lovely!!

As a matter of interest, have you seen an electricity bill yet? Just
wondered whether this was costly to run?

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

Mike Faithfull

wrote:

I have an ex restaurant wall mounted unit fitted on my landing wall,
this cools the bedrooms and cool falls down stairs nicely to cool the
ground floor, it is on almost continually at present, we sleep well,
the hum of the fan is like white noise, you just don't hear it after a
while. We are still wrapped up in duvets at night, lovely!!

As a matter of interest, have you seen an electricity bill yet? Just
wondered whether this was costly to run?

I pay for my electrickery on a fixed monthly payment, but the supplier
hasn't asked for an increase even though I've had my split system
airconditioner for 10 months now and use it most days - heating in winter,
cooling at the moment. It's an 'inverter' model which basically means the
motor/compressor has an electronic speed control driven by a temperature
sensor, so when there's little demand for cooling or heating it just runs
slowly with a consequent saving in power consumption. It's very quiet too.

Unfortunately, it's only fitted in the office and doesn't cool upstairs