Two comments on this:

1) The pilot is discussing what he is actually doing.

2) Would you expect the same pilot to be talking on a handheld while
landing at LAX in a crosswind, on one of the "busy" runways, etc. They
use headsets for a reason. They also choose appropriate times to talk
and appropriate times to concentrate on the bigger issue at hand.

The bigger issue is that most people talking on a cell phone are
distracted away from the act of driving, whereas a pilot's radio is
actually an asset to aid him in coordinating his plane.

I have no problem with someone talking on a phone when they are in
"cruise mode". It's the guy sipping on a coffee, changing lanes,
downshifting for the off ramp, talking on the phone, changing radio
stations, etc all simultaneously that needs the ticket. Unfortunately
we are not allowed to differentiate between prudent behavior and
assinine behavior so I don't have much of an issue with banning cell
phone use during driving. I'm not so important that I can't wait an
extra 2 minutes to call whomever.

JW

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Gene Kearns

says...

I am particularly amused by this line of argument about making cell
phone use illegal..... while pilots are *required* by law to chat

on
the radio... all the while maintaining control in 3-space not
2-space.... in all phases of flight.

I'd be willing to make an exception on this point. If the
driver pulled over for cell phone use can present a valid
instructor pilot certificate then the cop tears up the
ticket....

Jim

please reply to: