Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Maggots in dustbin (elimination thereof)

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 19:55:17 +0100, Owain wrote:

It's not acceptable in hot weather to have bin collections every two
weeks.

I don't think it's acceptable at any time.

Rubbish, for us (a young family of four) every 4 weeks would at least
mean the standard bin bag would be nearly full. The majority of the waste
in the ordinary domestic waste is metalised flims (snack packets etc),
everything else, card, paper, glass, metal, plastics and cartons are
recyled.

Well as a family of five, doing all the recyling 100% properly, there's
no way that one standard wheelie bin is enough - eg here we can't
recycle any plastic, food waste, or any contaminated food packaging.
However, familes of 5 and over can apply for a special Big wheelie bin,
which we've just done. But first they make you wait and monitor your
existing waste production for ages to assess how much over you are, then
apply with a detailed form; then wait and see if you get approved. Then
they say they will send the Bin Police round regularly to rake through
your rubbish to check you aren't abusing the privilege of your Big Bin
entitlement. Meanwhile, with a bin size to match that of the single
pensioner up the road, we are responsible for personally disposing of
any waste over and above our standard bin's-worth.

And another thing.
What happens to our old dustbins? Having converted 70,000 households to
wheelie bins, the council say it's the householder's responsibility to
dispose of their old bins. That's got to be 100,000+ plastic (mainly)
and metal bins? In an area where there's no plastic recycling, too.
And quite what people with no access to a car to transport their bin to
the dump are supposed to do is anybody's guess.

Oh, and one more thing while I'm on my high horse.
Green bins - newly provided for garden waste. In their wisdom, the
council have delivered one to every household, regardless of whether
they happen to have a garden or not. But fear not, we mustn't worry,
because they will come and collect them back from anyone who asks.
Never mind about the hundreds who won't bother to make the phone call,
which will leave the town's streets littered with surplus bins... love 'em.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 08:49:23 +0100, "Vortex"
wrote:

Having now read the Council "propaganda" it seems they recommend putting
some salt in the bin bags, and the bin.

Next the council will forbid salt in their bins, on the grounds that
the refuse staff are suffering high blood pressure from ingesting too
much salt.

;-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-05 21:09:57 +0100, "MikeH" said:

Our bin is only emptied every two weeks, but we've never had a problem
with smells, flies or maggots. All our veggie waste goes on a compost
heap. Any meat scraps, leftovers, etc, (cooked or otherwise), are
double-bagged and put in the bottom shelf of the freezer until the day
the bin is emptied. I use coloured bags so there's no chance of
confusing the stuff destined for the bin with the remainder of the
freezer contents. We don't have a massive amount of meat waste, so it
doesn't take much space in the freezer. Been doing this for years with
no problems at all.

Mike

This is all very well, but it shouldn't be necessary to have to mess
around like this.

Meat only has to be in a bin for a day to attract flies, so you feel
that the council should collect every day?

I think that there is a reasonable balance. Historically, rubbish
collections have been a weekly thing and people are geared up for that.
Bagging stuff up, tying it and putting it in the bin is reasonable.
I don't think that having to split it up, put some bits in a compost
bin and others in bags in the freezer and all the rest of it is.

In effect, the local authority has halved the service by reducing the
collection frequency. Have they halved the amount of money collected
that relates to this part of their service? I very much doubt it.
Did they poll their customers and ask if they were happy to have
collections only every two weeks? Who knows.

Either way, if they are going to reduce a service, they should ask the
customers first and provide an option to opt out. In other words, if
the general level of service is halved and I don't accept that, then
there should be an option not to pay and to go elsewhere for rubbish
collection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Peter Lynch contains these words:

My gripe is that by having rotting food lying about in the sun for up
to 2 weeks - or longer if you are on holiday,

How is it longer if you're on holiday?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Lobster contains these words:

Well as a family of five, doing all the recyling 100% properly, there's
no way that one standard wheelie bin is enough

Grief, what on earth do you do that generates all that waste? There are
four of us and our wheelie bin (only a small one) is rarely more than
half full after a fortnight.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from Lobster contains these words:

Well as a family of five, doing all the recyling 100% properly, there's
no way that one standard wheelie bin is enough

Grief, what on earth do you do that generates all that waste? There are
four of us and our wheelie bin (only a small one) is rarely more than
half full after a fortnight.

Well we're pretty normal! Plastic (none is recyclable here) probably
accounts for a good proportion, plus contaminated food packaging I suppose?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-06 09:34:48 +0100, Guy King said:

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Either way, if they are going to reduce a service, they should ask the
customers first and provide an option to opt out. In other words, if
the general level of service is halved and I don't accept that, then
there should be an option not to pay and to go elsewhere for rubbish
collection.

Round here some enterprising woman bought an old rubbish lorry and
started infill collections for those dissatisfied with the council's
collections.

AFAIK she failed because there wasn't sufficient market once everyone
got used to fortnightly collections.

She might have done better if those dissatisfied had the possibility to
opt out of the council service and direct their funds to her.

I would have done it as a matter of principle anyway - even if she was
more expensive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-06 08:50:00 +0100, "Dave Liquorice" said:

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 21:37:42 GMT, Peter Lynch wrote:

We had exactly the same problem last year when our council bumbled
onto this stupid, stupid policy (why can't they just sack a few
pointless employees to save money, like a normal company?

I suspect if you dig a bit deeper it's related to the land fill tax
that is pretty steep already and going to get even higher. All councils
need to encourage the recycling of as much waste as possible to reduce
the amount of land fill tax they'll have to pay.

But how does collecting the rubbish every two weeks instead of every
week make a difference to that? The volume doesn't change overall....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-06 09:41:08 +0100, Lobster said:

Andy Hall wrote:

In effect, the local authority has halved the service by reducing the
collection frequency. Have they halved the amount of money collected
that relates to this part of their service? I very much doubt it.
Did they poll their customers and ask if they were happy to have
collections only every two weeks? Who knows.

Either way, if they are going to reduce a service, they should ask the
customers first and provide an option to opt out. In other words, if
the general level of service is halved and I don't accept that, then
there should be an option not to pay and to go elsewhere for rubbish
collection.

We've just gone fortnightly too, coincident with the arrival of wheelie
bins and pavement recycling to the borough. I as unhappy as anybody
else about the fornightly collections, as our wheelie bin is reeking in
this weather despite everything being bagged up. However I don't buy
that the council has reduced its service per se, because where last
month they came round every week to collect everything in black bags,
now they come round on alternate weeks to empty (a) black wheelie
bin/paper sack/cardboard sack; or (b) green wheelie
bin/bottles&tins/textiles; which is something they've been forced into
by central government in order to meet their recycling targets.

Given that they now collect garden waste when before they didn't, you
could argue that the service has been enhanced!

David

OK, as the total package, I would agree.

However, what about the extra storage space required for all these
wheelie bins? Do they supply two or??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 08:41:21 +0100, "Vortex"
wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 20:52:14 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 19:19:50 +0100, "Vortex"
wrote:

|Hi,
|
|A few months ago our local authority switched to bi-weekly refuse
|collection.
|
|One of the unpleasant consequences of this is that our bin seems to have
|become permanent home to large numbers of unpleasant maggots....and the
|bi-weekly collection ensures some of them become flies.
|
|Can anybody suggest an inexpensive way of controlling/killing them?
|
|I thought a dribble of creosote over the bin contents would make the
|environment pretty hostile inside the bin.

Put food debris in the compost bin/heap.

You need a ground cone thing for meaty stuff.
http://www.greencone.com/product-view.asp?prid=10

Interesting thingamy....

What happens to bones?

I assume they'll rot fairly well. The setup is mainly to keep rats out
I think.
--
Get away from it all
http://www.travelfreebies.co.uk/thomson-holidays.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 11:14:36 +0100, Andy Hall

On 2006-08-06 09:34:48 +0100, Guy King said:

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Either way, if they are going to reduce a service, they should ask the
customers first and provide an option to opt out. In other words, if
the general level of service is halved and I don't accept that, then
there should be an option not to pay and to go elsewhere for rubbish
collection.

Round here some enterprising woman bought an old rubbish lorry and
started infill collections for those dissatisfied with the council's
collections.

AFAIK she failed because there wasn't sufficient market once everyone
got used to fortnightly collections.

She might have done better if those dissatisfied had the possibility to
opt out of the council service and direct their funds to her.

I would have done it as a matter of principle anyway - even if she was
more expensive.

Waste removal costs about £100 per house per year (Can't think of the
source for this but I've read it recently)
Our council tax is about £1000 a year and the same source reckoned
that's 10% of the council spend. So for each house they get at least
10k to spend. That's like each house employing its own council bod.
--
Get away from it all
http://www.travelfreebies.co.uk/thomson-holidays.htm
Late deals, mega cheap flights and bargains
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 09:19:50 +0100, gort wrote:

Will try this for a week or two and see what happens....Jeyes fluid next.

I have lots of "legacy" creosote in the garage!.....but that's for my shed!

Regarding writing to the council....hundreds have done it already, to no
avail.

david

You can get some stuff from Wilkinsons for bins. Called ' Fresh Bin'
made by Jeyes and smells the same. Been using it since we got wheelie
bins and 2 week collection. So far no maggots.....

Dave

Don't breathe it in.
--
Get away from it all
http://www.travelfreebies.co.uk/thomson-holidays.htm
Late deals, mega cheap flights and bargains
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 11:15:51 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

All councils need to encourage the recycling of as much waste as
possible to reduce the amount of land fill tax they'll have to pay.

But how does collecting the rubbish every two weeks instead of every
week make a difference to that? The volume doesn't change overall....

a) Land fill tax is weight based not volume.

b) They hope that a bin full of recyables will encourage people to
recycle them. Recycled mass doesn't count for land fill tax.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

You need a ground cone thing for meaty stuff.
http://www.greencone.com/product-view.asp?prid=10

Another method is a worm farm thing that friends of ours have - looks
pretty similar to this cone except it has a colony of special mail-order
worms inside instead of bacteria (or as well as bacteria, I suppose!)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 09:00:10 GMT, Lobster wrote:

Well as a family of five, doing all the recyling 100% properly, there's
no way that one standard wheelie bin is enough - eg here we can't
recycle any plastic,

Plastic is very patchy and even in areas where they do have facilties it
varies on what a particular point will take. Penrith will take films,
bags and hard plastics, Carlisle hard plastics only and no cartons at
all.

food waste,

That's what the council subsidised compost bin is for...

or any contaminated food packaging.

What contaminated food packaging? Tins rinse easy, as do bottles and
jars, frozen food packs/bags are pretty clean but again rinse if
required. The only "contaminated food packaging" I can think of would be
from take aways or ready meals and even then can be washed. Does your
family think cooking is 3'30" in the microwave? Followed by only eating
half and dumping the rest in the bin?

IMHO wheelie bins actually slow the collection of rubbish down. How long
does it take to wheel a bin to the back of the truck, hoist it up, shake,
lower, wheel back, 60 seconds or more? If you blink you miss our rubbish
collection, truck stops, man leaps out, picks up bag, lobs it into the
back and hops back in, 15 seconds maximum.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message

And another thing.
What happens to our old dustbins? Having converted 70,000 households to
wheelie bins, the council say it's the householder's responsibility to
dispose of their old bins. That's got to be 100,000+ plastic (mainly) and
metal bins? In an area where there's no plastic recycling, too. And quite
what people with no access to a car to transport their bin to the dump are
supposed to do is anybody's guess.

Cut the bottom off and use it as a compost bin.
You get to keep the compost instead of the council selling it back to you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 08:43:07 GMT, Lobster wrote:
Alan Holmes wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Meat only has to be in a bin for a day to attract flies, so you feel that
the council should collect every day?

Wel, that's what they do in Mediterranean countries where the
temperature is comparable to what we've been experiencing here recently!

Yes, and they charge (well, at my place anyway) less than 50 euros a
year for the service.

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from mogga contains these words:

Waste removal costs about £100 per house per year (Can't think of the
source for this but I've read it recently)
Our council tax is about £1000 a year and the same source reckoned
that's 10% of the council spend. So for each house they get at least
10k to spend. That's like each house employing its own council bod.

More like a third of a bod once you've paid NI, pensions, sick pay,
maternity pay etc.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Meat only has to be in a bin for a day to attract flies, so you feel that
the council should collect every day?

Wel, that's what they do in Mediterranean countries where the
temperature is comparable to what we've been experiencing here recently!

Yes, and they charge (well, at my place anyway) less than 50 euros a
year for the service.

Not having evolved to wheelie bins, the main problem round here is that,
however well you bag up and tightly close food waste, the foxes will rip
it open just to check.
In our local park I used to rant about kids emptying rubbish bins just
for the hell of it until one day I watched a gang of crows methodically
drag everything out and scatter it across the car park. Bloody vandals
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-06 09:34:48 +0100, Guy King said:

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Either way, if they are going to reduce a service, they should ask
the customers first and provide an option to opt out. In other
words, if the general level of service is halved and I don't accept
that, then there should be an option not to pay and to go elsewhere
for rubbish collection.

Round here some enterprising woman bought an old rubbish lorry and
started infill collections for those dissatisfied with the council's
collections.

AFAIK she failed because there wasn't sufficient market once everyone
got used to fortnightly collections.

She might have done better if those dissatisfied had the possibility to
opt out of the council service and direct their funds to her.

I would have done it as a matter of principle anyway - even if she was
more expensive.

Not like you, Andy. I thought you weighed up the pros and cons
objectively. I hope you're not making decisions on principle...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

you could always take "direct action" as someone else suggested.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/5236856.stm

An irate Bristol resident has dumped a food recycling bin on the doorstep of
a councillor claiming the bins have never been emptied since the scheme
started.
The bin came with an anonymous letter suggesting councillor Steven Comer got
a taste of the "stinking squalor" which was blighting the street in
Eastville.

Mr Comer said some isolated incidents had occurred but added homes missed
should call the council's hotline.

"We've had a few complaints but overall the scheme has been a success."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 09:44:04 UTC, Guy King wrote:

The message
from Peter Lynch contains these words:

My gripe is that by having rotting food lying about in the sun for up
to 2 weeks - or longer if you are on holiday,

How is it longer if you're on holiday?

If you're not there on 'bin day', there's no-one to take it out. No good
leaving it by your gate, because (a) the binmen won't take the extra
step and (b) they'll leave it in some random place on the pavement.i

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-06 13:23:52 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2006-08-06 09:34:48 +0100, Guy King said:

The message
[...]

Normally, you're right, I do. However, it would be worth it if
enough people followed suit.

What I would prefer to see is some competition in the form of a few
licensed private operators competing on service and price and with the
customer paying them directly rather than the council as a middle man.

As it is now, most outsource to private firms as it is and then heavily
police them. I would rather customers policed them by shopping
elsewhere if they don't perform and with the council as a backstop to
make sure that general standards are met.

What I don't like is layers of management without added value, and it
strikes me that councils are taking money, not adding very much value
at all and then outsourcing the work with no customer choice in the
matter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-06 11:38:43 +0100, "Dave Liquorice" said:

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 11:15:51 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

All councils need to encourage the recycling of as much waste as
possible to reduce the amount of land fill tax they'll have to pay.

But how does collecting the rubbish every two weeks instead of every
week make a difference to that? The volume doesn't change overall....

a) Land fill tax is weight based not volume.

OK, but the weight remains the same as well....

b) They hope that a bin full of recyables will encourage people to
recycle them. Recycled mass doesn't count for land fill tax.

I'm not convinced by that argument. I will recycle things if

- it doesn't take much time, effort and inconvenience

- there's a financial or other incentive

- I'm convinced that they really are recycling what is collected

- it is worth doing in the first place (i.e. ecological saving exceeds
expenditure.

I'm probably not a lot different to a lot of people in some or all of
these things.

Having in a bin full of stuff doesn't really seem much of an incentive.

If they gave me a council tax reduction of £50 - 100 per year for
recycling, that might be an incentive. The trouble is that they would
need to employ dozens more inspectors to make sure that I did it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 14:52:12 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

What I would prefer to see is some competition in the form of a few
licensed private operators competing on service and price and with the
customer paying them directly rather than the council as a middle man.

So instead of having the streets clogged up once a week (or fortnight)
with the bin wagons you either have a load of them throughout a single
day or "bin days" spread through the week. Wonderful, not.

Of course I doubt it would take long for these private operators to come
to "an arrangement" where they collect "each others" rubbish.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

How is it longer if you're on holiday?

If you're not there on 'bin day', there's no-one to take it out.

Ah, that's what neighbours are for. Since they're already feeding the
cat they have the common sense to pull the bins out as well. At least,
they always have done.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi,

A few months ago our local authority switched to bi-weekly refuse
collection.

Can anybody suggest an inexpensive way of controlling/killing them?

David

Guy Fawkes would have suggested gunpowder.

Mick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Plastic is very patchy and even in areas where they do have facilties it
varies on what a particular point will take. Penrith will take films,
bags and hard plastics, Carlisle hard plastics only and no cartons at
all.

Worcester will recycle type 1 and 2 plastic. But here's the laugh, when we
recycled using plastic collection bags they would take ali foil which I
would think would be very good income. Now they have gone high tech with a
multi million pound waste recycle facility which CANNOT handle ali foil.
So it goes in the landfill!!!!

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

What contaminated food packaging? Tins rinse easy, as do bottles and
jars, frozen food packs/bags are pretty clean but again rinse if
required.

At what cost (monetary or environmental) in water, heating, and
detergent though?

IMHO wheelie bins actually slow the collection of rubbish down. How long
does it take to wheel a bin to the back of the truck, hoist it up, shake,
lower, wheel back, 60 seconds or more? If you blink you miss our rubbish
collection, truck stops, man leaps out, picks up bag, lobs it into the
back and hops back in, 15 seconds maximum.

A wheelie bin probably holds more than 4 bags worth of rubbish though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 21:37:42 GMT, Peter Lynch wrote:

We had exactly the same problem last year when our council bumbled
onto this stupid, stupid policy (why can't they just sack a few
pointless employees to save money, like a normal company?

I suspect if you dig a bit deeper it's related to the land fill tax that
is pretty steep already and going to get even higher. All councils need
to encourage the recycling of as much waste as possible to reduce the
amount of land fill tax they'll have to pay.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

So, increase the council tax, triple the numer of collections and therefor
wages, bellow out more diesel, buy more trucks, get all those cans and
bottles washed out with scarce water supplies, leave them all outside for 2
weeks. Yeah this recycling is well thought out..
Our collection involves mixing cans and bottles all in one plastic box with
the collector seperating them for each house. Beggars belief. Like any
decently run organisation attention should occasionally divert to costs.
Councils simply vote to increase income.
California, decades ago, tried something new, democracy i think it was
called. Proposition 13 enabled the elecrorate to set the tax rate, with
lists of services lost/ gained at each tax band.
No prizes for guessing the outcome.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-06 11:38:43 +0100, "Dave Liquorice" said:

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 11:15:51 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

All councils need to encourage the recycling of as much waste as
possible to reduce the amount of land fill tax they'll have to pay.

But how does collecting the rubbish every two weeks instead of every
week make a difference to that? The volume doesn't change overall....

Only that in most areas (certainly in mine) the introduction of
fortnightly collections is coincident with that of wheelie bins/pavement
recycling

If they gave me a council tax reduction of £50 - 100 per year for
recycling, that might be an incentive. The trouble is that they would
need to employ dozens more inspectors to make sure that I did it.

According to the council's PR puff, they are already inspecting my
rubbish to make sure I'm recycling. (But that probably means they're
just checking who's not putting out a paper sack/bottle box alongside
their wheelie bin...)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:

What contaminated food packaging? Tins rinse easy, as do bottles and
jars, frozen food packs/bags are pretty clean but again rinse if
required.

At what cost (monetary or environmental) in water, heating, and detergent
though?

IMHO wheelie bins actually slow the collection of rubbish down. How long
does it take to wheel a bin to the back of the truck, hoist it up, shake,
lower, wheel back, 60 seconds or more? If you blink you miss our rubbish
collection, truck stops, man leaps out, picks up bag, lobs it into the
back and hops back in, 15 seconds maximum.

In our district ... an ambulatory man goes from house to house and collects
a black (council supplied: thirteen per quarter] plastic bag from the bins.
these he heaps on the side of the pavemnet - a few minutes later the wagon
pulls up to each pile of bags, out pops the driver and hurls all the bags
into the back of the wagon ... and off to the next heap. Blink and you'll
miss it.
But .... following a public 'consulatation' ; all that's changing: we're
going to have two wheely bins, fortnightly collections and the list of stuff
we can't recycle has lengthened.

Progress ... you couldn't make it up!

--

Brian

A wheelie bin probably holds more than 4 bags worth of rubbish though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-06 17:24:21 +0100, gort said:

Plastic is very patchy and even in areas where they do have facilties
it varies on what a particular point will take. Penrith will take
films, bags and hard plastics, Carlisle hard plastics only and no
cartons at all.

Worcester will recycle type 1 and 2 plastic. But here's the laugh, when we
recycled using plastic collection bags they would take ali foil which I
would think would be very good income. Now they have gone high tech with a
multi million pound waste recycle facility which CANNOT handle ali foil.
So it goes in the landfill!!!!

Dave

What is "type 1" and "type 2" plastic?

This is really eco-speak-********.

How is an old lady meant to deal with that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

According to the council's PR puff, they are already inspecting my
rubbish to make sure I'm recycling. (But that probably means they're
just checking who's not putting out a paper sack/bottle box alongside
their wheelie bin...)

David

THe binmen in Worcester look inside to see whats what, I have seen them do
it.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 20:10:22 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

Clearly not enough festering bin bags have been dumped on Mr Comer's
doorstep if he thinks this is a success. I don't think that it's
acceptable for the council to require people to separate rubbish as
kitchen waste as is being suggested. If he thinks that this is
important then he can make the door to door visits to sift through the
rubbish. Were I a resident, I would be calling their hotline every
week.

With our paper recycling scheme we're supposed to include envelopes,
but are supposed to cut "windows" out of envelopes that have them,
and dispose of them separately. Sod that.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What is "type 1" and "type 2" plastic?

This is really eco-speak-********.

How is an old lady meant to deal with that?

Its usally PET type plastic, blown type bottles and its inside the
little triangle symbol on the bottle. Its all in the manual you get with
the wheeelie bin, I kid you not.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-06 16:16:31 +0100, "Dave Liquorice" said:

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 14:52:12 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

What I would prefer to see is some competition in the form of a few
licensed private operators competing on service and price and with the
customer paying them directly rather than the council as a middle man.

So instead of having the streets clogged up once a week (or fortnight)
with the bin wagons you either have a load of them throughout a single
day or "bin days" spread through the week. Wonderful, not.

Of course I doubt it would take long for these private operators to
come to "an arrangement" where they collect "each others" rubbish.

OK, so the alternative would be to have a single operator on a time
limited contract (one year max) without the council in the middle of
the transaction.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:

(on recycling schemes)

With our paper recycling scheme we're supposed to include envelopes,
but are supposed to cut "windows" out of envelopes that have them,
and dispose of them separately. Sod that.

Luxury!

Where I used to live the local authority provides the following:

A green wheely-bin for "clean glass (no labels, lids or corks)" which
also contains a red bin liner for "plastic bottles and cans (no caps
or labels)"

A blue wheely-bin for "paper (no cardboard, plastic bags or white
telephone directories)"

A brown wheely-bin for "garden waste and other material suitable for
compost (no wood)"

A large black wheely bin for everything else.

The blue bin is collected every eight weeks on a Wednesday, the green
bin (with its red bag) is collected every four weeks on a Tuesday, the
brown bin is collected on the 12th of each month and the black bin
every Thursday.

The bins have to be put out before 7 AM on the day of collection and
each one is collected from a slightly different place. Needless to say
the days and weeks never coincide and tend to change without notice
when there's a public holiday.

In practice the 7AM deadline means that the bins have to be put out
the evening before - so passing yobs knock them over and throw the
contents at nearby vehicles. What the yobs leave the foxes root
through.

If somebody dumps a pizza box in your green bin then the van won't
collect it and instead leaves it by the side of the road for you to
take to the tip later.

Did I mention this was a small terraced house with a yard and no
garden?

My own view is that recycling will only work when you get some sort of
sorting machine at the depot, and eliminate all this nonsense.

John
--
John White,
Electrical Contractor
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 17:35:55 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

What contaminated food packaging? Tins rinse easy, as do bottles and
jars, frozen food packs/bags are pretty clean but again rinse if
required.

At what cost (monetary or environmental) in water, heating, and
detergent though?

Read what I wrote, "rinse" just water. Though in our case it's the
washing up water just before the plug is pulled. No additional resources
used above that for the normal washing up. Yes, shock horror washing
up by hand!

IMHO wheelie bins actually slow the collection of rubbish down.

A wheelie bin probably holds more than 4 bags worth of rubbish though.

So we would only need a collection every 3 months or so (1/4 bag/week, 4
bags = 16 weeks). I bet they'd still come every week...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail