Posted to uk.d-i-y
mogga mogga is offline

Default Maggots in dustbin (elimination thereof)

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 11:14:36 +0100, Andy Hall

On 2006-08-06 09:34:48 +0100, Guy King said:

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Either way, if they are going to reduce a service, they should ask the
customers first and provide an option to opt out. In other words, if
the general level of service is halved and I don't accept that, then
there should be an option not to pay and to go elsewhere for rubbish
collection.

Round here some enterprising woman bought an old rubbish lorry and
started infill collections for those dissatisfied with the council's
collections.

AFAIK she failed because there wasn't sufficient market once everyone
got used to fortnightly collections.

She might have done better if those dissatisfied had the possibility to
opt out of the council service and direct their funds to her.

I would have done it as a matter of principle anyway - even if she was
more expensive.

Waste removal costs about £100 per house per year (Can't think of the
source for this but I've read it recently)
Our council tax is about £1000 a year and the same source reckoned
that's 10% of the council spend. So for each house they get at least
10k to spend. That's like each house employing its own council bod.
--
Get away from it all
http://www.travelfreebies.co.uk/thomson-holidays.htm