Old January 12th 05, 12:36 AM
Unknown

Default O.T Ban cell phones while driving

I have the pictures but this URL will demo that they are not fakes.
This occurred about 75 miles from where I live.

http://www.frazeeforum.com/

Old January 12th 05, 01:38 AM
jim rozen

In article , Unknown says...

I have the pictures but this URL will demo that they are not fakes.
This occurred about 75 miles from where I live.

http://www.frazeeforum.com/

Heh. Around here you are too late my friend. NY has already
made using a hand-held phone while driving, a ticketable
offence. Next, it will be using any phone at all while
behind the wheel.

I think folks should be allowed to talk on the phone
while driving. As long as the driver's seat is in front
of the front bumper.

Jim

please reply to:
Old January 12th 05, 09:14 AM
Leon Heller

http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller
"Unknown" wrote in message

I have the pictures but this URL will demo that they are not fakes.
This occurred about 75 miles from where I live.

http://www.frazeeforum.com/

Using a phone whilst driving has been illegal for a few months here in the
UK.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM

Old January 12th 05, 11:10 AM
Nick Hull

Unknown wrote:

I have the pictures but this URL will demo that they are not fakes.
This occurred about 75 miles from where I live.

http://www.frazeeforum.com/

Accidents occur while the driver is drinking coffee, we should ban
drive-up windows.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Old January 12th 05, 12:59 PM
jim rozen

In article , Gene Kearns says...

I am particularly amused by this line of argument about making cell
phone use illegal..... while pilots are *required* by law to chat on
the radio... all the while maintaining control in 3-space not
2-space.... in all phases of flight.

I'd be willing to make an exception on this point. If the
driver pulled over for cell phone use can present a valid
instructor pilot certificate then the cop tears up the
ticket....

Jim

please reply to:

Old January 12th 05, 01:27 PM
Ian Stirling

"Unknown" wrote in message

I have the pictures but this URL will demo that they are not fakes.
This occurred about 75 miles from where I live.

http://www.frazeeforum.com/

Using a phone whilst driving has been illegal for a few months here in the
UK.

Using a non-hands-free phone.

Old January 12th 05, 01:30 PM

Two comments on this:

1) The pilot is discussing what he is actually doing.

2) Would you expect the same pilot to be talking on a handheld while
landing at LAX in a crosswind, on one of the "busy" runways, etc. They
use headsets for a reason. They also choose appropriate times to talk
and appropriate times to concentrate on the bigger issue at hand.

The bigger issue is that most people talking on a cell phone are
distracted away from the act of driving, whereas a pilot's radio is
actually an asset to aid him in coordinating his plane.

I have no problem with someone talking on a phone when they are in
"cruise mode". It's the guy sipping on a coffee, changing lanes,
downshifting for the off ramp, talking on the phone, changing radio
stations, etc all simultaneously that needs the ticket. Unfortunately
we are not allowed to differentiate between prudent behavior and
assinine behavior so I don't have much of an issue with banning cell
phone use during driving. I'm not so important that I can't wait an
extra 2 minutes to call whomever.

JW

Old January 12th 05, 03:10 PM
Pat Ford

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:10:50 -0500, Nick Hull

Unknown wrote:

I have the pictures but this URL will demo that they are not fakes.
This occurred about 75 miles from where I live.

http://www.frazeeforum.com/

Accidents occur while the driver is drinking coffee, we should ban
drive-up windows.

I am particularly amused by this line of argument about making cell
phone use illegal..... while pilots are *required* by law to chat on
the radio... all the while maintaining control in 3-space not
2-space.... in all phases of flight.

The bottom line is that people too dense to be able to divide their
attention shouldn't be driving anyway... chances are that dame would
have rear-ended that trailer because she was sipping a drink, lighting
a cigarette, checking her makeup, or looking at something that caught
her eye out of the side window..... cell phones make a convenient
scapegoat... next up for litigation will be rear view mirrors, maps,
GPSs.....
--

Homepage*
http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/

* If you find that you are denied access to my web page, Please respond

here with
your IP address and I will see if I can open up access. I have been forced

blackhole large geographic regions outside of North America due to

incessant
spoofing and hacking attacks on my web server. Thanks.

The common element is the driving not the other activities. Make getting
the license harder and loosing it easier.

as far as the pilot thing goes how often are the planes nose to tail like
cars on a highway? what is the minimum seperation??
Pat

Old January 12th 05, 05:10 PM
Too_Many_Tools

Long over due.

In a recent bout of dangerous winter weather, the news media and the
police were repeatily telling people to get the *&^% of the phones and
concentrate on driving.

It is also common practice to check phone logs now when an accident
occurs.

Studies have shown that using a cell phone during driving diminshes
one's performance as much as driving under the influence of alcohol.

Locally, we have had several accidents where pedestrians were killed by
cell phone drivers. The cell phone use was a determining factor in the
latter conviction and imprisonment of the drivers.

In my personal experience with the close calls I have had with other
drivers, EVERY ONE of them has involved the other driver talking on the
cell phone and not paying attention to their driving. Several of those
have been with the other driver running a red light at full bore while
focused on the phone and not their surroundings.

Whether or not a cell phone driver wants to admit it, driving while
using a cell phone is an accident waiting to happen.

When one adds all this up, I would consider banning cell phones during
driving to be a good move.

FYI....there is development currently going on where the black box of
your car will monitor for internal cell phone usage and record that
fact if the car is under operation. Its intent is to allow police and
insurance companies to determine if the cell was in use during vehicle
operation. How they will determine whether or not the driver was the
one using the phone is the sticky issue at this time.

TMT

Old January 12th 05, 05:14 PM

Nick Hull wrote:
In article ,
Unknown wrote:

I have the pictures but this URL will demo that they are not fakes.
This occurred about 75 miles from where I live.

http://www.frazeeforum.com/

Accidents occur while the driver is drinking coffee, we should ban
drive-up windows.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Nope, just cup holders.

I don't have a steeringwheel on my coffee table, why should I have a cup
holder in my car?

-- Joe, no cup holders and won't use the phone while driving.

--
Joseph M. Krzeszewski Mechanical Engineering and stuff
Jack of All Trades, Master of None... Yet