Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Maggots in dustbin (elimination thereof)

On 2006-08-06 11:38:43 +0100, "Dave Liquorice" said:

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 11:15:51 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

All councils need to encourage the recycling of as much waste as
possible to reduce the amount of land fill tax they'll have to pay.

But how does collecting the rubbish every two weeks instead of every
week make a difference to that? The volume doesn't change overall....

a) Land fill tax is weight based not volume.

OK, but the weight remains the same as well....

b) They hope that a bin full of recyables will encourage people to
recycle them. Recycled mass doesn't count for land fill tax.

I'm not convinced by that argument. I will recycle things if

- it doesn't take much time, effort and inconvenience

- there's a financial or other incentive

- I'm convinced that they really are recycling what is collected

- it is worth doing in the first place (i.e. ecological saving exceeds
expenditure.

I'm probably not a lot different to a lot of people in some or all of
these things.

Having in a bin full of stuff doesn't really seem much of an incentive.

If they gave me a council tax reduction of £50 - 100 per year for
recycling, that might be an incentive. The trouble is that they would
need to employ dozens more inspectors to make sure that I did it.