Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical box sinker comments please

I'm wondering about buying an electrical box sinker (eg Screwfix
91308) Do they make creating a hole in blockwork for a socket much
simpler or are they a gimmick? In my experience the sides of a hole
are easy enough to make but getting a reasonably flat back to the hole
is the tricky bit.

If I do get one then as I only have about 30 holes to make I'm
planning to buy a single box sinker and just use it twice to sink the
double holes for sockets etc. Will that be successful?

Another gadget I've spotted is a wallchaser (Screwfix 11900) which I
imagine (hope) is a lot less messy than an angle grinder. Is it?

Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anna Kettle wrote:
I'm wondering about buying an electrical box sinker (eg Screwfix
91308) Do they make creating a hole in blockwork for a socket much
simpler or are they a gimmick? In my experience the sides of a hole
are easy enough to make but getting a reasonably flat back to the hole
is the tricky bit.

If I do get one then as I only have about 30 holes to make I'm
planning to buy a single box sinker and just use it twice to sink the
double holes for sockets etc. Will that be successful?

Another gadget I've spotted is a wallchaser (Screwfix 11900) which I
imagine (hope) is a lot less messy than an angle grinder. Is it?

Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

I got one of these kits,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Square-Hole-Cu...QQcmdZViewItem

Worked a treat in block and not too bad in red brick either, youre not
supposed to use them in red brick. If you are using them in hollow
block (gp1's) then youll have a hard time getting a flat recess as the
block will "blow out" into the hollow. I just stuck em in place with
adhesive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Staffbull wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Square-Hole-Cu...QQcmdZViewItem

Worked a treat in block and not too bad in red brick either, youre not
supposed to use them in red brick. If you are using them in hollow
block (gp1's) then youll have a hard time getting a flat recess as the
block will "blow out" into the hollow. I just stuck em in place with
adhesive.

Also says the chaser must not be used in brick so of limited use, I'd say.

--
*There are two sides to every divorce: Yours and **** head's*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
Staffbull wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Square-Hole-Cu...QQcmdZViewItem

Worked a treat in block and not too bad in red brick either, youre not
supposed to use them in red brick. If you are using them in hollow
block (gp1's) then youll have a hard time getting a flat recess as the
block will "blow out" into the hollow. I just stuck em in place with
adhesive.

Also says the chaser must not be used in brick so of limited use, I'd say.

--
*There are two sides to every divorce: Yours and **** head's*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

As I said in the post, i have used it red brick, seems fine just
slower, none of the teeth blunted yet, just got to wiegh up how many
holes/chases will be done into brick? as mine was new build I never
used the chaser as I just used PVC capping on the cables

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Staffbull wrote:
As I said in the post, i have used it red brick, seems fine just
slower, none of the teeth blunted yet, just got to wiegh up how many
holes/chases will be done into brick? as mine was new build I never
used the chaser as I just used PVC capping on the cables

I've never bought one of these things even although a bit of a tool
junkie. Mostly I seem to work on old places where the walls are brick -
and often with a skim of mortar, so I'm not sure how long they'd last.
You're gonna have to make good the cable entry anyway - so I tend just to
cut oversize with the SDS and slap in a load of quick set cement.

--
*White with a hint of M42*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
Staffbull wrote:
As I said in the post, i have used it red brick, seems fine just
slower, none of the teeth blunted yet, just got to wiegh up how many
holes/chases will be done into brick? as mine was new build I never
used the chaser as I just used PVC capping on the cables

I've never bought one of these things even although a bit of a tool
junkie. Mostly I seem to work on old places where the walls are brick -
and often with a skim of mortar, so I'm not sure how long they'd last.
You're gonna have to make good the cable entry anyway - so I tend just to
cut oversize with the SDS and slap in a load of quick set cement.

--
*White with a hint of M42*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I dont know how theyd fare with daily use, I was thinking of ebaing
them as finished with them,

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kev Kev is offline

Owain wrote:

Anna Kettle wrote:
I'm wondering about buying an electrical box sinker (eg Screwfix
91308) Do they make creating a hole in blockwork for a socket much
simpler or are they a gimmick? In my experience the sides of a hole
are easy enough to make but getting a reasonably flat back to the hole
is the tricky bit.

A squirt of filler/plaster/foam at the back as you push the box in will
sort that.

Owain

There were some posts about these things a few months back and they
didn't seem to come out too well and are messy.
Somebody suggested a large core drill, I can't remember the diameter,
but large enough to encircle a box, then drill out the hole to depth
and knock out the middle.
I got one of these and I still have it should I ever need a large dia
hole.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anna Kettle" wrote in message
I'm wondering about buying an electrical box sinker (eg Screwfix
91308) Do they make creating a hole in blockwork for a socket much
simpler or are they a gimmick? In my experience the sides of a hole
are easy enough to make but getting a reasonably flat back to the hole
is the tricky bit.

If I do get one then as I only have about 30 holes to make I'm
planning to buy a single box sinker and just use it twice to sink the
double holes for sockets etc. Will that be successful?

Another gadget I've spotted is a wallchaser (Screwfix 11900) which I
imagine (hope) is a lot less messy than an angle grinder. Is it?

Anna

I got this http://tinyurl.com/v9oqe (goes to ebay) and it's been brilliant.
So far it's been used to do 8 doubles, two twin and 5 single boxes in red
brick in my kitchen and I thoroughly recommend it.

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
(Anna Kettle) writes:
I'm wondering about buying an electrical box sinker (eg Screwfix
91308) Do they make creating a hole in blockwork for a socket much
simpler or are they a gimmick? In my experience the sides of a hole
are easy enough to make but getting a reasonably flat back to the hole
is the tricky bit.

The circular cutter works in brick. It will sink about 25 holes
before going blunt (which happens quite suddenly when it does).
It would probably do very much more into thermal blocks.
The box square is completely useless -- it just jams in the wall,
and an ordinary chisel bit works much better. If you get this, I
would suggest buying just the cutter (72224) and not the other
bits (assuming you already have an SDS chisel bit).

A problem you might have with blockwork is that the pilot hole
might not be strong enough to keep the circular cutter in place,
so you might get a less tidy hole. Depends on the blockwork.

Bare in mind the cutter turns the debris into dust which it
throws into the air, so it's quite messy.

If I do get one then as I only have about 30 holes to make I'm
planning to buy a single box sinker and just use it twice to sink the
double holes for sockets etc. Will that be successful?

It might not, as double holes overlap, and it might not stay
in the second hole. (It does work in brickwork.)

Another gadget I've spotted is a wallchaser (Screwfix 11900) which I
imagine (hope) is a lot less messy than an angle grinder. Is it?

Never tried that sort of wall chaser. The double disc type (81200)
is about as messy as exactly 2 angle grinders ;-) As mentioned in
another thread recently, a Dyson is about the only vacuum cleaner
which can handle the dust take-off for more than a few seconds.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:28:07 +0000, Anna Kettle wrote:

I'm wondering about buying an electrical box sinker (eg Screwfix
91308) Do they make creating a hole in blockwork for a socket much
simpler or are they a gimmick? In my experience the sides of a hole
are easy enough to make but getting a reasonably flat back to the hole
is the tricky bit.

If I do get one then as I only have about 30 holes to make I'm
planning to buy a single box sinker and just use it twice to sink the
double holes for sockets etc. Will that be successful?

Another gadget I've spotted is a wallchaser (Screwfix 11900) which I
imagine (hope) is a lot less messy than an angle grinder. Is it?

For cleaning out the holes and marking up the start they are useful. The
circular bit for taking the 'meat' out is ridiculous.
The square box part works OK in brick but the trick is to make it do the
finishing not the work which you do with point, chisel or bolster bits.

That's my experience.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Buy the wall chaser, use a decent hoover with it and dont bother with box
sinker. Use the wall chaser to cut a pttern for the socket and then chisel
out.

Steve Dawson
www.foxelectrical.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all your posts. What a wide variety of comments about the
box cutter ranging from 'The bees knees' to 'Useless'. I think that on
balance I wont get a box cutter but I do like Kevin's idea of using a
large core drill as I want to get one anyway to drill out for
extractor fans and so on

Reading the replies reminded me that I have not chiselled out
lightweight block before cos the last house was solidly built of
Victorian red bricks. I didnt have an SDS drill either in those days
so maybe the whole experience will be easier than I've been expecting

Stephen seems to be the only person with experience of using the wall
chaser - and as you're an electrician I expect you are speaking from
experience, so I'm tempted to put that one on my Christmas present
list

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

It would be a pretty big Xmas ask. here is a link for the one that I have,
and you would be better off hiring it from HSS or someone similar.

http://www.hss.com/g/8311/Diamond_Ch...ine_Bosch.html mine is a
hilti.

Just found a cheapie on screwfix part number 81200, buy some extra disc and
you should be fine.Be careful on this one though the cut depth is shallow
and if you are going to use flat plate metal fitting you will need 35mm deep
boxes.

Regards

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 19:59:25 GMT, "Stephen Dawson"
wrote:

It would be a pretty big Xmas ask.

The one I was looking at was the cheapie option at 24 pounds so
probably not nearly so good as yours but possibly enough for my needs?
Screwfix 11900. The description is

"Wall Chaser
Use with 43mm collar corded power drills. Consists of wall chaser
attachment and a 12mm TCT cutter for cutting channels into plaster and
light construction bricks. 5 year manufacturer's guarantee."

and you would be better off hiring it from HSS or someone similar.

Yes if I decide tp get a supa one ...

Just found a cheapie on screwfix part number 81200, buy some extra disc and
you should be fine.Be careful on this one though the cut depth is shallow
and if you are going to use flat plate metal fitting you will need 35mm deep
boxes.

But still 120 pounds so I think I'll go for one of
-The 24 pound cheapie (if I can find anyone who has used one
successfully)
-Hire
-Elbow grease
Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I have just had a quick look at the screwfix part you mentioned, and would
not waste my money on it. It will be very messy/dusty. I think in your
position i would work out where I had to chase and then hire one for a day.
We chase a whole house in a day with the kit we have.

Best of luck

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

well I bought one of these wall chasers the other week and have used it this
weekend and am perfectly satisfied with the results. My own lack experience
meant that my chase was not as straight as it could have been, but otherwise
it did exactly what is says on the tin. For occasional work I would highly
recommend it. It's very well built for £20. The collar that fits over the
drill was a tight fit on my Bosch GSB20-2RE, but I just used a bit of soap
and a gentle tap to ease it on.

The downside is the amount of dust created, but a friend with a vacuum
cleaner to hand would solve that - unfortunately I didn't have that luxury
this time :-(

Regards

snip

Screwfix 11900. The description is

"Wall Chaser
Use with 43mm collar corded power drills. Consists of wall chaser
attachment and a 12mm TCT cutter for cutting channels into plaster and
light construction bricks. 5 year manufacturer's guarantee."

Anna,

I have just had a quick look at the screwfix part you mentioned, and would
not waste my money on it. It will be very messy/dusty. I think in your
position i would work out where I had to chase and then hire one for a
day. We chase a whole house in a day with the kit we have.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stephen Dawson
writes

Anna,

I have just had a quick look at the screwfix part you mentioned, and would
not waste my money on it. It will be very messy/dusty. I think in your
position i would work out where I had to chase and then hire one for a day.
We chase a whole house in a day with the kit we have.

Best of luck

Steve

Ooh - suddenly an active participant

now all you need to do is sort out your sig sep

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 20:57:40 GMT, "Piers James"
wrote:

well I bought one of these wall chasers the other week and have used it this
weekend and am perfectly satisfied with the results. My own lack experience
meant that my chase was not as straight as it could have been, but otherwise
it did exactly what is says on the tin. For occasional work I would highly
recommend it. It's very well built for £20. The collar that fits over the
drill was a tight fit on my Bosch GSB20-2RE, but I just used a bit of soap
and a gentle tap to ease it on.

The downside is the amount of dust created, but a friend with a vacuum
cleaner to hand would solve that - unfortunately I didn't have that luxury
this time :-(

Regards

snip

Thats just put me off cos I was hoping it would be a less messy
alternative than the angle grinder. I hired a water dampened disk the
other day and it was SO much less messy than an angle grinder that I
think the hire shop will have my vote

PS Geoff: Who are you talking tof?

Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Stephen Dawson
writes

Anna,

I have just had a quick look at the screwfix part you mentioned, and would
not waste my money on it. It will be very messy/dusty. I think in your
position i would work out where I had to chase and then hire one for a
day.
We chase a whole house in a day with the kit we have.

Best of luck

Steve

Ooh - suddenly an active participant

now all you need to do is sort out your sig sep

--
geoff.

Wind your neck, I just have a hell more experience wiring properties than
most of the group, certain members excepted.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Piers James
writes

Thats just put me off cos I was hoping it would be a less messy
alternative than the angle grinder. I hired a water dampened disk the
other day and it was SO much less messy than an angle grinder that I
think the hire shop will have my vote

PS Geoff: Who are you talking tof?

Well, Steve (and Anna, it would seem)

and anyone else who doesn't use a sig sep so we end up with signatures
ending up in the body of the text as below

Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

All it needs is a "dash dash space" above the signature

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stephen Dawson
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Stephen Dawson
writes

Anna,

I have just had a quick look at the screwfix part you mentioned, and would
not waste my money on it. It will be very messy/dusty. I think in your
position i would work out where I had to chase and then hire one for a
day.
We chase a whole house in a day with the kit we have.

Best of luck

Steve

Ooh - suddenly an active participant

now all you need to do is sort out your sig sep

--
geoff.

Wind your neck, I just have a hell more experience wiring properties than
most of the group, certain members excepted.

Experience counts for nothing here unless you share it

You obviously don't have a lot of experience with emails - sort out that
sig sep - somehow you seem to have knackered mine above

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Stephen Dawson
writes

"raden" wrote in message
[...]

I must humble to your great experience in life, if all you have to worry is
a sig sep ?? then you are lucky.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stephen Dawson
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Stephen Dawson
writes

"raden" wrote in message
[...]

I should bloody well hope so

f all you have to worry is
a sig sep ?? then you are lucky.

No - but a) it's annoying and b) it would give others the impression you
have a clue

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Stephen Dawson
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Stephen Dawson
writes

"raden" wrote in message
[...]

You are I have not got a clue what a sig sep is really could not give a
monkeys

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stephen Dawson
writes

Wind your neck, I just have a hell more experience wiring properties
than
most of the group, certain members excepted.

Experience counts for nothing here unless you share it

You obviously don't have a lot of experience with emails - sort out that
sig sep - somehow you seem to have knackered mine above

--
geoff

I must humble to your great experience in life, i

I should bloody well hope so

f all you have to worry is
a sig sep ?? then you are lucky.

No - but a) it's annoying and b) it would give others the impression you
have a clue

--
geoff

You are I have not got a clue what a sig sep is really could not give a
monkeys

You have just confirmed what you displayed earlier,

you're a ******

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:36:28 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Piers James
writes

Thats just put me off cos I was hoping it would be a less messy
alternative than the angle grinder. I hired a water dampened disk the
other day and it was SO much less messy than an angle grinder that I
think the hire shop will have my vote

PS Geoff: Who are you talking tof?

Well, Steve (and Anna, it would seem)

and anyone else who doesn't use a sig sep so we end up with signatures
ending up in the body of the text as below

Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

All it needs is a "dash dash space" above the signature

Improved signature follows, I hope

Anna

--
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Anna Kettle
writes
[...]

There you go, as if by magic it all disappears when I reply

cunning, isn't it

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Anna Kettle wrote:
Improved signature follows, I hope

Yup - it's now in a pretty colour here. ;-)

--
*When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded *