RoyJ

Actually, I'd just settle for a presumption of "impaired driver" if
anyone has an accident while using a cell phone. ie automatically your
fault.

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Long over due.

In a recent bout of dangerous winter weather, the news media and the
police were repeatily telling people to get the *&^% of the phones and
concentrate on driving.

It is also common practice to check phone logs now when an accident
occurs.

Studies have shown that using a cell phone during driving diminshes
one's performance as much as driving under the influence of alcohol.

Locally, we have had several accidents where pedestrians were killed by
cell phone drivers. The cell phone use was a determining factor in the
latter conviction and imprisonment of the drivers.

In my personal experience with the close calls I have had with other
drivers, EVERY ONE of them has involved the other driver talking on the
cell phone and not paying attention to their driving. Several of those
have been with the other driver running a red light at full bore while
focused on the phone and not their surroundings.

Whether or not a cell phone driver wants to admit it, driving while
using a cell phone is an accident waiting to happen.

When one adds all this up, I would consider banning cell phones during
driving to be a good move.

FYI....there is development currently going on where the black box of
your car will monitor for internal cell phone usage and record that
fact if the car is under operation. Its intent is to allow police and
insurance companies to determine if the cell was in use during vehicle
operation. How they will determine whether or not the driver was the
one using the phone is the sticky issue at this time.

TMT