Old January 12th 05, 09:53 PM
jim rozen

In article , Dave Mundt says...

After all, if the cops ticketed EVERYONE
they caught using a cell phone while driving, not only would
they have a huge public outcry, ...

This is what's happening in NY state. I suspect that
pretty soon they will start running cell phone stops
just like the seatbelt stops.

That would be fine with me. As a motorbike rider I
view a minivan piloted by a cell-phone equipped
soccer mom about the same as ebola virus or something.

Jim

please reply to:

Old January 12th 05, 10:20 PM
Roy

I think they need to be banned whie dring mysef. Its not ony speeders
etc that cause wrecks, its assholes tying up traffic whie shooting the
**** on a cell phone and peope get impatient and **** happens. Nothing
like setting through numerous red ights while some jerk is on a cell
phone and forgets he is at a traffic light, or have some asshoe breeze
by at 100 mphg with a eg up on the door, laid down low in the seat
with a cell phone stuck in his ear. Most folks can't drive sensibly
without a phone in their ear, yet aone with one. Alabama is kicking
it around and it may just well pass this time.

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Sooooooooooooooooolow to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS
Old January 12th 05, 10:24 PM
Sunworshipper

On 12 Jan 2005 21:34:58 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:23:10 -0800, Sunworshipper wrote:

The best one I saw was a cop that drove between a car spun around
backwards with front end damage and in the middle lane and an RV into
a light pole with half the rear end ripped off. He kept on going under
the speed limit thinking of doughnuts !
This all reminds me that I need to redo the limo black tint on my
truck so some candy ass doesn't drop a dime on me.

Wow. It's _like_ English, but without the whole "meaning" thing.

Sun shines, people forget.

Yup.

Now what ? Did I leave something important out that you need? Maybe a
sentence _like_ humans paying attention? Ever run a machine and talk
on the phone?

If your so bright and take the time to be critical , why don't you
correct my bad English ! I asked questions in class (many English
classes) and they never could answer either. Ignore me , won't be the
first time.

I don't have a problem with cell phones. One time I said I'd call
back cause I was trying to follow badly placed orange cones. Some
people can't admit a limitation and just fix it if it's a problem.
Kind of like people say I have a friend with a problem story instead
of coming out and saying it ! Or have I left out the plain English of
what I'm talking about?

Yup? _Like_ You can see the stars and not see the light.
Old January 12th 05, 10:28 PM
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:24:15 -0800, Sunworshipper wrote:
On 12 Jan 2005 21:34:58 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:23:10 -0800, Sunworshipper wrote:

The best one I saw was a cop that drove between a car spun around
backwards with front end damage and in the middle lane and an RV into
a light pole with half the rear end ripped off. He kept on going under
the speed limit thinking of doughnuts !
This all reminds me that I need to redo the limo black tint on my
truck so some candy ass doesn't drop a dime on me.

Wow. It's _like_ English, but without the whole "meaning" thing.

Sun shines, people forget.

Yup.

Now what ? Did I leave something important out that you need? Maybe a
sentence _like_ humans paying attention? Ever run a machine and talk
on the phone?

"redo the limo black tint" "drop a dime", the whole cop/donut thing...
Mindless/meaningless (one might say, ahem, 'trollish') gibberish.

If your so bright and take the time to be critical , why don't you
correct my bad English ! I asked questions in class (many English
classes) and they never could answer either. Ignore me , won't be the
first time.

I can't _understand_ you. It seems like you're intensely trying
to make a point, but whatever it is, isn't coming through.

I don't have a problem with cell phones. One time I said I'd call
back cause I was trying to follow badly placed orange cones. Some
people can't admit a limitation and just fix it if it's a problem.
Kind of like people say I have a friend with a problem story instead
of coming out and saying it ! Or have I left out the plain English of
what I'm talking about?

OK, I got it, you don't like cellphones.

Yup? _Like_ You can see the stars and not see the light.

There you go again.
Old January 12th 05, 10:39 PM
Sunworshipper

On 12 Jan 2005 22:28:27 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

[...]

Your not serious ? Talk about trolling , can you row and troll at the
same time?

If you really did miss the cop thing . The cop squeezed between two
wrecked vehicles with people hurt and didn't EVEN _see_ IT !

Old January 12th 05, 11:04 PM
Clif Holland

wrote:

[...]

Oh he saw it and most likely reported it but had a higher priority call and
was informed to keep going. Been there, done that, couldn't even stop to
explain.

Clif

Old January 13th 05, 12:19 AM
Gerald Miller

On 12 Jan 2005 20:11:51 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

I use the phone in my car on occasion, and I'd like to think
that it hasn't caused any problems. Is that close enough?
I work in IT, and when the phone rings, I have to answer it,
because that's part of what my salary pays for.

I don't have a problem with cell phones so much as the guy driving
down the freeway, trying to read the road map (magazine, newspaper,
pocket novel) spread on the steering wheel, looking around the naked
girlfriend straddling his lap.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Old January 13th 05, 01:25 AM
SteveB

"Nick Hull" wrote

Accidents occur while the driver is drinking coffee, we should ban
drive-up windows.

Well, Nick. A University of Utah study showed that drunk drivers drive
better than people who are driving while talking on a cell phone.

While crotch burning coffee has probably caused some wrecks and a landmark
Stella style lawsuit, it doesn't have a lot to do with the real world
subject of someone talking on the cell while driving.

We already have laws on the books regarding "failure to give full time and
attention" to driving. Citations have been issued in the past. Where the
law enforcement community missed the bus is when they didn't start writing
citations as soon as cell phones came on the market. People should also be
cited for putting on makeup, eating, slapping their kids, reading, working
their palm pilot, or doing anything that takes them away from their driving.

This subject is close to my heart, as a child of a friend of mine died in an
accident where the driver of the other car was absorbed in a cell phone
conversation and didn't see the red light. We are not talking about what-if
cases. We are talking about bodies in the morgue that look like someone
attacked them with a chainsaw.

And all needless.

How many cell phone conversations are needless? How many people have you
seen wandering the aisles of the grocery store, spouting all manner of
personal, intimate, delicate conversation that would make a therapist blush?
Or just "Hi ..... what you doin' .......... oh, nothin .......... " And a
lot of them talking at double volume. Who in the hell needs 1,000 minutes
of talk time a month besides a telemarketer or a real estate agent, or
businessman? That's 16.6 HOURS a month. If you have to talk that much, you
need a shrink.

If you are guiding a 3,000# vehicle at 50 mph while talking on a cell, you
are a total idiot. You shouldn't be allowed to go out of the house without
adult supervision, let alone have a driver's license. Is it so important
that you would have the life of a seven year old on your conscience for the
rest of your life? Or would that bother you at all, because your girlfriend
calling about her new lingerie is more important than a seven year old?

Each man sets his own standard.

Or not.

Steve

Old January 13th 05, 01:28 AM
SteveB

"Ian Stirling" wrote

Using a non-hands-free phone.

Some people are incapable of talking without their hands.

Steve

Old January 13th 05, 01:41 AM
RoyJ

Actually, I'd just settle for a presumption of "impaired driver" if
anyone has an accident while using a cell phone. ie automatically your
fault.

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Long over due.

In a recent bout of dangerous winter weather, the news media and the
police were repeatily telling people to get the *&^% of the phones and
concentrate on driving.

It is also common practice to check phone logs now when an accident
occurs.

Studies have shown that using a cell phone during driving diminshes
one's performance as much as driving under the influence of alcohol.

Locally, we have had several accidents where pedestrians were killed by
cell phone drivers. The cell phone use was a determining factor in the
latter conviction and imprisonment of the drivers.

In my personal experience with the close calls I have had with other
drivers, EVERY ONE of them has involved the other driver talking on the
cell phone and not paying attention to their driving. Several of those
have been with the other driver running a red light at full bore while
focused on the phone and not their surroundings.

Whether or not a cell phone driver wants to admit it, driving while
using a cell phone is an accident waiting to happen.

When one adds all this up, I would consider banning cell phones during
driving to be a good move.

FYI....there is development currently going on where the black box of
your car will monitor for internal cell phone usage and record that
fact if the car is under operation. Its intent is to allow police and
insurance companies to determine if the cell was in use during vehicle
operation. How they will determine whether or not the driver was the
one using the phone is the sticky issue at this time.

TMT