Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Anyone recomend a Digital TV aeriel?

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 21:57:34 UTC, Rod wrote:

Andy Champ wrote:
Bruce wrote:

I'm getting very poor Freeview reception. I expect I need a better
aerial, but I would like to mount it in the loft for ease of access.

Is it possible to get better reception with a very good loft aerial
than with a crappy old small aerial mounted on the chimney stack? I
know that a very good aerial on the chimney stack would be better
still, but I would like to do it myself so only the loft would be
practicable.

Depends where you are. If you're just over the road from Crystal Palace
a bent paper clip will probably work. If a deep valley in the wilds of
the Highlands, nothing will help!

A postcode checker was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Andy

But for some people that is very uncertain. Although living near a
transmitter, its transmissions go over our heads! Hence analogue
reception is terrible. No idea if that will change at all when digital
is installed there - whether at reduced or full power.

The postcode checker was useless for us. We are in East Kent (CT6) and
the checker told us we would be using the Bluebell Hill transmitter just
south of Rochester. The signal was terrible, so I tried the Dover one
instead; this wouldn't work for all of the postcode, but we're about 20m
ASL which is enough to 'see' Dover. Much, much better.

I too went for a loft solution, which works fine (OK, there's a preamp
up there). Used a Televes 45 element wideband (bought because the
transmitter muxes are widely separated). Works fine on a cheap Freeview
box.

http://tinyurl.com/televes

http://www.diybanter.com