Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice Dave Liquorice is offline

Default Maggots in dustbin (elimination thereof)

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 09:00:10 GMT, Lobster wrote:

Well as a family of five, doing all the recyling 100% properly, there's
no way that one standard wheelie bin is enough - eg here we can't
recycle any plastic,

Plastic is very patchy and even in areas where they do have facilties it
varies on what a particular point will take. Penrith will take films,
bags and hard plastics, Carlisle hard plastics only and no cartons at
all.

food waste,

That's what the council subsidised compost bin is for...

or any contaminated food packaging.

What contaminated food packaging? Tins rinse easy, as do bottles and
jars, frozen food packs/bags are pretty clean but again rinse if
required. The only "contaminated food packaging" I can think of would be
from take aways or ready meals and even then can be washed. Does your
family think cooking is 3'30" in the microwave? Followed by only eating
half and dumping the rest in the bin?

IMHO wheelie bins actually slow the collection of rubbish down. How long
does it take to wheel a bin to the back of the truck, hoist it up, shake,
lower, wheel back, 60 seconds or more? If you blink you miss our rubbish
collection, truck stops, man leaps out, picks up bag, lobs it into the
back and hops back in, 15 seconds maximum.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail