Posted to uk.d-i-y
John White John White is offline

Default Maggots in dustbin (elimination thereof)

Frank Erskine wrote:

(on recycling schemes)

With our paper recycling scheme we're supposed to include envelopes,
but are supposed to cut "windows" out of envelopes that have them,
and dispose of them separately. Sod that.

Luxury!

Where I used to live the local authority provides the following:

A green wheely-bin for "clean glass (no labels, lids or corks)" which
also contains a red bin liner for "plastic bottles and cans (no caps
or labels)"

A blue wheely-bin for "paper (no cardboard, plastic bags or white
telephone directories)"

A brown wheely-bin for "garden waste and other material suitable for
compost (no wood)"

A large black wheely bin for everything else.

The blue bin is collected every eight weeks on a Wednesday, the green
bin (with its red bag) is collected every four weeks on a Tuesday, the
brown bin is collected on the 12th of each month and the black bin
every Thursday.

The bins have to be put out before 7 AM on the day of collection and
each one is collected from a slightly different place. Needless to say
the days and weeks never coincide and tend to change without notice
when there's a public holiday.

In practice the 7AM deadline means that the bins have to be put out
the evening before - so passing yobs knock them over and throw the
contents at nearby vehicles. What the yobs leave the foxes root
through.

If somebody dumps a pizza box in your green bin then the van won't
collect it and instead leaves it by the side of the road for you to
take to the tip later.

Did I mention this was a small terraced house with a yard and no
garden?

My own view is that recycling will only work when you get some sort of
sorting machine at the depot, and eliminate all this nonsense.

John
--
John White,
Electrical Contractor