Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Using a ball-check oiler for an air tool

I have a air angle grinder that I have a permanent hose whip on (to
eliminate the quick-connect fittings & make it more maneuverable).

The problem is, to oil the grinder I put the oil in the end of the
5'hose. An iffy technique.

So, I'm thinking that I'll put a ball check oiler in the tool-hose
adapter and be able to apply oil where it's needed. I have a nice old
Eagle pump oiler to use.

Anybody see why this might be a Bad Idea?

Thanks,
Bob

The oiler:
http://www.nelsonslocomotive.com/Hei...lHoleCover.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I have a air angle grinder that I have a permanent hose whip on (to
eliminate the quick-connect fittings & make it more maneuverable).

The problem is, to oil the grinder I put the oil in the end of the
5'hose. An iffy technique.

So, I'm thinking that I'll put a ball check oiler in the tool-hose
adapter and be able to apply oil where it's needed. I have a nice old
Eagle pump oiler to use.

Anybody see why this might be a Bad Idea?

Thanks,
Bob

The oiler:
http://www.nelsonslocomotive.com/Hei...lHoleCover.jpg

No problem oiling at 5 feet. My inline oil mister is close to 30 feet
from the tools.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/31/2016 9:36 PM, Steve W. wrote:
No problem oiling at 5 feet. My inline oil mister is close to 30 feet
from the tools.

OK - I envisioned my drops of oil coating the inside of the hose & never
getting to the grinder. Until the entire hose was coated with, what, 2
oz of oil?

And would mist be different than drops as far getting to the tool?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 7/31/2016 9:36 PM, Steve W. wrote:
No problem oiling at 5 feet. My inline oil mister is close to 30 feet
from the tools.

OK - I envisioned my drops of oil coating the inside of the hose & never
getting to the grinder. Until the entire hose was coated with, what, 2
oz of oil?

And would mist be different than drops as far getting to the tool?

Thanks,
Bob

Not in any practical use. The oil will move with the air.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 21:53:43 -0400
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

On 7/31/2016 9:36 PM, Steve W. wrote:
No problem oiling at 5 feet. My inline oil mister is close to 30 feet
from the tools.

OK - I envisioned my drops of oil coating the inside of the hose & never
getting to the grinder. Until the entire hose was coated with, what, 2
oz of oil?

And would mist be different than drops as far getting to the tool?

My two whips are only 2 feet long but I had the same concern, thoughts
about oiling. Steve uses his stuff way more than I ever will so it
is good to hear his comment.

I recently took the whip off my 3/8 inch impact. I would avoid using it
because I didn't like the whip. Think it was too stiff. Anyway I tend
to grab it more now without the whip on it...

I had been thinking about drilling a cross hole in one of the hose
fittings close to the tool. I was just going to thread it, maybe 8/32.
Then plug it with knurl-head bolt with maybe an O-ring as a washer.
Just spin it out, add the drip or two of oil and turn it back in
(shrug).

I've seen some of those oilers you were thinking of using with missing
balls. Not sure how well they would hold up with 90 psi constantly
trying to get by them...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 01/08/16 02:03, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I have a air angle grinder that I have a permanent hose whip on (to
eliminate the quick-connect fittings & make it more maneuverable).

The problem is, to oil the grinder I put the oil in the end of the
5'hose. An iffy technique.

So, I'm thinking that I'll put a ball check oiler in the tool-hose
adapter and be able to apply oil where it's needed. I have a nice old
Eagle pump oiler to use.

Anybody see why this might be a Bad Idea?

Thanks,
Bob

The oiler:
http://www.nelsonslocomotive.com/Hei...lHoleCover.jpg

What about this type of oiler designed to fit between the airline and
tool https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...in-line-oiler/ .
I suspect you can get them from the usual suspects in the states.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 07/31/2016 06:03 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I have a air angle grinder that I have a permanent hose whip on (to
eliminate the quick-connect fittings & make it more maneuverable).

I have been using a 5' whip on my right angle die grinder, and oiling at
the end. There has been no shortage of oil in the exhaust air, so it is
pretty clear that the oil is getting to the tool.

BobH
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 7/31/2016 9:36 PM, Steve W. wrote:

snip

I recently took the whip off my 3/8 inch impact. I would avoid using it
because I didn't like the whip. Think it was too stiff. Anyway I tend to
grab it more now without the whip on it...

I had been thinking about drilling a cross hole in one of the hose
fittings close to the tool. I was just going to thread it, maybe 8/32.
Then plug it with knurl-head bolt with maybe an O-ring as a washer. Just
spin it out, add the drip or two of oil and turn it back in (shrug).

I've seen some of those oilers you were thinking of using with missing
balls. Not sure how well they would hold up with 90 psi constantly
trying to get by them...

snip

Long ago, I found why whips are used on air tools. I couldn't keep a
cleco 1/2" air quick connect together because the vibration from the 90
gun sheared off the lugs (gets exciting when that happens). The 5' whip
to a steel hose nipple eliminated that problem. I was chipping the acid
tile lining out of a salvaged 3' dia. column on its side. We re-used
several sections as vessels in a pilot plant. Nasty job.

Probably not as important on a rotary tool.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 01 Aug 2016 18:35:37 GMT
Pete Keillor wrote:

snip
Long ago, I found why whips are used on air tools. I couldn't keep a
cleco 1/2" air quick connect together because the vibration from the 90
gun sheared off the lugs (gets exciting when that happens). The 5' whip
to a steel hose nipple eliminated that problem. I was chipping the acid
tile lining out of a salvaged 3' dia. column on its side. We re-used
several sections as vessels in a pilot plant. Nasty job.

Probably not as important on a rotary tool.

You definitely had a unique problem/solution with that job. Kind of in
a different league to what most of us think of as air tools we
commonly use around the house

I was hoping to get more maneuverability in tight areas. An industrial
style air coupler makes for a stiff, bulky spot right below the pistol
grip on my 3/8 impact. A longer hose like the others mentioned would
help in some ways but not so good for putting it away. I already have a
lot of clutter. Adding 5 ft of hose wouldn't be helpful keeping stuff
untangled in its hidy-hole...

I've got one of the HF Swivel Whips like this but much shorter on my
3/8 inch air ratchet:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ose-98944.html

It looks like they don't sell the short version anymore. I don't use it
much. So I don't know how well it will hold up. Suspect it will leak at
the swivel if it gets much use.

On a side note/question. How do people use the air ratchets? Like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...het-47214.html

Best I can figure out is to use it like a regular ratchet and then hit
the air once you get something broken loose (shrug).

I thought it would be handy at times but I rarely go dig it out...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/1/2016 9:29 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 21:53:43 -0400

I recently took the whip off my 3/8 inch impact. I would avoid using it
because I didn't like the whip. Think it was too stiff. Anyway I tend
to grab it more now without the whip on it...

I know what you mean about too-stiff hoses. I am very particular about
having flexible hoses, at least those that connect directly to the tool.

I've seen some of those oilers you were thinking of using with missing
balls. ...

That's not good ... thanks for the heads-up.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/1/2016 4:27 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
I was hoping to get more maneuverability in tight areas. An industrial
style air coupler makes for a stiff, bulky spot right below the pistol
grip on my 3/8 impact. A longer hose like the others mentioned would
help in some ways but not so good for putting it away. I already have a
lot of clutter. Adding 5 ft of hose wouldn't be helpful keeping stuff
untangled in its hidy-hole...

Yep & yep ... no coupler & my grinder hangs beside the bench

... So I don't know how well it will hold up. Suspect it will leak at
the swivel if it gets much use.

I have a swivel on my air grinder. It definitely helps with
maneuverability. Like you, I was suspicious about its holding up, but
it hasn't leaked yet.
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...tor-68196.html

On a side note/question. How do people use the air ratchets? Like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...het-47214.html

Best I can figure out is to use it like a regular ratchet and then hit
the air once you get something broken loose (shrug).

I thought it would be handy at times but I rarely go dig it out...

Me too ... I probably used it once. Anybody want it?

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/1/2016 9:39 AM, David Billington wrote:
What about this type of oiler designed to fit between the airline and
tool https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...in-line-oiler/ .
I suspect you can get them from the usual suspects in the states.

Hey ... I have one of those, bouncing around in the "air" drawer. Good
use for it. Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/1/2016 9:50 AM, BobH wrote:

I have been using a 5' whip on my right angle die grinder, and oiling at
the end. There has been no shortage of oil in the exhaust air, so it is
pretty clear that the oil is getting to the tool.

That's what I wanted to hear!

I'm going to ditch the ball oiler idea and put the in-line oiler at the
far end of the whip.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:
On a side note/question. How do people use the air ratchets? Like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...het-47214.html

Best I can figure out is to use it like a regular ratchet and then hit
the air once you get something broken loose (shrug).

I thought it would be handy at times but I rarely go dig it out...

The cheap ones with low torque are handy as bolt/nut runners when you
are dealing with multiple fasteners per job.

I have two micro sized 3/8" impact units (70 lb.ft.)that get used a LOT.
Very handy as a day to day tool. Also great when you are in a tight
engine bay and have very little room to swing a ratchet.

As for whips. The primary reason is because the primary wear area on an
air line is the fitting at the tool. I've used a variety of swivels,
couplers and such to increase mobility. So far the one that actually
seems to actually work well is this style

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...tor-68196.html

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 01 Aug 2016 17:21:51 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 8/1/2016 9:50 AM, BobH wrote:

I have been using a 5' whip on my right angle die grinder, and oiling at
the end. There has been no shortage of oil in the exhaust air, so it is
pretty clear that the oil is getting to the tool.

That's what I wanted to hear!

I'm going to ditch the ball oiler idea and put the in-line oiler at the
far end of the whip.

Thanks,
Bob

If you guys put a T at the end of your air connection..and put an
oiler on one side and a straight air connection at the other..and keep
(1) hose for doing stuff that needs oil...it works out very well.
Obviously you cant spray paint with the same hose you were running oil
mist through..so you buy a second hose..different color..and use it
for your "painting hose"
Same oil hose works fine with the spray duster most of the time..that
small amount of left over oil wont hurt anything unless you are
spraying old art works or electronic assemblies..in which case..you
use the "painting hose".

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

On a side note/question. How do people use the air ratchets? Like
this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...het-47214.html

Best I can figure out is to use it like a regular ratchet and then hit
the air once you get something broken loose (shrug).

I thought it would be handy at times but I rarely go dig it out...

Just put it on the bolt , pull the trigger , and watch the nut/bolt spin .
The whole idea here is to spin that nut where you haven't got room to swing
a ratchet handle . I love mine particularly for disassembly , reassembly not
always .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 20:33:10 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:

On a side note/question. How do people use the air ratchets? Like
this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...het-47214.html

Best I can figure out is to use it like a regular ratchet and then hit
the air once you get something broken loose (shrug).

I thought it would be handy at times but I rarely go dig it out...

Just put it on the bolt , pull the trigger , and watch the nut/bolt spin .
The whole idea here is to spin that nut where you haven't got room to swing
a ratchet handle . I love mine particularly for disassembly , reassembly not
always .

I used them daily when I wrenched for a living. Since then, I've used
the impactor far more often for both screws and bolts. And both on
and off the job. I'll use the air ratchet the next time I need to
take the plate off the front underside of my Tundra, though. Those 5
bolts are long and fine, so a regular ratchet took some time.

--
It is easier to fool people than it is to
convince people that they have been fooled.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 01 Aug 2016 14:39:42 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

On 01/08/16 02:03, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I have a air angle grinder that I have a permanent hose whip on (to
eliminate the quick-connect fittings & make it more maneuverable).

The problem is, to oil the grinder I put the oil in the end of the
5'hose. An iffy technique.

So, I'm thinking that I'll put a ball check oiler in the tool-hose
adapter and be able to apply oil where it's needed. I have a nice old
Eagle pump oiler to use.

Anybody see why this might be a Bad Idea?

Thanks,
Bob

The oiler:
http://www.nelsonslocomotive.com/Hei...lHoleCover.jpg

What about this type of oiler designed to fit between the airline and
tool https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...in-line-oiler/ .
I suspect you can get them from the usual suspects in the states.

I have always squirted a couple drops in the end of the air tool as I
first used it, then every other day thereafter if they were constantly
in use. I've thought it a waste to use an oiler, and none of my FRLs
have ever seen oil. shrug

--
It is easier to fool people than it is to
convince people that they have been fooled.
--Mark Twain
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 20:33:10 -0500
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:

On a side note/question. How do people use the air ratchets? Like
this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...het-47214.html

Best I can figure out is to use it like a regular ratchet and then hit
the air once you get something broken loose (shrug).

I thought it would be handy at times but I rarely go dig it out...

Just put it on the bolt , pull the trigger , and watch the nut/bolt spin .
The whole idea here is to spin that nut where you haven't got room to swing
a ratchet handle . I love mine particularly for disassembly , reassembly not
always .

Yah but... that means you had to break it loose with something else
first. Unless you planned ahead, then go dig out the air ratchet, maybe
find a socket, plug in the compressor, reel out the air hose... or just
keep at it with whatever you broke it loose with.

And that's why I don't use it very much. Any time I plan ahead it isn't
needed and when it would be handy it isn't worth the time to dig it
out ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 01 Aug 2016 19:45:45 -0400
"Steve W." wrote:

snip
The cheap ones with low torque are handy as bolt/nut runners when you
are dealing with multiple fasteners per job.

See my other reply to Terry about digging it out. Suspect you have the
air ratchet out already because you do more of that type of work.

I have two micro sized 3/8" impact units (70 lb.ft.)that get used a LOT.
Very handy as a day to day tool. Also great when you are in a tight
engine bay and have very little room to swing a ratchet.

As for whips. The primary reason is because the primary wear area on an
air line is the fitting at the tool. I've used a variety of swivels,
couplers and such to increase mobility. So far the one that actually
seems to actually work well is this style

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...tor-68196.html

Thanks for that recommendation. I've considered getting one of those. I
have the little HF Screwdriver:

http://www.harborfreight.com/reversi...ver-90059.html

Other than the power control knob, with isn't really marked (hard to
preset), I like it okay. Really nice for spinning a bunch of small
screws out of small appliances or electronics chassis. But it really
needs some sort of swivel on it and a flexible hose to be comfortable
to use. May pick one of those up someday and see if it helps.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 20:33:10 -0500
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:

On a side note/question. How do people use the air ratchets? Like
this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...het-47214.html

Best I can figure out is to use it like a regular ratchet and then
hit the air once you get something broken loose (shrug).

I thought it would be handy at times but I rarely go dig it out...

Just put it on the bolt , pull the trigger , and watch the nut/bolt
spin . The whole idea here is to spin that nut where you haven't got
room to swing a ratchet handle . I love mine particularly for
disassembly , reassembly not always .

Yah but... that means you had to break it loose with something else
first. Unless you planned ahead, then go dig out the air ratchet,
maybe find a socket, plug in the compressor, reel out the air hose...
or just keep at it with whatever you broke it loose with.

Umm , I use the air ratchet to break them loose too , just hold the
trigger down and pull . It's a rare bolt that I can't break loose that way .
The ratchet lives in the tool box with the sockets and extensions , the air
hose is always handy and the compressor is always on . Nothing more
irritating to me than using a hand ratchet to unscrew something one click at
a time .

And that's why I don't use it very much. Any time I plan ahead it
isn't needed and when it would be handy it isn't worth the time to
dig it out ;-)

I think that once you become accustomed to using one it'll be one of your
favorite tools - of course this depends on how much and what kind of
wrenchin' you actually do . For instance I don't break it out to pull the
drain plug when doing an oil change , but do if I'm doing a water pump swap
on a SB Chevy motor . It's all about having the right tool for the job and
using it ...
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 07:58:51 -0500
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

snip
Umm , I use the air ratchet to break them loose too , just hold the
trigger down and pull . It's a rare bolt that I can't break loose that way .
The ratchet lives in the tool box with the sockets and extensions , the air
hose is always handy and the compressor is always on . Nothing more
irritating to me than using a hand ratchet to unscrew something one click at
a time .

Probably the cheapo HF model I have then. No way it will break
anything loose even remotely tight. Works fine once something is broke
loose. Never had another model to try out. It is the same one I linked
to in the earlier question.

Which is why I asked the question. You can use it just like a regular
ratchet. Pull on the body, break something loose and then hit the air
to finish removing it. I looked around here & there when I first got it
to find out how it was to be used. Didn't find anything useful...

Even though I have several impacts and a decent compressor I usually
just use hand tools. Helps my solid handshake grip ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b