Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical box sinker comments please

In article ,
(Anna Kettle) writes:
I'm wondering about buying an electrical box sinker (eg Screwfix
91308) Do they make creating a hole in blockwork for a socket much
simpler or are they a gimmick? In my experience the sides of a hole
are easy enough to make but getting a reasonably flat back to the hole
is the tricky bit.

The circular cutter works in brick. It will sink about 25 holes
before going blunt (which happens quite suddenly when it does).
It would probably do very much more into thermal blocks.
The box square is completely useless -- it just jams in the wall,
and an ordinary chisel bit works much better. If you get this, I
would suggest buying just the cutter (72224) and not the other
bits (assuming you already have an SDS chisel bit).

A problem you might have with blockwork is that the pilot hole
might not be strong enough to keep the circular cutter in place,
so you might get a less tidy hole. Depends on the blockwork.

Bare in mind the cutter turns the debris into dust which it
throws into the air, so it's quite messy.

If I do get one then as I only have about 30 holes to make I'm
planning to buy a single box sinker and just use it twice to sink the
double holes for sockets etc. Will that be successful?

It might not, as double holes overlap, and it might not stay
in the second hole. (It does work in brickwork.)

Another gadget I've spotted is a wallchaser (Screwfix 11900) which I
imagine (hope) is a lot less messy than an angle grinder. Is it?

Never tried that sort of wall chaser. The double disc type (81200)
is about as messy as exactly 2 angle grinders ;-) As mentioned in
another thread recently, a Dyson is about the only vacuum cleaner
which can handle the dust take-off for more than a few seconds.

--
Andrew Gabriel